Facebook reports "explosion at Suvarnabhumi airport" but it turns out to be an electrical fault

webfact

Facebook reports "explosion at Suvarnabhumi airport" but it turns out to be an electrical fault

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A poster went on Facebook to report an explosion in the AOB building at Suvarnabhumi airport causing sirens to go off and staff to be evacuated.

The AOB building is comprised of airport authority offices.

It turned out there was a power cut in the building for 20 minutes. Fire fighters were called but there were no injuries.

Thai Rath reported the problem was an electrical fault caused by a blown transformer.

They quoted the airports authority representative Chutrakoon Yotsamadee as saying he hadn't heard about any problem.

But later they admitted a breaker had been tripped after an electrical fault caused a reboot of the system.

The lengthy power cut comes just days after an EGAT chief said that outages in Bangkok were a thing of the past.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-21

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

They quoted the airports authority representative Chutrakoon Yotsamadee as saying he hadn't heard about any problem.

But later they admitted a breaker had been tripped after an electrical fault caused a reboot of the system.

A Thai in denial ?

As Tom Jones once sang...................... It's not unusual ! 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath reported the problem was an electrical fault caused by a blown transformer

Ever been near one of these when they blow???  I have been and lost partial hearing in my right ear from one blowing at a chemical plant where I was working.  Also, got knocked off my feet and I was over 100meters away.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Facebook certainly not helping itself with image in Kingdom.

Do you expect Facebook to hold and verify each post from its 2,000,000,000 users? How about that being the responsibility of the poster?

Anyway, it was indeed an explosion. No-one suggested it was a bomb, so actually it's a total non-story. Other than someone didn't know what was going on there which, again, is also a non-story in Thailand.

"The lengthy power cut comes just days after an EGAT chief said that outages in Bangkok were a thing of the past."  :cheesy: 

Sounds like he is 'eyeing off' (practicing for) the PM's job :whistling:

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The lengthy power cut comes just days after an EGAT chief said that outages in Bangkok were a thing of the past.

and it seems true; a blown transformer has nothing to do with the overall power feed