Tourist visa rejected could it be racism?

24 minutes ago, bill38 said:

I don't think we're getting the full story here.

Post a picture of the rejection stamp on your passport.

What were the questions the IO asked you?

+1 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

If anyone has ever been in the search and detention area at lets say LAX, it is full of middle eastern, asians, etc.  Not many white folks.

I think it is more profiling then racism attitudes.

Yes, who knows but I think people from certain areas of the world now are looked at more closely.

Maybe it is all a good thing considering, maybe.......

I wouldn't take the word racism so LITERALLY.

Profiling is often related to discrimination (simply meaning different treatment) based on nationality and nationalities are usually not as diverse as a nation like the USA, as far as perceived  stereotypical race, ethnicity, religious identity.

I take the OP's use of word "racism" in a more generic, general way.

The stereotype in Thailand is that Europe, Australia, USA are  mostly "white" Christian cultural nations.

Not getting overly PC here, sometimes such profiling can have rationality behind it. 

When security at airports might look more closely at Muslim man that has recently traveled to Pakistan over a 90 year old white granny, can people seriously say that is always irrational? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

When security at airports might look more closely at Muslim man that has recently traveled to Pakistan over a 90 year old white granny, can people seriously say that is always irrational? 

Personally, in such cases, I would say extra scrutiny is reasonable. However, after questioning, I think officials should be careful to be scrupulously fair in their eventual decision, and not allow racial profiling to dominate the decision making. Note that I am not claiming this applies to the OP or any other specific decision. That is unknowable. The criteria for denying entry are murky, and we do not know what is in the official's head at any particular point in time.

3 hours ago, Califoniadreaming82 said:

I am the OP of this thread. Let me clarify the specific reason I was denied by immigration was that I didn't have the 20k in funds. But that was bullshit because I had that much baht on my person.

My whole point in bringing this experience to Thai visa is just to share my experience, and given how I was treated I surmised that I was being discriminated against based on my race, because I have other friends of European decent with an American passport (same passport as me!) who have been in Thailand for like 18 months consecutively on multiple tourist visas. This is why I think the immigration official was discriminating because she had no right to deny me entry into Thailand when other guys I know have been in Thailand longer on tourists visas. 

Have any of you spent time in  the inside of a detention center? It was a horrible experience. 

194385.jpg

You was not discriminated against because of your race so stop claiming you were, it's getting boring

3 hours ago, Califoniadreaming82 said:

I am the OP of this thread. Let me clarify the specific reason I was denied by immigration was that I didn't have the 20k in funds. But that was bullshit because I had that much baht on my person.

My whole point in bringing this experience to Thai visa is just to share my experience, and given how I was treated I surmised that I was being discriminated against based on my race, because I have other friends of European decent with an American passport (same passport as me!) who have been in Thailand for like 18 months consecutively on multiple tourist visas. This is why I think the immigration official was discriminating because she had no right to deny me entry into Thailand when other guys I know have been in Thailand longer on tourists visas. 

Have any of you spent time in  the inside of a detention center? It was a horrible experience. 

194385.jpg

So what you are saying is the IO lied and stamped your passport refused due to lack of funds?

4 hours ago, Califoniadreaming82 said:

194385.jpg

It's based on your nationality.

You're not Thai and that's the only important nationality in the world, everyone else is inferior.

This is why I call it xenophobia rather than racism.

Given the chance I suspect they would deny all foreigners entry but they can't because at the moment they like the tourist dollar too much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Califoniadreaming82 said:

CD, where are you at this moment back in the Phills or somewhere else, do you intend trying a re-entry?

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It's based on your nationality.

You're not Thai and that's the only important nationality in the world, everyone else is inferior.

This is why I call it xenophobia rather than racism.

Given the chance I suspect they would deny all foreigners entry but they can't because at the moment they like the tourist dollar too much.

That can apply to many countries I guess.  Sorry if a political statement but I think most Republicans in the USA feel the same they basically hate people from other countries coming to the US.  Most I know also never travel outside the US as they have the, "why give them my money, I am going to keep it here in the US" attitude.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

That can apply to many countries I guess.  Sorry if a political statement but I think most Republicans in the USA feel the same they basically hate people from other countries coming to the US.  Most I know also never travel outside the US as they have the, "why give them my money, I am going to keep it here in the US" attitude.

You're right of course but this is about Thailand so what happens elsewhere is irrelevant.

28 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

They are pro immigration or at least neutral, when people assimilate and share the same values. Whereas Democrats over-encourage immigration regardless of assimilation / values because immigrants overwhelmingly vote Democrat. 

As for Thailand most us aren't even trying to 'migrate' (become citizens, vote, buy land, work, claim benefits, change the culture in any way etc.) we're just tourists that spend tons of money. 

32 minutes ago, jspill said:

They are pro immigration or at least neutral, when people assimilate and share the same values. Whereas Democrats over-encourage immigration regardless of assimilation / values because immigrants overwhelmingly vote Democrat. 

As for Thailand most us aren't even trying to 'migrate' (become citizens, vote, buy land, work, claim benefits, change the culture in any way etc.) we're just tourists that spend tons of money. 

Your last sentance does seem quite right on this forum. Agreed most CANT become citizens due to Thailands rules. But the rest of your last sentence save spending money is dubious on here. Seems to me reading various threads on Thailands issues the over ridding theme is to turn it into a nanny state like most expats come from.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

I do not think it was Racism.  In the sense that typically they either don't care about your race or lump you into one of two categories (Thai and Not-Thai).  So nothing more specific than that.

If it was Racism, there would be so few Indians here, because they are not looked fondly upon

What is concerning is that they state you did not have 20k in cash, and you say you had 20k in cash.  Can you confirm it was at least the equivalent of 20k THB in cash in your hand and you were able to show it to them?  Did you show it to them?  Did you ask for their supervisor?

On 7/24/2017 at 2:57 PM, tonray said:

Your visa history would not indicate any abuse of the system IMHO. Did they stamp your passport?  What was the law section cited? 

I would say 9 months straight in Thailand, then out for 2 months to the Philippines and straight back again DOES make abuse very likely in the eyes of the IO's. His age would also be a big factor. 

17 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I do not think it was Racism.  In the sense that typically they either don't care about your race or lump you into one of two categories (Thai and Not-Thai).  So nothing more specific than that.

If it was Racism, there would be so few Indians here, because they are not looked fondly upon

What is concerning is that they state you did not have 20k in cash, and you say you had 20k in cash.  Can you confirm it was at least the equivalent of 20k THB in cash in your hand and you were able to show it to them?  Did you show it to them?  Did you ask for their supervisor?

There appears to be a pattern emerging over the last couple of weeks.

Various people have been denied entry, they've been told that 'we suspect you are going to work' but that doesn't appear to be a valid reason to deny entry so they deny entry based on not having enough money to support yourself.

It doesn't seem to matter whether you have the money or not. They don't care. This much is clear based on past reports.

So to put it as clear as possible for any Thai people who might be reading this : Immigration are lying and denying entry to people without having a good reason.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I don't think they look upon anyone fondly these days, including white folk. Sure, they like our money, but that's about it. It's more about xenophobia than racism.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

I don't think they look upon anyone fondly these days, including white folk. Sure, they like our money, but that's about it. It's more about xenophobia than racism.

No its thaivisaphobia.

meaning We decided whos wrong as long as its immigration.

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

No its thaivisaphobia.

meaning We decided whos wrong as long as its immigration.

Really? I wasn't even thinking about Immigration when I made that comment.

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

So to put it as clear as possible for any Thai people who might be reading this : Immigration are lying and denying entry to people without having a good reason.

Clear or not Thai will never read this forum and will never understand English ! hahaha

This is the OP of the thread.

For those of you asking to post my passport page with the stamp that is not for public viewing. The stamp they gave me has the IO's name and signature and other numbers that might give me issues down the line if I try to come back to Thailand. I have provided details already about the questions they asked me about living here and working. 

I believe this was due to discrimination/racism and I stand by my assertion.

Edited by Califoniadreaming82

4 minutes ago, Califoniadreaming82 said:

This is the OP of the thread.

For those of you asking to post my passport page with the stamp that is not for public viewing. The stamp they gave me has the IO's name and signature and other numbers that might give me issues down the line if I try to come back to Thailand. I have provided details already about the questions they asked me about living here and working. 

I believe this was due to discrimination/racism and I stand by my assertion.

Well im sorry i dont believe you at. I belive the 20k reason was just there way of refusing you as you have been  living here using a mixture of visa's nothing to do with so called Racism.

Edited by jeab1980