Former Thai PM Yingluck Shinawatra has fled Thailand for Singapore - report

webfact

They've done a better job of tackling corruption than the previous governments. Elections are desperately needed, but police reform is required first. Time will tell if that happens.

You seem a reasonable guy based on your postings.But I can assure you that your assumptions on corruption are very wide of the mark.Certainly there have been some high profile cases of prosecution but these have been highly selective and political, the background to which is not for discussion.

Other than this there has been no real change and corruption at all levels continues.Military corruption is off limits for any kind of scrutiny.Anybody connected to the corporate world will tell you the same thing.At the petty level - customs, police etc nobody pretends there has been any improvement.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, wvavin said:

The PM said he has no idea where is Yingluck so is the immigration. The whole Thai government has no clue on who is leaving the country.

Why would they know unless there is a specific order sent out on a watch list.

Tens of thousands of people enter and leave Thailand on a daily basis.

3 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You seem a reasonable guy based on your postings.But I can assure you that your assumptions on corruption are very wide of the mark.Certainly there have been some high profile cases of prosecution but these have been highly selective and political, the background to which is not for discussion.

Other than this there has been no real change and corruption at all levels continues.Military corruption is off limits for any kind of scrutiny.Anybody connected to the corporate world will tell you the same thing.At the petty level - customs, police etc nobody pretends there has been any improvement.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Right after the coup, we went to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai. At every police check point was an army guy. Making sure things were being handled properly. No backhanders to let stuff get through. As has been happening for years.

Police corruption seems down. Many police checkpoints are gone. No more blatant ripoffs. Overall, corruption is probably about the same. But i feel at the lowest level,  it's gone down.

Thailand has a long way to go!

14 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Public forums in police reform started this week. Not an easy process and no guarantees anything will happen. But I've seen improvements the past few years. Sadly, not enough.

"Public forum" a committee! chaired by the former editor of Thailand's biggest selling newspaper, also on any other committee that will have him! He will have to come to terms with a lot of personal issues before anything positive comes out of this process, he certainly did little fact reporting during his term as editor, also as "journalist advisor, then they not even deem it necessary to make the findings public! guess it will make some believe they are doing something, if not sure Manit will be more than willing to form another "committee"! Smoke & mirrors!

Run YL run        :shock1:

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Sa Kaeo immigration officers step up vehicle checks in search for Yingluck

By The Nation

edc6a320e128e8fc91d7abe8b1c509a4-sld.jpeg

Immigration police and troops at the Aranyaprathet border checkpoint in Sa Kaeo province on Friday stepped up their checks of vehicles leaving the country as part of the search for former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The ex-PM had failed earlier in the day to attend the Supreme Court to hear the judgement in the rice-pledging case against her.

At 10am, Sa Kaeo immigration police chief Pol Colonel Benjapol Rodsawat issued an urgent order for officials manning the checkpoint to strictly check all vehicles leaving the Kingdom.

Following the order, the immigration police and troops opened all vehicles to check the passengers. They especially examined vehicles with Cambodian licence plates.

Benjapol also sought help from Colonel Nirot Thongmuan, commander of the 12th Ranger Taskforce, Maj-General Hathaitep Kirati-angkul, commander of the 19th Army Circle, and Aranyaprathet district chief Soawanit Suriyakul to intensively check vehicles travelling on border roads in the district.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324883

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-8-25

Forget Aranyaprathet; last I heard she was the middleaged dancer in a Walking Street a-go-go. Was advised not to reveal the name of the establishment for fear of Issan invasion!

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

They've done a better job of tackling corruption than the previous governments. Elections are desperately needed, but police reform is required first. Time will tell if that happens.

Eh?? How is it better?

Is it not obvious to anybody why multi-billion dollar government contracts are being let hand over fist repeatedly like never before.

its unbelievable. Almost as if there is no time to lose.

18 hours ago, bdenner said:

PM admits he has no idea about Ms Yingluck’s whereabouts

When it comes to justice in this country this guy has no idea about anything!

Edit:

OR he has EVERY idea and just taking advantage of being on top of the food chain.

....and smokescreening the Thai people with statements "Find Yingluck"....."Security forces stepping up their checks on vehicles leaving the country"...."Immigration have no record of her leaving the country"....and the classic "Police/security forces haven't seen her leave her house"..:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

"Public forum" a committee! chaired by the former editor of Thailand's biggest selling newspaper, also on any other committee that will have him! He will have to come to terms with a lot of personal issues before anything positive comes out of this process, he certainly did little fact reporting during his term as editor, also as "journalist advisor, then they not even deem it necessary to make the findings public! guess it will make some believe they are doing something, if not sure Manit will be more than willing to form another "committee"! Smoke & mirrors!

Run YL run        :shock1:

You make it sound like a democratic government. 

18 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

How do you know?

Seen it many times just go to the river that separates Thailand from its neighboring countries and you will see many small boats some fishing some crossing no immigration or customs.

3 hours ago, CGW said:

I would seriously question this statement?

If there is any truth in it they have done a lousy job of stopping corruption, but then they did hand control back to the folks who had lost the rights to control the endemic corruption!:shock1:

Well, it definitely was their stated reason. Actual reason is probably power and greed.

3 hours ago, CGW said:

I would seriously question this statement?

If there is any truth in it they have done a lousy job of stopping corruption, but then they did hand control back to the folks who had lost the rights to control the endemic corruption!:shock1:

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I beg to disagree , you should have said ; " They PRETENDED one of the main reasons they took power was to stop corruption "

Yes, agreed. And now they are pretending they want her in jail and pretending like they didnt let her flee.

Right after the coup, we went to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai. At every police check point was an army guy. Making sure things were being handled properly. No backhanders to let stuff get through. As has been happening for years.

Police corruption seems down. Many police checkpoints are gone. No more blatant ripoffs. Overall, corruption is probably about the same. But i feel at the lowest level,  it's gone down.

Thailand has a long way to go!

Yes I agree immediately after the coup there was an improvement at the petty level.However this didn't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, choff56 said:

Then can you or anybody else in this thread with the same theory please explain to me why the junta would start this farce of a trial in the first place. Your giving a blind repressive military dic Junta too much credit. Anybody in Thailand with money can buy their way out without a passport. Yingluck can still play the martyr card from outside of Thailand where she can definitely do more to finally stop military rule. The repressive Thai Junta's hate of social media just went up a few notches today. The masses will win this war.

im guessing that the money they siezed or she willingly gave as bail bond was enough for them to proceed no matter the outcome

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I read a year back doesnt cut it,pathetic slander.Prove it in court.

Easy to say it is slander go out and get the information for me?  Right here right now everyone is just expressing their opinion. Ridiculous prove it in court. I tell you what take me to court and get be to prove it, now isn't that comment stupid? I'm going to do the work for you do it yourself!

2 minutes ago, drummer boy said:

We all new that would  happen before it happend in the first place same as  the last one got away how did she get a flight with out people knowing bets me ! 

she went through Don Muang first and had a disguise on ....   she was in the immigration line 1 hour so nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

As noted,  I don't know whether she is guilty or not but all this stuff is really a waste of time for the Thai people and interesting to us to give us a chance to vent a bit. I've said in the past, red, yellow, green, blue, purple, it is about who can be in charge so they can benefit themselves. The current PM, was put in charge because he has the respect of the Army thus if things exploded thing will be in ordered. And not surprise it was done a few years before the man past away. Can you imagine what would be going on now the Army wasn't put in charge. The guy is just a puppet of the main faction. Whenever someone got to take the Charter to the main house for approval it is a big signal. When you read his mandate the guy doesn't know his left from the right after one gets over the patriotic B.S. 

She made the right move, had a backup plan because the fix was in from the first day the same reason the brother took off. They had it out for her the first day even before she got into office. Look at it this way? they have announced the verdict but issue a warrant for her? That tells me the guilty verdict was already in? They could easily just announced the verdict if not guilty end of story, but someone already knew she just played it to the end just in case?

See the family did what Mao did in general to get the masses in particular outside of Bangkok, to support them. Brother gave the people healthcare, sister up the minimum wage and let the farmers get double for their rice, that is why the support?

The storm is coming?

Now someone? is going to say slander take me to court prove it?  I'm thinking is the fix in get a backup plan?

17 hours ago, Tharathorn said:

i like how farangs on here think that the junta are the bad guys and yingluck the good guy.

yes they are not officially elected but do you think yingluck or thaksin were :)?

you know how many people commited suicide cause of the rice scam?

since the junta took control,crime and corruption has been reduced.

in the early days most cases connected to powerful people were swept under the rug.now its much harder.

Well.. absolutely they were elected regardless of your view of the electoral process.  And the junta was not!

It is reasoning like this which makes it impossible to discuss matters with people who are clearly unable to see reality.

Archived