A food shop was ordered closed after three died from eating salad from the shop

webfact

A food shop was ordered closed after three died from eating salad from the shop

By Thai PBS

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37QEOouLgcrXw7yxz41Gq2Lk

A food shop that sells jackfruit salad(Soop Kanoon) in the fresh market of Tambon Nadoon, Nadoon district of Maha Sarakham was ordered closed indefinitely after it was reported that over 20 people who ate the soup bought from the shop suffered severe diarrhea and three of them have died at the district hospital.

A team of health inspectors were sent to the district hospital to investigate after it was reported that 27 people had been admitted to the hospital after they suffered severe diarrhea and illness. Three of them later died at the hospital.

One of the three dead victims was identified as Mrs Boonpun Wannavichit, 73. Her son-in-law, Boonlert Srikuta, said on November 11, a family member bought jackfruit salad from the shop in the market. He added that four family members, including Mrs Boonpun, ate the soup and all of them suffered severe diarrhea while three others who didn’t eat were fine.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/food-shop-ordered-closed-three-died-eating-salad-shop/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-21

7 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

They could hardly close it down before anyone got sick.......Seems a fairly quick response to me...

Well in my home country these restaurant owner and his cook would immediately be staying in a police cell till all is sorted out..

Edited by Destiny1990

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well in my home country these restaurant owner and his staff would be immediately be staying in a police cell till all is sorted out..

Ah, I understand the meaning of your post now........Only close the shop, yet nothing done with the owners....:sorry:

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well in my home country these restaurant owner and his cook would immediately be staying in a police cell till all is sorted out..

..it quite work that way..faecal samples have to be taken, swabs from the restaurant, food receptacles, the alleged food itself, cultures have to be done..at least 48hrs for a microbiology result then if found the strain of whatever it is has to be matched to each of the other samples..in the case of Salmonella i think there is 13-15 different strains..as a result you can't go round lucking people up on a whim until concrete evidence is obtained..the Thai Health Dept has the power to suspend the trading of any food outlet on suspicion alone, until lab results are returned to them as it is a public health issue.

Weren't they in the race for a Thai Michelin star ???

Their customers were in the race for a toilet...

I'm having at least once per month a food poisoning.

Last food poisoning was last Saturday evening when I had dinner with a friend at Easy Ribs & Wings in Central World. 

Won't go there any more. Lousy staff, getting the bill (for 6 persons (3,995 THB), while we were a party of 2) before they even had served any food. Getting a warm Pepsi without ice. Waiting for ice cubes for about 20 min. Waiting for the ribs & wings for 90 minutes and getting the salad as desert. Then waiting for the correct bill another 45 minutes. Started at 5:30 PM, finished at 8:30 PM. At 10 PM having severe diarrhea. Sick all night long till Sunday late afternoon.

28 minutes ago, tandor said:

..it quite work that way..faecal samples have to be taken, swabs from the restaurant, food receptacles, the alleged food itself, cultures have to be done..at least 48hrs for a microbiology result then if found the strain of whatever it is has to be matched to each of the other samples..in the case of Salmonella i think there is 13-15 different strains..as a result you can't go round lucking people up on a whim until concrete evidence is obtained..the Thai Health Dept has the power to suspend the trading of any food outlet on suspicion alone, until lab results are returned to them as it is a public health issue.

Murder investigation it needs.

1 hour ago, balo said:

What kind of bacteria will kill you ?  Must have been something nasty in that salad.  

Salmonella can definitely kill you. But even a common bacteria can kill people who are not healthy to begin with. The dehydration caused by the diarrhea can a cause complications with other existing health problems. 

I got dizzy after eating a 30B salad from the big market today. 

Suspect some chemical in the dressing.  I also ate some sai grok. 

Further experimentation of eating both separately again to determine which was the culprit.

E. Coli is the big killer in salads, even in the UK.  Salmonella is more in poultry and seafood.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36823404

By the way, anyone seen rocket (arugula) here in Thailand?

It's an aphrodisiac. ?

Edited by SiSePuede419
Removed $ sign

36 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

By the way, anyone seen rocket (arugula) here in Thailand?

I eat it weekly at my healthy restaurant here in Pattaya. 

99 baht for a complete salad meal. Never got sick there, 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d10438439-Reviews-Wooden_Box_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I used to order takeaway from the lady up the road, her food was really nice, until I went to collect it earlier than expected one day, I turn up, no one around, my food sitting there with fly's on it, ten she rocks up, just went across the road to the market, closes the cover on the take away container and I collected my take away.

The neighbours dog enjoyed the food, now I rarely eat out, wife is happy to cook for me anytime, and I haven't seen Mr Whippy minus the cone for a while

Image result for mr whippy ice cream

I used to order takeaway from the lady up the road, her food was really nice, until I went to collect it earlier than expected one day, I turn up, no one around, my food sitting there with fly's on it, ten she rocks up, just went across the road to the market, closes the cover on the take away container and I collected my take away.

The neighbours dog enjoyed the food, now I rarely eat out, wife is happy to cook for me anytime, and I haven't seen Mr Whippy minus the cone for a while

icecream__square.jpg&key=2451bc0f2f9d9ca8ccc2f15b0e4c2fa96d06bc074af534d734ba35fadc07832b
you better wrap yourself in a bubble because flies and food are everywhere in Thailand.

you could always go eat in a real resteraunt and spend 300 baht instead of 30..

8 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

you better wrap yourself in a bubble because flies and food are everywhere in Thailand.

you could always go eat in a real resteraunt and spend 300 baht instead of 30..

I only eat when in the bigger places, like the very expensive restaurants in Big C or Lotus, 50, 60, baht, smaller servings but at least the hygiene is a little better and less flies.

I also do eat at some good Thai restaurants where you see a lot of Thai families eating, bill for the family (6) can be near the 1,000 baht with a couple of bottles of beer.

But eat mostly at home, wife is chef grade material, and I am SICK and tired of ending up on drips, or having the runs for days because most Thai's have never been taught about hygiene, just look at any school, or the back of a school bus, one larger water bottle, and one cup for the masses, <deleted> 

Really, I'm surprised they didn't just tell the shop owners to fork out 2000 baht to each of the dead's family members, provide some clean salads for the funerals and apologize.  They will just open a shop somewhere else anyway.  That is the usual MO