Can You ID This Mini Pickup?

I contacted the resort (Na Nicha, Ban Krut), in front of which I saw it...apparently this is the owner. Either he doesn't understand English much or won't take the time to answer my question about who made it.

5a7ee16566ffb_nanichavw.thumb.jpg.63859ce03f40fab8b5ca5b1c4112dbfe.jpg

Edited by OliverKlozerof
image in wrong place
  • Thanks 1

Look thru the windshield. The line at the bottom of the side window and the corner where the body curves to meet the rear panel and glass.

Compare the front fascia and the lack of a curved front.

The line where the front edge of the door meets the front fascia.

Obvious which is the donor of the cab anyway.

Edited by canthai55

I'd have to say there's ZERO chance the cab is anything other than a Daihatsu Hijet. It's difficult to see much detail on the bed, but it appears to be sheet stock and was hand-made with flat panels. Again, I can't tell by the pic, but the sheeting may be rolled slightly where it's tacked at the bottom edge. FWIW , with no pics other than the front views, I'll have to go with the Daihatsu Hijet cab with a hand built bed.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 11:25 AM, chickenslegs said:

Looks like it could be a VW Transporter (T3) thats had a front end modification to look like an older model.

I don't know whether there was a T3 pickup version.

There was but if you look at the table and chairs in the background and OliverKlozerof in post#9 there is no way it can be a VW simply because of the size.

I would go for a Daihatsu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

There was but if you look at the table and chairs in the background and OliverKlozerof in post#9 there is no way it can be a VW simply because of the size.

That's not me in the photo, it's the vehicle's owner, Vitoon Jackie Pookjun Samarike. (I look like my avatar...more or less.)

But right--it's a mini truck; nowhere near as big as a full size VW.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 12:10 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

Googled VW Transporter, but nothing looked right. Pretty sure it began life as a Daihatsu Hijet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1985-1986_Daihatsu_Hijet_(S76)_600_4WD_cab_chassis_(22226394241).jpg

daihastu hijet.jpg

I think you may be correct, the cab/doors,vents etc are almost exact but the front has been modified in a VW style.

23 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

IMG_0332.JPG

Looks like a converted VW Camper Van to me.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How could that possibly be? Look at the shape of the door, the roofline, the back of the cab. It's a Hi-Jet with a VW emblem and maybe body-worked front end; the Hi-Jet is the common Thai four-wheeled tuk-tuk made by Daihatsu, with variants made by Suzuki and years ago, Honda, and maybe others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

That's not me in the photo, it's the vehicle's owner, Vitoon Jackie Pookjun Samarike. (I look like my avatar...more or less.)

But right--it's a mini truck; nowhere near as big as a full size VW.

It may not have been you but I was trying to compare the size of the truck with the objects around and behind it.

BTW, I asked the owner if it was expensive to build. He said he paid about B80,000 (about US$2500). Not sure what you all would think about that but...I think it's very cute, looks very well done. Seems like an OK price in order to get a one-of-a-kind run around toy. He also said an "engineer friend" and he made it. It took 4-5 months and "the idea came from Japan." (He didn't deny my assertion it's a Daihatsu body, so obviously it is.)

I'm not about to build one, but it's awfully cute.