Thailand aiming to be "Start-Up hub of SE Asia - visas made easy for tech entrepreneurs

webfact

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Most IT startups begin with 2-3 founders and are financed by them and/or angel investors.

Not sure what founders have to do with employee numbers anyway but looking a study that followed 104 tech startups, they found that only 4 of them had less than 5 employees after the first 6 months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Well, at the moment, most one man band digital nomads appear to be tolerated- even with a tourist visa.  I guess it could go one way or another- either they will be allowed access to one of these visas, or effectively it will be made unlawful (though possibly not enforced).

What does startup mean to you and what do you think it means to the government?  I seriously doubt that it means someone working online to them, even if it does to you!

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

That little one liner is actually enough that you feel it has been defined to you?  Did you think to try something other than that pocket dictionary tidbit?  

You can read a bit about what the term means here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startup_company

It is used for new ventures within emerging fields, not just any old new business in an old and well trodden field.

9 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What does startup mean to you and what do you think it means to the government?  I seriously doubt that it means someone working online to them, even if it does to you!

Exactly... at the moment the digital nomad prospers by lack of legal definition, but finding himself unable to qualify for an 'e-visa' might mark the beginning of a tougher stance.

Start up to me would imply someone commencing an independent business- however small- that is not merely freelancing (self employed).

Edited by mommysboy

15 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

That little one liner is actually enough that you feel it has been defined to you?  Did you think to try something other than that pocket dictionary tidbit?  

You can read a bit about what the term means here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Startup_company

It is used for new ventures within emerging fields, not just any old new business in an old and well trodden field.

Not so. I haven't checked. You have merely turned 'start up' in to an adjective and added the noun company.  A company tends to suggest something on a bigger scale.

But I have entirely lost track of the greater point you are making, and wonder why on earth you are arguing with me!

We both agree it probably will not include digital nomads of the kind most referred to!

Edited by mommysboy

4 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

Why would "tech talent" move to Thailand with shitty pay, red tape on everything from immigration to car ownership, and crumbling infrastructure when they could move to US/Canada/UK/EU/Singapore or a ton of other places where they can make waaaaaaay more money and stand the chance of owning a car and a house with minimal hassle, with citizenship and a decent passport to boot?

Every time there is a big nerdy tech convention in Las Vegas, prostitutes say their business SKYROCKETS. Not sure why that just came to mind . . .

2 minutes ago, quandow said:

Every time there is a big nerdy tech convention in Las Vegas, prostitutes say their business SKYROCKETS. Not sure why that just came to mind . . .

That probably applies to any convention in LA.  Guys away from home, spending company allowances!

Most of the "guys" I either personally know or know of didn't follow the "traditional" route to their success in the tech field, the reason being that they were already envisioning then actualizing far beyond the "conventional box."  Most that I personally know didn't finish their degrees because the developed and functional ability they had had already exceeded what they felt "they had to put up with" at uni.  The ones I personally know aren't the "big pioneer tech giants" of the world either, they just had an inherent interest in technology, design and invention which by natural default led them to continually experimenting, going through many trials and errors and inevitably by sustaining this developing their skills. 

Its the same as skaters I knew when I was young who would spend 5+ hours after school trying to perfect some "move."  The ones that stuck with it continually improved and some received sponsorship because of their skill.  Their skill wasn't taught in school or uni though however it can be measured by just looking at what they can do.

With higher level tech pioneers that's not always the case.  Elon Musk couldn't get a job because the people in charge or recruitment couldn't recognize his skill and so what he could bring to the company.  So in his own words he decided to start his own company.  The people I know who aren't at his level still baffle interviewers with their seemingly "natural knowledge" of technology but not so far that the interviewers can't see that they have uncommon skill and will be of great benefit to the company.  Recognizing that isn't always going to be the case though and it becomes more difficult when the assessment is made not only through a medium that has to coordinate between two languages but may not even get past the initial stages due to "certain boxes not being ticked"  on the forms.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tradewind777 said:

I bet there is no Thai word for entrepreneur, similar to other words not found in the Thai dictionary like “logic”, “planning” and the best one of course “hypocracy” Lol

Of course there is a word in Thai for entrepreneur, as well as entrepreneurial.   

For entrepreneurial there are two definitions in Thai.   One translates as 'willing to take risks' the other as 'relating to an entrepreneur'.

24 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Not so. I haven't checked. You have merely turned 'start up' in to an adjective and added the noun company.  A company tends to suggest something on a bigger scale.

But I have entirely lost track of the greater point you are making, and wonder why on earth you are arguing with me!

We both agree it probably will not include digital nomads of the kind most referred to!

Why I am arguing with you is because you posted "Not so!" onto one of my posts, you appeared to want to argue it yourself!  

You can only invest 49% of your smart brain, because other 51% comes from your partner. 

I am doubtful one will take the risk on that 51%.

One of the big corporate is having a design and innovation center with 2000 Thai drivers for 500 foreigner staff. At any given time, you have 4 grab taxis waiting at your door. :sleepy:

• Haha 1

For anyone interested, full details can be found here - http://www.boi.go.th/newboi/index.php?page=detail_smart_visa2

WHERE TO CONTACT?

SMART Visa Unit

One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit (OSS)

18th Floor, Chamchuri Square Building, Chamchuri Square Building, Phayathai Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel: 02 209 1100 ext. 1109-1110

Fax: 02 209 1199

E-mail: [email protected]

Download SMART Visa document here.

Thanks for posting the link with detailed information.
From what it seems this smart visas ain't so smart.
As in post #27 already mentioned, being eligible for the startup visa you need to register a company within one year.
So I guess that includes all the hassle such as 49 percent ownership and 4 Thai workers per one foreigner.

The other options are not interesting as well. Monthly salary above 200k and no difference to regular work permits IMHO

52 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

Thailand is already "The start up hub" in Asia for many things, such as : The most hookers in a given area (Pattaya),The Most  tourist falling to death from hotels,The Most road deaths,The Most stupidest drivers on the road,The most and largest group of policemen assigned to a non-working post (Thousands maybe),and the list goes on,

Also  "The hub of different kinds of Visas" (They are probably No 1 in the world now when it comes to different kinds of visas available )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

People are so negative when the Thais try to do something nice. 

It's a great idea. 

It sounds like most people should be able to squeeze into this visa somehow. 

I would come under smart T for talent. 

I have many. 

Nice to see someone recognising this initiative for what it is as opposed to sneering, mocking etc.

Sure it may not turn out as expected or intended but it sure beats doing doing and wallowing in apathy and mediocrity.

Well done thailand

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, akirasan said:

A bit more info about this:

This is the Smart Visa they have been shilling for a few months now. It is targeting the following industries:

Next Generation Automotive
Smart Electronics
Affluent, Medical and Wellness Tourism
Agriculture and Biotechnology
Food for the Future
Robotics
Aviation and Logistics
Biofuels and Biochemicals
Digital
Medical Hub

Digital is the one that most people will be interested in. They have defined it to mean cloud computing, consumer insight analytics and data centres, creative media and animation, cyber security, e-commerce, embedded software, enterprise software and digital content, internet of things: enabled smart city

Each visa has different requirements (salary, education/experience etc) which I won't list because it's quite detailed.

The application process seems arduous and an application has to be approved by the BOI, the National Innovation Agency, the Digital Economy Promotion Agency, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and others.

Visa categories are as follows:

Smart T - Science and Tech Talent
Smart I - Investors
Smart E - High Level Executives
Smart S - Startups and Entrepreneurs

I think you forgot a class Smart H - Hub and also got the order wrong

Smart S

Smart H 

Smart I

Smart T

Smart E

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can some expert elaborate point 6 and 1 that I highlighted. Thank you!

What exactly means set up a company?

And how to proceed after 3 years with your visa?

Does both not give very much security for future investments.

2018-04-30%2017.56.47.jpg

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Why I am arguing with you is because you posted "Not so!" onto one of my posts, you appeared to want to argue it yourself!  

That's a mere correction on a definition- 

start up= a fledgling business.

start up company= a fledgling business formed with a company structure.

a company= a business with a formal structure that complies with a company structure.

48 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Also  "The hub of different kinds of Visas" (They are probably No 1 in the world now when it comes to different kinds of visas available )

Huh?

There are only really two classes of Visa available here, Tourist and Non Immigrant.

Within the Non Immigrant class there are only two Visas that most people will ever need to apply for - Non B (for Business) or Non O (Marriage or Retirement).

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Thanks for posting the link with detailed information.
From what it seems this smart visas ain't so smart.
As in post #27 already mentioned, being eligible for the startup visa you need to register a company within one year.
So I guess that includes all the hassle such as 49 percent ownership and 4 Thai workers per one foreigner.

The other options are not interesting as well. Monthly salary above 200k and no difference to regular work permits IMHO

Why does everyone assume that the founders need to be foreigners?   It's more likely that these companies are startups founder by Thais, and they want to be able to bring in some foreigners.   

And these businesses will be operating at a level where normal rules don't apply, for the simple reason that they'll be working with budgets in the 100's of millions of baht.

37 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That's a mere correction on a definition- 

start up= a fledgling business.

start up company= a fledgling business formed with a company structure.

a company= a business with a formal structure that complies with a company structure.

No one defines a startup so broadly as being just any fledgling business, it means a fledgling business that is experimental in terms of its business model, startups are something new.

32 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Huh?

There are only really two classes of Visa available here, Tourist and Non Immigrant.

Within the Non Immigrant class there are only two Visas that most people will ever need to apply for - Non B (for Business) or Non O (Marriage or Retirement).

You may want to call them sub-categories of Non Immigrant Visa? the Thailand Elite Visa, the different new Smart visas, the Non O, the Non OA, the Non B, and the 10 year retirement visa (2x5 year) we heard about last year.     

6 hours ago, akirasan said:

A bit more info about this:

This is the Smart Visa they have been shilling for a few months now. It is targeting the following industries:

Next Generation Automotive
Smart Electronics
Affluent, Medical and Wellness Tourism
Agriculture and Biotechnology
Food for the Future
Robotics
Aviation and Logistics
Biofuels and Biochemicals
Digital
Medical Hub

Digital is the one that most people will be interested in. They have defined it to mean cloud computing, consumer insight analytics and data centres, creative media and animation, cyber security, e-commerce, embedded software, enterprise software and digital content, internet of things: enabled smart city

Each visa has different requirements (salary, education/experience etc) which I won't list because it's quite detailed.

The application process seems arduous and an application has to be approved by the BOI, the National Innovation Agency, the Digital Economy Promotion Agency, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and others.

Visa categories are as follows:

Smart T - Science and Tech Talent
Smart I - Investors
Smart E - High Level Executives
Smart S - Startups and Entrepreneurs

And thus the 1000+ throbbing hard-ons of various bloggers, vloggers, eBay traders, online English teachers and other itinerant digital pikeys were summarily and cruelly lost.