Wine Good News/Bad News

sammieuk1

17 minutes ago, korkenzieher said:

Mont Clair re-appeared on the shelves in Tesco, Hua Hin, about a month ago. A new 3 litre box for 1120 baht, has replaced the old 4 litre 800 baht box. So a price hike from 200 bht a litre to 373 baht a litre. A price hike of just about 87%.

Since then, because sales have been sooooooooo brisk at the new price (55555), the price has been dropped to 1009 baht (odd kind of number), a mere 68% hike over the old price. Wine was never cheap here, but here it seems is a obvious lesson in slaughtering the golden goose. Stick to grape juice!

Actually those box wines such as Mont Clair were (are?) "fruit wines", meaning that they are real wine that has been cut with fruit juice.  This was done to lower the alcohol content and reduce the taxes. 

Drink box wine and you just might be getting your grape juice.

• Like 2

I don't drink wine much here - partly price but mostly because it's not enjoyable.  I was told the Peter Vella is okay, but have never tried it as it seems always to be out of stock.  Instead I got the Mar Sol and, well, if you consider Mont Claire to be wine then you'd probably live with it.

Surprised after all these years there's no Loei wine that's been debugged/snagged perfected yet.  Not asking for world class, but if you just want intoxication then there are cheaper ways to destroy yourself.  If you want to enjoy it along the way then we don't have a lot of options (that I know, at least).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxisrael said:

The bad news is the price hike, The good news is i stopped drinking and buying wine and i don't like beer either so i will live a healthier life ?

Just curious who stopped buying the boxed wine ? the only losers imho are the wine sellers and i doubt there will be an increase of tax income for the government with this prices.

I stopped buying Peter Valler which I found the best of the bunch of red wine boxes when the price was hiked from 749 to 1175 in Tesco, Big C and Macro.  Now its disappeared altogether and and there's nothing comparable in price. All 3 liter boxes now at almost double the price. Ive stopped buying wine and hope everyone else will. They have a mountain of it piled here in Big C and looks like no ones buying. They will have to bring down the price if its not sold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jonnapat said:

Tesco are selling Laughing Bird, Australian red, 13.5 vol , 2litres for 469 baht.

It's actually not too bad and by far the best value out there today. 

It looks like a 2lt bottle but its actually 1.5lt to ruin your day 455tb in Rimping or it was on Wednesday ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Tesco are selling Laughing Bird, Australian red, 13.5 vol , 2litres for 469 baht.

It's actually not too bad and by far the best value out there today. 

I've been drinking Laughing Bird for about a year now,  but it is only a 1.5 Ltr bottle,  2 or 3 smallish glasses in an evening, not too terrible :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, maxisrael said:

The bad news is the price hike, The good news is i stopped drinking and buying wine and i don't like beer either so i will live a healthier life ?

Just curious who stopped buying the boxed wine ? the only losers imho are the wine sellers and i doubt there will be an increase of tax income for the government with this prices.

The winners are Sigha, Leo and Chang - 100%. No way are they going to allow Thais or foreigners to popularise wine!

• Like 1

I have stopped buying wine, but buy more fruit juice, just need some sodium Metabisulphite now ....

Have bought Bells scotch whiskey, a bottle of that is cheaper than a bottle of wine! The increased wine tax was stupid.

18 hours ago, Bundooman said:

The winners are Sigha, Leo and Chang - 100%. No way are they going to allow Thais or foreigners to popularise wine!

I think the winners are Gilbeys. Instead of buying a box of wine i now buy a bottle (or 2) of Gilbeys gin. G&Ts for me in the future. They can stuff their crap wine.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:03 AM, maxisrael said:

Just curious who stopped buying the boxed wine ?

I could bet it was another wise decision of the all knowing new "government" to fight alcoholism. Forbidding the big boxes?

Dreaming of the wine selection in Cambodia...

I have stopped drinking the cheap "wine" available here years ago.

And for salad dressing there are cheaper alternatives called vinegar :sleep:

Edited by KhunBENQ