Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

1 hour ago, speckio said:

A person can be a murderous psychopath who murders 100's of people and if they accept god all is forgiven and they will be welcomed to heaven with open arms.

That's wrong. If you want to pontificate about it try learning a bit about it. Apparently you don't know how repentance fits into the scenario.

BTW, God IMO doesn't care how many people anyone kills, because "care" is a human emotion and God isn't a human. This entire planet and everything on it is just an insignificant speck in the universe. Only humans think we are important.

• Thanks 1

Apparently I might be a monist. Don't really know what it is but I believe in mother nature, whoever she is. Nature is randomy guided by natural laws. Nothing to do with an intelligent being but just laws of nature taking their course and we are just a side product of it. When we die we go back to what we were before we were born. Life is far far less than a billion billionth of time and we end up dead for eternity.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are afraid of death then you are likely to want to hold onto some belief that the end of your life isn't really the end.

If, like me, you don't fear death then why would you have any need to believe in anything beyond yourself

• Agree 1

No. The concept of a "god' is just a delusion some have to support their belief that reality is structured and at least partially controllable. It's not. Reality is pure chaos.

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Yes there is. In fact, over 10,000 of them. Google is your friend. 

I asked Chat GPT and the result; (It's a variable, I guess)

The number of gods that exist can vary widely depending on cultural, religious, and philosophical perspectives. Here’s a broad overview:

1. Monotheistic Religions: These religions believe in a single, all-powerful deity. Examples include Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.

2. Polytheistic Religions: These traditions believe in multiple gods, each with distinct roles and attributes. Examples include Hinduism, ancient Greek religion, and Norse mythology.

3. Pantheistic and Panentheistic Beliefs: In these views, the divine is seen as synonymous with the universe or transcending it. Examples include some interpretations of Hinduism and certain philosophical perspectives.

4. Atheistic and Agnostic Views: Atheism denies the existence of any gods, while agnosticism holds that the existence of gods is unknown or unknowable.

5. Indigenous and Folk Religions: Many cultures have their own unique deities and spiritual beings. These can range from ancestor spirits to nature deities.

In summary, the concept of gods and the number of deities is diverse and depends heavily on the beliefs of different cultures and religions.

10 minutes ago, ravip said:

In summary, the concept of gods and the number of deities is diverse and depends heavily on the beliefs of different cultures and religions.

So you are the religion that you were indoctrinated in.

All of the gods cannot be right, however, they can all be wrong. Still waiting for the evidence.

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

So you are the religion that you were indoctrinated in.

All of the gods cannot be right, however, they can all be wrong. Still waiting for the evidence.

Look around you, god is everything, not necessarily what people think and write.

• Haha 1

Yes, I believe in God, the Father, God, the Son and God, the Holy Spirit.  Why? Because I can, and I've experienced Their guidance and blessings all of my life.  Easy to make this statement here. I hope I will do it if someday my faith is tested by potential death.

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Do you believe in God and why.

No. How can one believe in something that  one can't see/doesn't exist.

To be fair, 2000 years ago nobody knew about the earth rotating around the sun, thunderstorms, gravity, evolution, and all those things. They couldn't explain it, so their explanation was: There must be a god or several gods who did all that.

But now, with modern science, there are explanations for most things. And they don't include any supernatural thing.

Now people can learn about science and understand the world. But some ignorant people still prefer believing instead of learning. It's sad that they are so ignorant.

Screenshot-2023-10-25-210551.jpg?strip=a

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Belief is an admittance that you don't know, I know today is Friday, I don't need to believe it. All religions and spiritual practices depend on belief. The spiritual practice of self inquirey (who am I) by Ramana Maharshi for instance is neti,neti, not this, not that, a long series of negation where you arrive at zero, it doesn't give you an answer but dissolves the questioner, any following conclusions from then on are based on assumptions ie beliefs.

The oldest still practiced religion, Hinduism and it's close relation Buddhism are based on logical philosophical steps of reasoning through deep meditation but are still a product of mind. To say consciousness is fundamental is probably true but conscious awareness still needs a mind which is inevitably interwoven with ego resulting from indoctrination, memory of past experience and genetic make up so really nobody is free enough or capable of seeing truth. Even Christianity has had its deep thinking mystics, Meister Eckhard, the 14th century German monk was highly respected and rose to a high position but when he suggested that god was a product of the godhead, a dark silent place of potentiality (quantum physics anyone?) he narrowly avoided execution by the Catholic church who strangely enough revere him today.

Belief brings comfort to billions but belief isn't truth.....it doesn't need to be.

You have no idea what day it is actually - you just take it on faith because someone told you what day it was years ago. Days are just words we made up - you make yourself look incredibly foolish with such comments.

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Observable environment is not evidence of god, just nature and evolution.

Well, if somebody wants to belive, nature is a good place to look for god

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

You have no idea what day it is actually - you just take it on faith because someone told you what day it was years ago. Days are just words we made up - you make yourself look incredibly foolish with such comments.

Why the aggression? Explain what you mean.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

To be fair, 2000 years ago nobody knew about the earth rotating around the sun, thunderstorms, gravity, evolution, and all those things. They couldn't explain it, so their explanation was: There must be a god or several gods who did all that.

But now, with modern science, there are explanations for most things. And they don't include any supernatural thing.

Now people can learn about science and understand the world. But some ignorant people still prefer believing instead of learning. It's sad that they are so ignorant.

Screenshot-2023-10-25-210551.jpg?strip=a

If it helps people in their daily life, it's like taking a sugar pill, and believe it is working. It is ok, as long nobody starts to dictate other people's life. 

Trust me, when bad times arrives, religion collects people to pull in same direction again, as well bigger catastrophes make people seek comfort. That's how it is

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

If it helps people in their daily life, it's like taking a sugar pill, and believe it is working. It is ok, as long nobody starts to dictate other people's life. 

Trust me, when bad times arrives, religion collects people to pull in same direction again, as well bigger catastrophes make people seek comfort. That's how it is

I find it almost funny when again something bad happens and then many people mention "thoughts and prayers".

So, you believe in a god who controls everything, and then god did something horrible and then you pray that things get better again. It's just plain stupid. 

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Not true about science. Heaps of things science can't explain, but all that was gone through on the forum in the past and I'm nor repeating it now.

Human science is too primitive to know everything. It can't even cure cancer or stop people killing each other.

Plenty of room between what science can prove and what scientists don't have a clue about for God to exist.

23 hours ago, Card said:

Apparently I might be a monist. Don't really know what it is but I believe in mother nature, whoever she is. Nature is randomy guided by natural laws. Nothing to do with an intelligent being but just laws of nature taking their course and we are just a side product of it. When we die we go back to what we were before we were born. Life is far far less than a billion billionth of time and we end up dead for eternity.

Sooooo, where did the laws of Nature come from? Just magic was it? Just happened out of nothing?

What makes an animal or a tree alive? A magical spark from out of nothing perhaps.

Ask yourself what existed before the universe came to be. Nothing, right, so how did the universe appear? Was Harry Potter wandering around waving his wand- oh, that would make him God though.

Perhaps you can explain how the universe came out of nothing, if it wasn't God.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I find it almost funny when again something bad happens and then many people mention "thoughts and prayers".

So, you believe in a god who controls everything, and then god did something horrible and then you pray that things get better again. It's just plain stupid. 

I didn't say most people are intelligent. We have history of having rituals and sacrifice people, torture them, executive them to please the gods, so? 

Believe in evil people will make things better again, just saying

21 hours ago, Nemises said:

Yes there is. In fact, over 10,000 of them. Google is your friend. 

There are as many gods as there are humans, it depends on your 'vision' of a god, some worship Alcohol, Trees, a white man with a beard, the list is endless,  .......

• Agree 1

Just as a personal opinion. I find so many supposed religious people to be more than hypocritical, one of which in a church when I was 14, totally destroyed any form of faith I may have had at that time. My life has seen many forms of contradiction in the 69 years since, and I cannot possibly believe there is a god of any kind, who would let the world travel on the course it has taken over the past 5 to 10 thousand years. That may or may not be a narrow perspective, but I have seen nothing that would persuade me to change my view.

• Agree 1