Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

12 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Except it's not a "man" we're talking about :smile:

If God is female it would explain some of the suffering we endure.

Perhaps you would like to expand on "it's not a man" (er, and it does say in the Bible that God created man in his own image).

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

If God is female it would explain some of the suffering we endure.

Perhaps you would like to expand on "it's not a man" (er, and it does say in the Bible that God created man in his own image).

Perhaps it's wasted time, but time is an illusion so here it goes.

Can you imagine all the men and women who have lived on this planet since millions of years, and the animals and the plants and the minerals ?

Can you imagine countless planets in the universe, some of whose may be inhabited by beings more or less intelligent than us ?

Ok, now take all that, and multiply by the infinite.

Once you understand the concept of infinite and eternal, come back and let's have a chat about God.

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps it's wasted time, but time is an illusion so here it goes.

Can you imagine all the men and women who have lived on this planet since millions of years, and the animals and the plants and the minerals ?

Can you imagine countless planets in the universe, some of whose may be inhabited by beings more or less intelligent than us ?

Ok, now take all that, and multiply by the infinite.

Once you understand the concept of infinite and eternal, come back and let's have a chat about God.

If time were an illusion there would be no space and no infinite as these are linked. You also have not expanded on "it's not a man" when referring to the creator. Or are you implying that God is not like us, but an energy, as in Quantum Physics?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

multiply by the infinite.

Once you understand the concept of infinite

You can't 'multiply by the infinite'. It's a concept, not a number. Understanding isn't something you can just wish for or imagine you have. It takes a bit of work. It requires logical thinking, for starters.

• Like 2

Just now, teatime101 said:

You can't 'multiply by the infinite'. It's a concept, not a number. Understanding isn't something you can just wish for or imagine you have. It takes a bit of work. It requires logical thinking, for starters.

Agree that it takes a "bit of work".

So what is your logical explanation for "infinite".

You know, you can tell some people the "big bang" theory, but it doesn't mean that all people have to believe that BS (belief system)

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I don't think there is one.

The Big Bang isn't a belief system. It's a theory (explanation), based on the available evidence.

Edited by teatime101
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree that it takes a "bit of work".

You know, you can tell some people the "big bang" theory, but it doesn't mean that all people have to believe that BS (belief system)

You don't believe in Big Bang Theory? How do you think the Universe got to where it is today? Was it simply created like this some 6,000 years ago?

If anything I would have thought that people who believe in a "Creator" would embrace BBT as it explains how a "Singularity" some 14 Billion years ago led to where the Universe is today... 

The Big Bang Theory is the leading explanation about how the universe began. At its simplest, it says the universe as we know it started with a small singularity, then inflated over the next 13.8 billion years to the cosmos that we know today.

https://www.space.com/25126-big-bang-theory.html 

PS, Whatever your beliefs, The Big Bang Theory is a great TV show https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898266/ ???? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

You don't believe in Big Bang Theory? How do you think the Universe got to where it is today? Was it simply created like this some 6,000 years ago?

If anything I would have thought that people who believe in a "Creator" would embrace BBT as it explains how a "Singularity" some 14 Billion years ago led to where the Universe is today... 

The Big Bang Theory is the leading explanation about how the universe began. At its simplest, it says the universe as we know it started with a small singularity, then inflated over the next 13.8 billion years to the cosmos that we know today.

https://www.space.com/25126-big-bang-theory.html 

PS, Whatever your beliefs, The Big Bang Theory is a great TV show https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898266/ ???? 

You can look tv i cannot save you from that. Take care.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

For those who are still watching the tv, here's what one of my favourite musicians think about it.

Frank #Zappa #toilet #humour | Frank zappa, Frank zappa art, Zappa

Now I may be totally wrong, but love that "Dancin' Fool"!

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Now I may be totally wrong, but love that "Dancin' Fool"!

Yep, dancing fool is hilarious, but the tv song which i remember is "the slime"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, dancing fool is hilarious, but the tv song which i remember is "the slime"

Yeah...wasn't referring to the song, but rather the musician.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yeah...wasn't referring to the song, but rather the musician.

A genius, i was lucky to see him live, i am not sure whether he believed in God, but i have quite a good opinion about his music and lyrics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yes you do say absurd things. You just proved it...again. Totally absurd. :1zgarz5:

To you, and others like you, maybe. To the ones that actually understand, it's not. You have enlisted one other like minded "skeptic' though.

Edited by fredwiggy

9 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Absurd. 

Prove your god claim. Prove Satan. Prove any afterlife. 

If they bring you comfort and help you cope...fine. But it's just superstitious beliefs. 

This post is asking if you believe in God and why. Not about offering proof for anything. I have faith, you don't believe. I have reasons I've explained for my faith. What are your reasons for not believing?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's more that we get upset about people who believe in something irrational and people who ignore science.

If they would do that only at home then fine.

The problem are those believers who are in charge all over the world. It's like waiting for St Claus to bring presents and then being surprised when he does not show up.

If you get upset about us just stop reading the thread. Simple as 1 2 3.

Those in charge are not believers- if they were they'd behave much better. Just going to church does not make one a believer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Damn it, you might be right.

I was just thinking the other day that I have fulfilled almost all that I have wanted to achieve in life. I am very contented. My bucket list is full, so to speak.

Now you've prompted me to seek out new purposes, set new goals, new ways to feel unfulfilled, so that I can relish feeling miserable again in their pursuit. Living in the moment, in the now, enjoying everything that I have and that I am just won't cut it any more.

How can you misinterpret what he said so badly?

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, Sunmaster said:

Interesting post and I agree with most of it.

This line however stick out like a sore thumb. Neuroscience concerns itself with the structure and function of the nervous system. It is an 'outer' science field that deals with the material aspect of the brain. How do you expect this to explain the 'inner' fields, of which your experience of bliss and joy was but the first step? And why hasn't it explained spiritual experiences already? As far as I know, they haven't....and I think they never will.

It's like opening a computer case, examining the components and expecting to find the internet in there. 

Well, that's just it, actually neuroscience has done a lot to explain spiritual experiences.

Have a look at James Austin's Zen and the Brain and it's sequel.

It is of course fascinating that meditation produces altered states of mind. Neuroscience is concerned with the "material" aspects of the brain but it also includes an investigation of the molecular, cellular and chemical processes in the brain. James Austin has examined the chemical processes involved in the altered states of mind that arise during meditation sometimes.

It is very understandable that people seek to describe these extremely unusual and strange altered state of mind experiences with reference to having glimpsed God, the Universe and such. And that may be perfectly valid, I don't know, since I can not prove or disprove God either way (though I have a strong opinion based on balance of probabilities).

However, another way to explain these altered states of mind is through the chemical and physiological changes that happen in the Brain from a neurological perspective. James Austen does that in Zen and the Brain and the sequel to it.

Edited by Logosone

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Have you ever considered that other people just don't really care one way or the other?

I don't care if there's a god, I don't want answers, I don't care about forever.

And if there is a god, I'll never see him, 'cos I'd be batting for the opposition.

Not many of those on this thread. I just wish they talk about God and not religion. It's been the same thing for 500 pages- religion, religion, religion.

I've found the discussion about God illuminating, but I just can't stop rising to the bait of those that don't even understand what some of us are talking about.

Eg why does God let children die? God loves us whether we live 5 minutes or 5 decades.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

However, another way to explain these altered states of mind is through the chemical and physiological changes that happen in the Brain from a neurological perspective.

Do you ever wonder WHY we can have altered states of mind? If God created life the universe and everything, allowing us to have altered states of mind is a doddle.