Health insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners in Thailand

webfact

34,000 thb for first shot in Rabies course of injections at Bangkok Hospital Rayong , gonna be expensive insurance young or old. 

Really ??
I paid 2,000 baht for the first shot ( actually 2 shots , 1 in each arm, rabies and tetanus) wound cleaning, medication etc and around 1000 baht for further shots.

Total 6,080 baht at Rajthanee Hospital ( Public ) Ayutthaya all great attention and no after effects .

Woof woof !!

52 minutes ago, mike787 said:

...just wait for it...It will...takes a little more time.  This is the first step.  Once the kingdom of Thailand feels the power, ALL visas will be included....

Yes, it may pan out to all visa/extension.

Dont forget a couple of months ago there were threads saying "all longstay need 800/400k in the bank", turned out it wasn't all, it didn't include married, education etc.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Really ??
I paid 2,000 baht for the first shot ( actually 2 shots , 1 in each arm, rabies and tetanus) wound cleaning, medication etc and around 1000 baht for further shots.

Total 6,080 baht at Rajthanee Hospital ( Public ) Ayutthaya all great attention and no after effects .

Woof woof !!

I paid around 500 Baht for 3 injections at the Pattaya City hospital on Soi Buakhoa . I was up country in Buriram when it was time for my final injection so I went to the government hospital and was charged a whopping 50 baht. Thats only a ten fold difference.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, riclag said:

no

Medicare does not, but Medicare Advantage plans sometimes will cover emergency care and in some cases non-emergency (mine covers non-emergency care up to $5000 per year worldwide) but that may not apply to all - and a problem is they also require your residency to be in a specific location, sometimes restricted to a few counties in a state. That is one reason this past year I moved back to the U.S. but spent half my time there, half here. I'm good in Thailand till next March, though if I chose.

3 minutes ago, granuaile said:

Medicare does not, but Medicare Advantage plans sometimes will cover emergency care and in some cases non-emergency (mine covers non-emergency care up to $5000 per year worldwide) but that may not apply to all - and a problem is they also require your residency to be in a specific location, sometimes restricted to a few counties in a state. That is one reason this past year I moved back to the U.S. but spent half my time there, half here. I'm good in Thailand till next March, though if I chose.

Well my insurance in USA covers me out of country up to a curtain number of days then will not cover. Got sick once on arrival and my insurance covered it. 

20 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

Have you not looked for better rates with another company? In two years you'd have nearly free coverage via Medicare if you returned home. Might be worth considering as the "savings" you have by living in Thailand are being eaten by the insurance costs.

Rates between companies don't vary much on the exchanges. 50 USD a month probably. I'm 63 ...not much I can do until I'm 65 unless I want to be uninsured. At least this way I have some sort of coverage if I get hit by a car or have a heart attack.

Edited by jmd8800

55 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Is there any evidence of immigration acting as debt collectors, I’m not aware of it?

Not as debt collectors but immigration can stop you leaving if wanted by police, outstanding debt etc.

• Like 1

I'm on an Extension of Stay based on marriage, which is due for renewal in July.

My stepson is an officer serving in the Thai military. Am I correct in thinking his mother can obtain free hospital care based on his occupation?

More importantly for me, would I qualify for free hospital care if I legally adopted my stepson, whose Thai father died a few years ago ?

Edited by joebrown
Add sentence.

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

There isn't one Thai gov't official that gives a damn about making it easy for expats to live in Thailand.

Read the news! 66 Generals appointed 

Best to have a backup plan as the next coalition gov't is going to wreak havoc on the economy and the country.

A  back up plan, is a must have for expats in a country ,

where we are officially referred to as aliens .

In summary , if we want to stay,  we have to pay insurance fees.

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

If you don't want people to skip out on hospital bills, tighten up your policies, or don't get into the care taking business in the first place!

That is the problem here. This is all the hospitals' problem, and it gets superimposed onto people. 

It is like credit. If you are a credit card company and do not want defaults, get out of the business or tighten up your lending habits. 

This is the hospitals' problem, can't be said enough. If you do not like the business, get out. But they do love it because profits are obscene. 

• Thanks 1

Can anyone tell me just exactly what is a NON (O-A) visa.  I am on a Marriage Visa and will be renewing very soon......does anyone know if a NON (O-A) visa includes a Marriage Visa? 

Edited by Tingtau
To include request for replies....forgot to fill box indicating that I wished to be notified of any replies.
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tingtau said:

Can anyone tell me just exactly what is a NON (O-A) visa.  I am on a Marriage Visa and will be renewing very soon......does anyone know if a NON (O-A) visa includes a Marriage Visa? 

What does it say in your passport?

I can't quite read it from here.

6 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

If you don't want people to skip out on hospital bills, tighten up your policies, or don't get into the care taking business in the first place!

That is the problem here. This is all the hospitals' problem, and it gets superimposed onto people. 

It is like credit. If you are a credit card company and do not want defaults, get out of the business or tighten up your lending habits. 

This is the hospitals' problem, can't be said enough. If you do not like the business, get out. But they do love it because profits are obscene. 

Its not so much skipping and not paying, its also just the extra burden on the public system. Ex-pats without insurance (even when they pay) tend to use the cheaper public hospitals that are already stretched, have lots of patients and waiting lists etc.

Make ex-pats get insurance and it moves them into private hospitals freeing up the public system.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:40 AM, LongTang said:

Don't worry, A translation of the insurance policy to Thai signed by a notary will probably be added to the endless list of things one has to prepare.. ????

and if so MORE money has to  BE paid.....to have something notorised can cost 2k baht and possibly more !!!...

Edited by essox essox
after thought

5 minutes ago, hashmodha said:

I have written to my friend who works for Nation.... let me see check how true is all this?

Thai visa is owned by Nation, most of their information and reports comes from Nation stories. The OP comes from a Nation report.

Writing to the Nation to ask if information on a Nation owned forum is true ??????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rott said:

I do not know any and according to the likes of you I must be at the bottom of the pile as I have spent much time here in Pattaya bars.

So how come you mix with all these low-lifes? Ah I get it you are a top surgeon at a govt hospital. No that cannot be it you do not go near such places.

Come on tell us, how do you know so many disgusting people?

If you think your at the bottom you must be ????

Mix it up with low-lifes, not me, top surgeon at a govt hospital, nope, retired with two past degrees and I love the bars, especially the ones with those sweet girls.

I didn't say they were disgusting people, you did !

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

“The Devil is always in the details”.

I see two issues with the program:

1.  Hypothetically speaking a 50+ person goes to a Thai Embassy/Consulate to apply for the Non Imm O-A in the future.  This person is fully qualified and is told he must purchase Health Insurance.  Therefore, if he purchases Health Insurance then the application is guaranteed to be approved?  I doubt any Embassy/Consulate can much such an assurance.  

2. Hypothetically speaking the same person applies for the Non Imm O-A but does not intend to depart for Thailand for several months.  Does this mean this person must also purchase Thai Health Insurance even though he will not be in the country for months.  

I have checked the Los Angeles Thai Consulate website and so far no mention of this new law.  I will probably go to the same Consulate to apply for another Non Imm O-A sometime next year and I will see if any new requirements are implemented.  

Insurance will be one of the requirements, the same as police check, medicial etc, just having it wont garentee a visa if you dont have the other requirements.

You need insurance, no police record, medical certificate to get the visa, whether you wait to use it would be up to you. They are not going to issue a visa and wait for you to qualify when you decide to travel to thailand. you could also rob a bank and get tuberculosis between getting a visa and the using it.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Tingtau said:

This new rule does NOT apply for Non O based on Marriage or Extension of stay based on marriage. Its for Non O-A visa,

Non-Immigrant Visa  “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in  Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. 

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.  Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

1. Eligibility

1.1 Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).

1.2 Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence.

1.4 Having the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where application is submitted.

1.5 Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14  B.E. 2535.

1.6 Employment in Thailand is prohibited.

2. Required Documents

- Passport with validity of not less than 18 months.

- 3 copies of completed visa application forms.

- 3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six

months.

- A personal data form.

- A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

- In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- A medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) (certificate shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

- In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for  the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa.  A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taipan1949 said:

BUPA Thailand told me that because I was hypertensive but maintained by a few little pills every day I had to sign a waiver stating that if I incurred any health problems due to it then I would not be covered. After a few years my rate was getting ridiculous and I also did not trust them as just about anything can be related to high blood pressure so I quit them.

Of course you have to be truthful on any insurance application, if not then you are throwing your money down the toilet as the cover would be void. However I assume they have no access to your overseas medical record, so in that scenario unless you were diagnosed in Thailand how would they know ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nightfox said:

This new rule does NOT apply for Non O based on Marriage or Extension of stay based on marriage. Its for Non O-A visa,

Thats how I understand it , new OA is pretty clear but it will probably come down to what they mean by renew/renewal, I take it as permission to stay based on the OA, others see it as meaning all extensions and all visa's. 

• Like 1