Entertainment tourism: Pattaya for Europeans is over - 30% down this year, official

webfact

11 minutes ago, liofrombkk said:

maybe also the hords of pakis and indians and gulf people by the thousands strolling the streets and sitting there doing nothing, hoping to grab a few asses on the early dawn, walking the streets looking for trouble cause most of them have no manners... last time i was there, i was transported back to karachi, where i spend a few months a few years back... then of course it might be a shock for europeans and americans and australians, excepting good ol pattaya and finding karachi or slums of mumbai instead... 

And don't forget Racing on heavy bikes in residential areas, killing and injuring foreign and local innocent pedestrians.

Edited by LongTang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anythingleft? said:

People could afford to be more obliging with their cash with the exchange rates as they once were....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You looked at what the baht was in the 80s and early 90s ?? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is easy to blame the strong baht. And it is definitely a factor. But, there are so many other factors. The army, Prayuth, and the biggest joke spent five years sabotaging Western tourism. Now, the damage can be felt, and people are worried. Millions of jobs are at stake.

Same applies to ex-pats. Many are leaving, or have left. Not feeling welcome?

Also, the unwillingness to tackle the scams, the traffic and public safety issues, the environmental issues, and so many other causes, are all having an impact on tourism. The decision to turn away from Western tourism, and focus almost exclusively on Chinese and Indian tourism was a mistake of historically monumental proportions. The TAT is barely making any effort to lure Westerners. And in my opinion they are the big spenders. I read surveys about the average Chinese tourists, being at the top of the list of big spenders. But, this is average. And the big spending Chinese do not come to Thailand for a dozen different reasons. The wife wants to buy a luxury handbag. The same Gucci bag that she likes is $3,500 in Singapore, London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, or Dubai. In Bangkok that bag sells for $9,000. At a five star hotel, this same wealthy Chinese couple want a great bottle of wine. They see a good vintage of Domaine Coche-Dury Monthelie, which would sell for about $500 retail, at a five star in any of the above cities for $1,000 on the list. Same bottle, if it was available (highly unlikely) in Bangkok, would be 95,000 baht, or more. Wealthy people tend to be smart with their money. They simply will not pay stupid money for stuff. The luxury taxes have been discouraging high end tourism here for decades. It is policy that is so dumb, so shortsighted, so non-visionary, and it hurts the economy. If wine duty was 100%, you would have a thriving wine industry here, five to ten times the size of the current industry. So the state income would be made up on volume, and hundreds of thousands of jobs would be generated. This is simply another example of brain dead leaders, who have no vision, and are NOT leading the nation forward, are not helping the nation to progress, and are not benefitting the people of Thailand.

Hopefully, we will eventually see a correction in the Thai baht. Although I feel for those in the hotel industry, lower rates over the long haul sure works for me! It may be the one area where we do not see inflation rearing it's ugly head!

Agree with much you say except about the wine. Anyone that would come to Thailand just because wine is cheaper isn't going to give a satang to the poor Thais that used to make a good living in Pattaya, and they are the vast majority of Thais in Pattaya. With the exception of the poor Thais that clean their hotel toilets and open the front doors, and that isn't many, nor do they get paid well.

1 hour ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

High baht is one thing, but years and years of corrupt cops, fleecing taxis, violent assaults and thefts all put a damper on travelers enthusiasm, and nothing seems to ever happen to stem any of it. It is a pit they have dug for themselves.

A second post up. Years of publicity have taken its toll, the truth is well known. Do you really want to take a vacation just to get scammed and beat up?! You can do that in Beaumont, sans airfare and hotel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, it can. They can get real, allow bars to open till dawn, like it used to be, incentivise hotels to offer cheap accommodation, and stop with the wowsers attack on the scene.

Hopefully not. This entertainment industry keeps many not sex tourists away. Noise and sex at almost every corner is not everybody's taste. Of course you can say then they should not come to Pattaya. I am afraid this is exactly what they are doing. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, hansnl said:

The decline started when the TS clan came in, not when the military intervened.

Try to open your eyes for what happened in Thailand since around the year 2000.......

boom years back then up to 06.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1