Good news coming for expats regarding 90 day reporting - TM 28 and TM 30 being discussed Friday

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that sounds great, but as long as each immigration office in the different provinces runs according to their own rules, it doesn't matter if they have apps or website that run perfectly, I live in Nong Khai and I can't report TM47  online, I have tried many times and I have asked why, and only get one answer, can not be done.  Fortunately, I live close to immigration, so that's not a big problem for me.  ????

They'll discuss immigration rules on Friday the 13th. Where's Freddie when you need him.

It's fairly obvious though: add all long term (1y) stay permit holders to the Thai civil system (yellow book) and make other short term temps do the TM30's. It's a bastardized version of the real deal of getting a PR but probably the best we could hope for. Needs a law change.

7 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

as i am never in thailand for more than 90 days, i could not care less about the tm 47.

It is the other idiocy that rankles, and i highly doubt they are backing down.

I have the Elite visa & come and go every month. I have no visa, TM30 or 90 day report woes whatsoever....

BUT, I do care, because I see others affected by the idiotic and unnecessary regulations which could affect me in future. I therefore have high hopes that this whole facade is met with common sense for the benefit of everyone concerned. 

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

They would be happy if they only have to report if they've changed their address. What's the point in reporting the same address year after year?

What is the point of 90-day reporting, period? And the alternative of being made to leave the country every 90 days with what is supposed to be a visa valid for a year? Really, what is the point? What disaster would befall the country if foreigners were able to live an entire year in Thailand without having to visit immigration, often to give them information they already hold?

I don't understand why Thailand doesn't look at countries like Japan and Korea that give visa holders an ID card that has all the information about the holder on the card. 

I'm fortunate that I only have to go to immigration once every 5 years to renew my visa. Maybe someday Thailand will enter the 21st century. I expect that will happen some time in the 23rd century.

Fix the system so it recognises "new passports" without having to exit the country, perhaps by allowing local IO to update the and confirm the new passport. 

maximum you should be able to do exactly what you do in person in the immigration office, but in saying that, constantly reporting on something that hasn't changed is the issue - what is the point ?  

1. Passport number, tick box "my permanent address has not changed"

If your permanent address changes 

2. Online TM28 (and landlord TM30)

Travelling in-country for short trips 

- not the responsibility of a tourist (including expats on short trips)

- expats - no need to report anything unless your permanent residence address changes

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No, it's not a big deal if you live nearby, or they accept mail reports.

moe666 is the newest member of that elite club of IAJ, That's the I'm alright jack club, sod everyone else, your problem is not my problem, never think of anyone else other than themselves.

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What is the point of 90-day reporting, period? And the alternative of being made to leave the country every 90 days with what is supposed to be a visa valid for a year? Really, what is the point? What disaster would befall the country if foreigners were able to live an entire year in Thailand without having to visit immigration, often to give them information they already hold?

Exactly - my Wife holds a 10year visa to the UK.

No reporting issues whatsoever, comes & goes as she pleases (can’t stay longer than 6months per visit). 

The threat of foreigners (terrorism) in the UK is surely greater than in Thailand. These reporting policies in Thailand are highly flawed and somewhat draconian - let common sense prevail. 

If they put these reporting necessities on apps, they should be as easy as my banking app. And as reliable.???? If it has to be done on line, why do they insist it is via IE, which is useless? Coding these apps for any platform, can be done by most ten year olds. Or am I expecting a little too much?  Or are they still using Commodore computers?

Some on here say to treat the Thai's the same in our home countries as we the retired ex-pats are treated here. Well be careful about what you wish for because Thailand might just change and be like the other countries that we have come from. Non of the western countries have a visa for those that are single and retired. Which means that if you wish that Thailand would treat you the same then that would mean that Thailand do away with the Non-Immigrant "O" visa with an extension based on retirement which would mean all the retired ex-pats would have to leave Thailand. Check your home countries visa's and they do not have any visa for the single retired person. You should be thankful that Thailand at least has a visa that you as a single retired person can use to live here permanently. What would the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the EU put a single retired person through for that person to live in those countries the same as we live in Thailand?

18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Non of the western countries have a visa for those that are retired. 

Many have visas based on investment, which acts the same. Just need the $. And many of them convert fairly painlessly into permanents after some years.

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Many have visas based on investment, which acts the same. Just need the $. And many of them convert fairly painlessly into permanents after some years.

But many of the retirees here in Thailand do not have the $ as is shown on many of the threads since the changes to the requirements. But my point is that there is no retirement visa in any of those countries.

6 hours ago, beddhist said:

May I humbly suggest that they call for expat volunteers to test the new app before it goes live? I'm sure there will be no shortage of takers.

I worked in IT for 40 years with my last 10 years in software testing. I would be more than happy test and break the application.

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

But many of the retirees here in Thailand do not have the $ as is shown on many of the threads since the changes to the requirements. But my point is that there is no retirement visa in any of those countries.

Well yes Thailand got greedy and let in oldies with only a little bit of $ and now they don't want them anymore. They also added the marriage category and elite after the 1979 immigration act. 

Labeling it retirement is pretty useless anyway, it's >50y and able to pass the financial bar. Other countries have a higher bar and no age limit and call it investment. Labels don't matter, the rules do. 

40 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Some on here say to treat the Thai's the same in our home countries as we the retired ex-pats are treated here. Well be careful about what you wish for because Thailand might just change and be like the other countries that we have come from. Non of the western countries have a visa for those that are single and retired. Which means that if you wish that Thailand would treat you the same then that would mean that Thailand do away with the Non-Immigrant "O" visa with an extension based on retirement which would mean all the retired ex-pats would have to leave Thailand. Check your home countries visa's and they do not have any visa for the single retired person. You should be thankful that Thailand at least has a visa that you as a single retired person can use to live here permanently. What would the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the EU put a single retired person through for that person to live in those countries the same as we live in Thailand?

Yes I should be thankful that every expat and retiree like myself brings a great deal of money into Thailand and pumps money into the local economy. I hardly think this is the same case in the reverse situation.

Archived