Forum upgrade in progress! ×

If you think pattaya is dead now .. check out this

banglay

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The very good guesthouse I always use in Pattaya does not allow any Indians or Chinese, so waht

you are saying is that this guesthouse will soon be out of business?

I am not saying that you are wrong mind.

An hotel that occupies a slot entirely between Beach Road and 2nd Road has just decided to accept Indian tour groups after previously refusing to.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The town is doomed.  Doomed I tell ya.  I know because Leaver the sad clown prophet tells us so.

All the 5 star hotels are empty.  I know because Leaver says so (taken today).  Those are not real customers at Avani.  They are actors I paid to pose for this picture.

20191001_120316.jpg

I am just waiting for dusk, when most people come out, to show you just busy a lot of areas are.  I feel the need because there are some who are selectively taking pictures at certain times of the day to try paint this illusion that the whole town is dead or something.  I have no idea what their malfunction is to want to do that.  All I know is that they appear to be intentionally trying to spread nonsense for some reason.

Near entrance to Tukom.  Dead I tell ya.  The town is doomed booga booga (scary music).

The Tuesday Buakao market was dead.  Only the places were expats usually congregate were totally filled with expats (as usual).  A clear sign expats are leaving in droves.  It's over, case closed.  Put a fork in it!

20191001_131608.jpg

1 hour ago, champers said:

An hotel that occupies a slot entirely between Beach Road and 2nd Road has just decided to accept Indian tour groups after previously refusing to.

Hope the hotel owner has plenty of straws for his guests. That's the ones

who will drink in the bar of course. ????

Soi Buakao totally empty during the hottest part of the day.  Those are not real farangs.  They are paid actors posing for me.  I didn't get a shot off in time but that bar that is always filled with farangs at the intersection of Soi Diana I just passed was still filled with farangs.  At noon during the hottest part of the day.  Gets much busier later or.  But yea, the town is a ghost town, totally, you betcha!

20191001_132615(0).jpg

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

All things considered, would you buy a condo in today's market, and if so, when do you think you would be able to flip it for a profit, and if not, why not?

I suspect a bottom feeder could still make money... look for someone desperate to sell and knock them down. A friend just did exactly that. 

On 9/30/2019 at 9:14 AM, Ron jeremy said:

The expat community in pattaya,( not all) tend to be getting on in age, and I really don't see them spending vast amounts. Basically surviving.  The new tourist demographic is changing, squeezing out these people won't change much. Contrary to the people on this forum thinking that the western expats rule pattaya will have a rude awakining. The little people are slowly taking over. 

Best learn some Mandarin, swaheely, and sharpen up on your chop stick skills.

It would be impossible to say which group more skint Pattaya or Chaing Mai

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect a bottom feeder could still make money... look for someone desperate to sell and knock them down. A friend just did exactly that. 

The buying is not the issue. There's an over supply here, and many distressed vendors.  The issue is selling it for a profit, or even being able to sell it at all. 

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

From memory it was a bit over 2mil but Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia make up at least 1.5mil. Us white folk hardly get a look in 

I was just quoting from the internet. Truth be told it doesn't look like anyone really knows

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=how+many+expats+live+in+thailand

On 9/30/2019 at 1:29 AM, newnative said:

Nice to start the day with a joke.  '...the final nail in Pattaya's coffin'.  55555.  No coffin that I can see--let alone any nails in it.  Quite laughable that you think Pattaya's robust growth these past years has been because of British tourists and now that the Pound is sinking Pattaya will, too.

In reality, the growth continues.  Several new, large condo projects have been announced to join those already under construction.  Amari's all-suites hotel addition is done and the new Ozo Hotel next door is nearing completion.  Several hotels are remodeling and adding features--such as A-01 on Beach Road.  The city itself is finally doing some infrastructure work.

Recently I mentioned that in Wong Amat near Cape Dara an old low-rise resort on a large tract of land has been bulldozed and cleared.  Drove by yesterday and saw construction fences going up and a sign announcing 'Grande Centre Point 2.  From the photo it's a large high-rise hotel resort project.  I guess Grande Centre Point at T21 is doing so well--even though Pattaya is apparently near death--that another hotel is on the way.  If posters can tear themselves away from Soi 6 and Walking Street they'll see there's a lot positive going on.  

Seems to go against this 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1124026-lack-of-european-visitors-the-cause-of-thailands-tourism-woes-says-hotelier/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-14581417 

On 9/30/2019 at 7:29 AM, kingdong said:

It was 35baht =£1 in 1997,then what happened? You can only blow up a balloon so much till it explodes in your face.

That can't be right. I remember that the US Dollar was ฿45 for a while in 1997. Some people tell me it went as high as ฿50, but I don't remember that. I don't remember the exchange rate for sterling in 1997, but vaguely think it was around £1 = $1.80, so its baht value should have been at least 80. When I was a kid, £1 = $2.40 (around 1950). so a penny sterling was equal to a penny American (12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound). Or are you talking about the fixed exchange rate before the crash? It was $1 = ฿22.5, so £1 should have been around ฿40. 

On 9/30/2019 at 3:17 PM, yogi100 said:

Beers were from 30 (Singha) - 45 (Kloster) depending on the venue.

You're way off with the 1,000 baht barfines which were only 100 - 150 and the girl wanted 300 - 500 for herself. Even today only GGBs expect 1000 baht for a barfine.

There was no such arrangement as LT nor ST unless you yourself dispensed with the girls company before she had to go to work. It was a foregone conclusion that she'd stay with you till well into the next day.

It was a great holiday but much too expensive for us to even consider going back. I finally returned in 1999 to 62 baht to the GBP and that was marvelous.

I first encountered the mention of a ST in about 2001 from a girl in Classroom Agogo in Pattayaland. Since then IMO the attitude of the girls has slowly but surely worsened as their income has doubtlessly improved.

Hooray someone. Who knows what they are talking about. My first trip was early 98' no short time then. It was near impossible to get rid of them. Clearly remember changing hotels multiple times as girls would keep coming back for more. Even back them I would never consider living there however always wondered about the mindset of those that would choose to live in the "world class" tourist destination. Bwaaahahaha 

Comedy Gold from the OP. I can guarantee yet another who believes there is a "direct" exchange rate between Sterling and Baht without the all important USD being part of that equation.

It is seriously alarming at times.

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, western establishments are dead, whilst there are thousands of Chinese and Indians making the footpaths, and 7/11's and Family Marts, very busy.

So, whilst Pattaya may be busy, establishments catering for westerners are dead.  See my thread, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?" 

The thing is, the tourists Pattaya is busy with, are zero baht tourist, so whilst Pattaya may be busy, the revenue from these tourists is down, way down. 

The big tourist numbers is not translating into big tourist baht, and in many cases, where the Chinese do spend, are Chinese owned establishments, so any profits made are repatriated back to China.  All Thailand is seeing out of these big tourist numbers is some employment for 300 baht a day Thai workers. 

There is no such thing as a zero baht tourist.  Sounds catchy but doesn't exist.  All tourists contribute to the economy--just some more than others.  What we have are all sorts of different kinds of tourists. They all spend money--even if at limited venues--and they all contribute to keeping people employed whether they are with a low-budget tour group or the growing number of young, independent travelers and families that I am seeing in large numbers all over the city--at The Base, at Unixx, at Riviera Wong Amat, at Centric Sea, at the big hotels, and at lots of the boutique hotels that have sprung up around the city. 

Many of these new tourists do not hang out at bars so with the reduced numbers of western tourists there likely will be some bar closings.  Supply and demand usually takes care of things.  One store closing because there is too much of X will be replaced by another selling Y because there is a shortage of it.  Just normal.

I don't agree that Pattaya is only attracting low-budget tourists--although it gets plenty.  I think it is attracting larger numbers of middle and upper middle income tourists than before; hence all the new construction.  There is a reason Amari built it's new all-suites addition--there were enough customers asking for a suite rather than just a room to warrant building it.  

On 9/30/2019 at 5:31 AM, Dexlowe said:

It hit 96, then briefly flirted with 97, I recall very clearly. I had been getting 18-20 to the NZ dollar - it rose to 36. (For those of us working here at the time, it was devastating - our companies suffered badly, staff laid off, salaries slashed, and so on.)

I have a fishing rod for sale, if you're interested. It only catches oily fish. ????

I was there in 97 when you right it DID hit 97 but only one day I think, when I changed some cash at bkb, the next day it started to drop back down

Archived