Big spending Indians - 5,800 baht a day - set to revolutionize Thai tourism!

webfact

Ha, crystal ball time 'Two million are expected to visit in 2019 - but that will rise to 14 million by the end of the next decade.' And just about as many things could happen (well, slight exaggeration eh?) between now and then to change everything. Where do they get these crazy figures from?????????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gearbox said:

I see none of this in Samui, but then again not many Indians venture here and mostly families are coming.  Most are proper professionals, not tatooed bogans, and spend accordingly.

In fact quite often in the restaurants the worst customers are from a certain European nation, who order little, complain a lot, and hang around for hours after finishing eating.

So you saying to visit Samui to see indians who spend money?

17 hours ago, transam said:

One that tells porkies.....????

Is a couple grand a week a lot of money to you? No porkies here mate. Back to 7-11 for another Chang for you then or is the mom and pop store a couple baht cheaper? You do realise there are expats living in Thailand, outside of Pattaya  that live a life with equivalent spending to what they would do in the west? I know that this site is a haven for the cheapskate but calling me a liar because I can afford to spend more than you seems quite petty. 

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, rawhod said:

My annual spend averages out to at greater than 3,000 Baht per day.

That is only 51% of the daily average spend of the Indian tourist' whose virtues they are extolling, but who is only here for a few weeks.

However, I am here 365 days a year, but the Thai government, in their wisdom, are making it more & more difficult for me to stay in Thailand on my Retirement Extension, but easier for the Indian tourist.

"Daft I calls it"

If you have 3,000 baht a day over 365 days, to spend, there is no way the Thai government is making it difficult for you to stay.

That figure, on average at 90,000 baht a month, gives you ample funds for health insurance and you should also have plenty to bank 800,000 baht method of retirement extension,( worst case scenario) if you have that amount disposable income per month. That is of course, unless you are living well beyond your means.

Furthermore, 90 day reports are done online and the dreaded TM30 hurdle is presently being made easier and user friendly online.

Moving on, I firmly believe that all Thai tourist and government figures on both tourist numbers and their spending habits are simply made up. A person passing through immigration, may simply be on a one or two night stopover, and then on to other destinations as many are. After all, Bangkok is a ' gateway ' to far flung destinations in all directions.

They had the Indians before, back about 15 years ago, huge tour groups of Indians, Indian families, bunches of single Indian men, then that market was pretty well lost. Nothing but complaints from the Indians back then...they were refused entrance to go-go bars, many were beaten by Pattaya WS doormen, the jetski scams and bent coppers were rife. Thais don't like them, think they smell bad, and don't make any attempt to hide their true feelings for Indians. So word got around and the Indian numbers dwindled down. Now they're targeting the Indian market again, but the same problems will also happen again. 

• Like 2

How many will go back home? From Australia experiences it looks like they have the bad habit

of "long term overstay"? Welcome to Thailand where you can see tigers, elephants, king cobras

and locals will Wai you the same as India,  you will feel at home here.

I can assume that 80 percent of experts living in Thailand have no more than 65.000 bath per months. Otherwise why they would choose Thailand to many other countries with clean air beaches and beautiful women. They made the choice because it was cheap.

Then simple calculation

House cost including air con ...10.000 bath per months

Thai wife cost around 10.000 bath per month.

It leaves 45000 bath per month.

45.000/30days = 1500per day.

Can be 0k if man is old and stay home most of time. But very far from good standard life.

Otherwise places like Bahamas, Carribian islands ...... would be better choice.

Thai government knows that and what concerning American tourist who fight with each other about 20 bath. I see it with my own eyes in Bangkok on Causan road.

Maybe that's why government choose Chinese and indians?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

By Colonial Supremacist are you referring to the same group of people who literally invented everything including the transportation that gets the tourists to their destinations without which the very words “Thai Tourism” would have never come into being.

" literally invented everything "
appreciate you underscoring my point !!

22 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

Ridiculous numbers, Chins spending where, 6400 b a day, paid to Chinese tourist company only

They must be taking figures from the tour companies who must be saying their package is worth 5800 baht but we only charge them sale price of 1800 per day... ridiculous figures... the Chinese and Indian tourists must be eating a lot of 711 food to get these numbers...

• Like 2

Someone posted here some time ago that jobs for young Indians are hard to find in India so the family will send the son to Thailand and give them 5-10000 per month until they find some source of income there and most stay illegally.  Go to many resorts like Krabi and you will believe their is truth in this statement.

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Ha, crystal ball time 'Two million are expected to visit in 2019 - but that will rise to 14 million by the end of the next decade.' And just about as many things could happen (well, slight exaggeration eh?) between now and then to change everything. Where do they get these crazy figures from?????????

Never lose sight of the fact that you are living in a country  where fortune tellers are part of the culture.

A certain rich man who was PM had a collection of them, foremost supposedly was a man of Japanese birth in Chiang Mai.  I have the impression his client was unimpressed with him in the end.  Maybe he works for TAT now.

On 10/28/2019 at 1:19 PM, NCC1701A said:

5800 X 14 days = 81,2000

my expenses approximately.  not including one time costs like motorcycle, scooter:

90,000 X 12 months disposable income = 1,080,000.00

1,080,000.00 / by 81,200 = 13.3

so I am worth 13.3 Indian tourists. :clap2:

One thing is sure you are not good at basic logic for comparison.

5800 per day should be compared to your spending for one year by using same amount of time for Indians.

An Indian would have spent 2,117,000 in one year

You worth half of an Indian.   Nothing to be proud of.  Lol

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BestB said:

So you saying to visit Samui to see indians who spend money?

The Indian visitors to Samui are rare breed - I would say the Chinese probably outnumber them 50:1. Also there are Indian immigrants visiting who  live in the countries around like  Singapore. I was talking recently to an Indian family living in Hong Kong and complaining how expensive Samui is...they were staying in Ritz-Carlton for $700 per night. Lol.

6 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

How many will go back home? From Australia experiences it looks like they have the bad habit

of "long term overstay"? Welcome to Thailand where you can see tigers, elephants, king cobras

and locals will Wai you the same as India,  you will feel at home here.

Where do you get your info about the Indian overstayers in Australia? We are selling them phoney university degrees with possibility to get permanent residence in order to prop up the house prices. Same with the Chinese. Otherwise it would be difficult to brag around the bbq "how much my house has gone up". 

• Like 1

So obviously the throngs of visitors from North Africa, Belarus and Moldova we were told to expect is now forgotten. So its back to an old favourite Indian tourists. I seem to remember that Thailand was going to be the hub for Indian weddings as it was cheaper here. Can't be bothered to hunt it out from the archeives but its there amongst many threads going back many years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Petchou said:

One thing is sure you are not good at basic logic for comparison.

5800 per day should be compared to your spending for one year by using same amount of time for Indians.

An Indian would have spent 2,117,000 in one year

You worth half of an Indian.   Nothing to be proud of.  Lol

I think it's maybe you that lacks basic logical comparison skills as we're discussing comparative spend in Thailand per annum. 

If @NCC1701A only spent the same amount of time in country as a single Indian, then yes he's worth about 0.6 in spend terms

However, he spends that amount 52 weeks of the year so assuming the Indian being compared spends 2 weeks in Thailand then his total spend in Thailand is 13.3 x that of 1 x 2 week Indian vacationer.  Obviously if you want to compare him against 26 x 2 week visitors, then he's still "Worth" 13.3 x any single one or 0.6 of the 26 (Do the maths) 

Is it really so difficult to comprehend? 

Edit: Let me put it another way, a couple of times a year I do a Pattaya visit with 8-9 friends 2 of whom are (British) Indians (living in Singapore for many years) and our average spend across 4 days is around 80-100k (Let's say 20K per day, excluding flights & hotels which are paid upfront) & I can safely say that my Indian mates are more towards the right side of that scale (if not beyond) than us Caucasian Brits... But I can guarantee that if we were to move there full time mine & (a couple of the other guys) monthly budget would be 2-3 times theirs'.

E.g One of my Caucasian mates has recently bought a Pool Villa at the Banyan Tree resort in Phuket, when in Pattaya he spends about 1/2 of what the 2 Indian guys spend when we're on a trip, hates buying ladies drinks but thinks nothing of cocktails & seafood buffet at the Hilton, difference being he would do that every week if he lived there

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1