Walking around Silom......Not safe...

moontang

Yes, you should have been arrested. There's no good reason for drinking 6 beers in one day. Even two in a day would be too much in the oppressive heat of Bangkok. Count yourself lucky you weren't locked up! Me, I'm teetotal. Haven't touched an alcoholic drink in over 9 years and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Poison!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, moe666 said:

It gets unsafe when you put yourself in a unsafe situation

Sure, that can happen anywhere in the world, but what actually happened to the OP that made his experience "unsafe"? Was he threatened, beaten up, accosted, robbed?

• Like 1

Your whole post feels like a paranoid person who saw a rat and a few cops after drinking ( maybe 6 beers)  and urinating in a dark area and then YOU are the one staring at cops. I lived on Satorn 12 where it connects to Silom 9 and took your same walk day and night for 10 years!  There is no danger there. Some touts in the night market side but one mai pen rai or no thank you and they leave you alone. Some decent places to eat , lots of massage options a 24 supermarket , coffee places, mall etc. Taxis on the Dusit side you flag down and in the other side you get them closer to Rama 4 ( never one waiting ) here’s a tip because you mention “finally getting one to use meter” well it was 2 am when bars let out but honestly if you’ve been here awhile and don’t know how to do this something Is wrong with you. 
OK: 

You flag down a taxi , never open the front door or talk to the driver through the window. As soon as he stops you open the back door. In your best non foreign accent say sawadee khrap and bai ......your address in Thai ( very easy ) like Satorn soi 12 ( in Thai ) if you don’t know your address in Thai on your second visit here good luck. By the time you say where you are going you are already in the back seat. Then he turns on the meter and you go!!  Wow. It happens to me 99% of the time!  If your going to Bang Na or somewhere else very far away then if he refuses you ( so would I ) at 2 am.  Then just try another one. That’s it!!  Nothing at all happened to you dude!!  The area is clean as well , walk down the side streets , nice buildings , lots of trees that get watered by the water trucks often, Lumphini Park at your door step , metro, sky train , buses and plenty of cabs that USE the meter! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, moontang said:

Correct, and apparently it isn't safe to walk around the perimeter of the Silom Bar areas. Was just trying to compare notes with others, who may have more experience in that area.  Pay 10 million for a condo, and you get rat infested sidewalks and cops looking for a quick extortion.. count me out. 

That did not happen! By exactly your own words. Something is wrong with you. You were staring at an ugly cop ( you were so close you know the color of his teeth ) You saw a rat in Bangkok! I lived in that neighborhood 10 years. No problem ever. BTW I paid 3 million for my condo near Silom and sold it for 6 in 26 days no complaints here. 

Edited by alex8912

57 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

If you are a foreigner and drunk. (now i think at 3am we can assume you were drunk be honest) the cops are gonna smell a bit of money to be had.  fair game in kingdom.  whats the fix . ?  dont get drunk at 3am in kingdom

Shame on me for thinking you could consume alcohol on a Saturday night in the most expensive area of the entire country and not get harrased... in an area built by the bar business. 

12 minutes ago, moontang said:

Shame on me for thinking you could consume alcohol on a Saturday night in the most expensive area of the entire country and not get harrased... in an area built by the bar business. 

In what way were you harassed?

From what I can see nothing happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

If you are a foreigner and drunk. (now i think at 3am we can assume you were drunk be honest) the cops are gonna smell a bit of money to be had.  fair game in kingdom.  whats the fix . ?  dont get drunk at 3am in kingdom

Did you not read the whole post? Nothing happened. The cops didn't ask him for money, they didn't even speak to him. Absolutely nothing happened at all. 

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

Why are you afraid of the BIB if you had nothing to hide ??

Because some might plant drugs on you if you don't watch out, to then extort you.

That's why.

BiB in Thailand (Bangkok in particular) is not meant to serve the foreigner, but milk them for money.

This article in time.com explains how they are good at planting drugs.

https://time.com/3674200/thailand-tourism-police-corruption-shakedown-extortion/

"About 15 minutes later, another police officer produced a bag of white powder, shook it near my face and accused me of buying it. I emphatically denied the claim. Meanwhile, other police officers began helping themselves to drinks from the bar. When the bartender protested, they kicked him in the shins."

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

That article also shows that the report is based on information that's at least five years old.

You are right of course.

2015 was a corrupt year.

Since then, Thailand has moved forward.

With the monetary levels of the extortions, that is. ????

• Haha 1

The OP seems to be complaining that after a well-oiled night in Patpong, he had a leak on Silom Road where he sees some police officers who saw him also but didn't do anything, then got into a taxi and went home. 

Why did he miss out the part that justifies his "not safe" claim?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lkv said:
7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That article also shows that the report is based on information that's at least five years old.

You are right of course.

2015 was a corrupt year.

Since then, Thailand has moved forward.

With the monetary levels of the extortions, that is. ????

"Since then, Thailand has moved forward.

With the monetary levels of the extortions, that is".

A little bit of hilarious sarcasm but nothing to back up your comment?  

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Since then, Thailand has moved forward.

With the monetary levels of the extortions, that is".

A little bit of hilarious sarcasm but nothing to back up your comment?  

What, that they want bribes that are ranging from 3 times to 10 times more compared to 2015?

Yeah sorry, just take my word on it, or cross check with other posters in various aspects of daily life.

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1