OA to O - how is this accomplished?

I might be wrong but I don't believe that this can be accomplished (legally) inside of Thailand.  You can get a 12 month extension (on your original O-A entry) for purposes other than retirement i.e. marriage or Thai family etc but I believe that one must exit Thailand 1st and then start the Non-O process (one way or another either at a foreign embassy/consulate or here in Thailand after entering on a 30 day exempt etc.) in order to actually get a Non-O Visa.

Some say an agent can make it happen for $$$$$$ but I wouldn't go that route.

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Savannaket is one of the possible options, but it's actually just a matter of exiting Thailand. 

Reason being that you need to 'kill' your not-expired OA extension of stay, in order to be able to apply for another Visa type, i.e. a Non Imm O.

To 'kill' your present not-expired OA extension of stay, exiting Thailand without a re-entry permit is sufficient, as that will void the OA permission to stay.

If you did buy a single or multiple re-entry permit, you could visit your IO first to cancel them (otherwise your OA permission to stay will be kept alive).

Having exited Thailand you can then apply for the Non Imm O at the thai embassy/consulate of the country you went to (but check up front if they do issue Non Imm O - retirement Visa there).  You can also simply re-enter Thailand and apply for a Non Imm O - retirement at your local IO.  Once you have the 90 days Non Imm O Visa, you can then apply in the last month of its validity, for a 1 year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O - retirement. 

So you can cancel easy enough any single or reentry permit you have at Immigration?

if so, no big drama for the OA people

You would still have to leave Thailand, and if one does that perhaps getting the Non-Imm-O in a neighbouring  country is easiest. Alternatively, returning with a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt entry.... that entry can be converted to a Non-Imm-O in Thailand. 

Note: The original Extension (on the O-A Entry Permission) should not have any valid Re-Entry Permit, and the Original Visa expired of course. Or the Extension expires while out of Thailand. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Why not if it works? Silly attitude. It's the end result that matters. The cost of using an agent, approximately 30K, is far less than leaving the country and going through the process. Find an agent that has a good reputation.

Agents are all bending or breaking the law, so by definition your dealing with underhanded practices.. 

When your passport goes missing, putting you onto overstay, what are you going to tell the police ?? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I might be wrong but I don't believe that this can be accomplished (legally) inside of Thailand.  You can get a 12 month extension (on your original O-A entry) for purposes other than retirement i.e. marriage or Thai family etc but I believe that one must exit Thailand 1st and then start the Non-O process (one way or another either at a foreign embassy/consulate or here in Thailand after entering on a 30 day exempt etc.) in order to actually get a Non-O Visa.

Some say an agent can make it happen for $$$$$$ but I wouldn't go that route.

Yes, I was told by an agent that he can get for me in Thailand for a small fortune.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Why not if it works? Silly attitude. It's the end result that matters. The cost of using an agent, approximately 30K, is far less than leaving the country and going through the process. Find an agent that has a good reputation.

But the "end result" you refer to is actually a short term or intermediate term result which may be reasonably predictable. The "end result" can't possibly be predicted especially if you intend to stay here long-term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine that if the Thai government see lots of people moving from O-A to O that there will soon be a change to the law requiring insurance for the O too.  You already see talk of requiring insurance for everyone that enters Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Savannaket is one of the possible options, but it's actually just a matter of exiting Thailand. 

Reason being that you need to 'kill' your not-expired OA extension of stay, in order to be able to apply for another Visa type, i.e. a Non Imm O.

To 'kill' your present not-expired OA extension of stay, exiting Thailand without a re-entry permit is sufficient, as that will void the OA permission to stay.

If you did buy a single or multiple re-entry permit, you could visit your IO first to cancel them (otherwise your OA permission to stay will be kept alive).

Having exited Thailand you can then apply for the Non Imm O at the thai embassy/consulate of the country you went to (but check up front if they do issue Non Imm O - retirement Visa there).  You can also simply re-enter Thailand and apply for a Non Imm O - retirement at your local IO.  Once you have the 90 days Non Imm O Visa, you can then apply in the last month of its validity, for a 1 year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O - retirement. 

I'm struggling with the O-A retirement versus O- retirement you mention.

What are the differences?

Thanks for a reply from anyone on this thread

• Like 1

I don't know anything about this except that I entered Thailand many years ago on a non-O-A obtained outside Thailand showing no financial data at all.

I changed it to a non-O based on retirement in Bangkok and have extended that ever since. I have changed passports and the current passport mentions only Non O. I showed financial statements, police reports and medical

I am assuming I do not need medical insurance and have funds here that exceed the insurance requirements more than 30 fold and so I self insure. I resent having to pay piratical insurance premiums to greedy insurance companies. If when I apply for my next extension next year and it turns out insurance is required, I will leave Thailand.

I intend to apply for the extension 30 days prior to expiry so that I will have some time to sort my affairs out in the event that they want insurance.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Note: those who are married still have the option to apply for an OA extension based on marriage instead of retirement.

At Nonthaburi Immigration I thought that I could change my Non O-A based on retirement to one based on marriage, but IO told me that I have to leave the country and apply for an Non-O 90 day and then extend it based on marriage with the

Non-O visa.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, maxx58 said:

At Nonthaburi Immigration I thought that I could change my Non O-A based on retirement to one based on marriage, but IO told me that I have to leave the country and apply for an Non-O 90 day and then extend it based on marriage with the Non-O visa.

Afaik it should normally be possible to do it at your local IO.

See link with requirements >

https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323240904.pdf

However, as it is a lot of paperwork local IO's often prefer that you apply at a thai embassy/consulate abroad.

See also this post >

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could leave on the last day of the extension and then re-enter the country the next day visa exempt or apply for a non-o or tourist visa. By doing it that way the extension and re-entry permit would of already expired.

Or you could apply for an extension a few days before it expires, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country to give some flexibility for the day you leave the country.

ubonjoe,

If a person leaves Thailand with a retirement extension of stay with an underlying OA visa from Christmas past (say he going to Savannakhet or Vientiane to get a Non-O), intentionally does not have a re-entry permit to keep the retirement extension alive (because he wants to kill off the extension), and decides to do this trip say months before the retirement extension naturally expires for whatever reason, Would the Thai embassy accept the Non-O visa application?  Or would they reject the application because they wanted to see the retirement extension expire naturally before accepting a Non-O application (that is, they ignore you didn't have a re-entery permit to keep the extension alive...they still consider the retirement extension to be valid).

20 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

A visa run for a non-O can be made from about 6,000 baht all travel costs and hotel with breakfast included, and guide, but exclusive of embassy or consulate fee for the visa. (One example from where you live is here.)

You can also do it yourself without using an organized tour, but might not be much cheaper.

And if you have a tourist visa or visa exempt, it should – according to posts in Thaivisa-forum – be possible to easily change by yourself to a non-immigrant "O" for 2,000 baht fee at an immigration office without leaving the Kingdom; even a Pattaya visa-agent says that their service is not needed for that, but they can provide it on request...????

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure they know that an extension ends on the day your leave the country.

Hopefully we'll see reports over the coming months to help answer this.....like people going to Savannakhet/Vientiane "before" their OA Retirement Extension of Stay has expired.

22 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Do you think it's expensive to do a return trip to Savannakhet incl. 1 night at a hotel + 2000 baht for the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement? Or do the same to Penang if staying in south Thailand. Google it and you'll see. 

I have a O-A extension based on retirement coming due soon and was refused a new extension without Thai health insurance. So I plan to switch to "O" either by a border run coming back Visa Exempt and converting at CW or just getting the "O" based on retirement either in Vientiane or Savannakhet. Questions are:

1. Do both these locations offer Non-Imm O based on retirement? I seem to recall reading that Vientiane will not anymore based on retirement.

2. Do I have to show police records check and/or medical certificate to qualify at these locations. I'm sure I could get a medical done locally but the records check from home country would be impossible remotely. 

3. Any other adjacent country Thai consulates recommended (to get the non-imm O) when travelling from Bangkok that might also offer some vacation attraction.

• Like 2