O_A Extensions 75+ Based on Retirement ONLY.

12 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

He is doing an extension of stay. My understanding is that the financial requirements for money in the bank are the same for extending from a non OA as they are for a non O, ie. 800,000 for 2 months prior, 800,000 for 3 months after and not allowed to drop below 400,000. The problem appears to be that if you are extending from a non OA immigration are requiring health insurance. The original new rule as I remember only stated that insurance was needed when applying for the non OA but immigration seem to be applying it to extensions from a non OA as well.

Agree it’s important to many, myself and all my Ozzie mates have extensions of OA. I asked an agent last week who was unsure at this stage regarding the insurance at extension time. Surely someone would have extended by now?

• Thanks 2

I have been living in Thailand for almost 10 years now. Each year I have returned to the US for my annual physical, taxes, and to visit family. Each time I obtained a Non-OA long stay VISA at the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angles. I am now 75 going on 76 (May) and cannot find any health insurance for my age in Thailand. I am planning another trip to the US in March 2020. I am looking at a Non-O VISA married to Thai this time and apply for extended stay based on marriage once I get back in Thailand. I have a documented retirement income in excess of 165,000 Baht per month but don’t have the 400,000 in the bank.  My wife has house book, Thai ID and Passport. Additionally, I have an adopted Thai son. What are my best options? Does anyone have some suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Tony45 said:

I am 74. O A visa extended 5 times for retirement. Just took out Pacific Cross. 90 000 baht premium and many exclusions including first 300 000 baht per year for three years for cardiac and other issues. It is a 90 000 baht ticket to get retirement extension.  Immigration laws give me no choice. I go today for next extension. Should be OK.

Did IO advise you Insurance was required please?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Go4er said:

I have been living in Thailand for almost 10 years now. Each year I have returned to the US for my annual physical, taxes, and to visit family. Each time I obtained a Non-OA long stay VISA at the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angles. I am now 75 going on 76 (May) and cannot find any health insurance for my age in Thailand. I am planning another trip to the US in March 2020. I am looking at a Non-O VISA married to Thai this time and apply for extended stay based on marriage once I get back in Thailand. I have a documented retirement income in excess of 165,000 Baht per month but don’t have the 400,000 in the bank.  My wife has house book, Thai ID and Passport. Additionally, I have an adopted Thai son. What are my best options? Does anyone have some suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

Start saving!

17 minutes ago, Go4er said:

I have an adopted Thai son. What are my best options? Does anyone have some suggestions for me?

There is some kind of family support visa where I believe you don't need to have the funds i.e. 400,000 baht in the bank, although I could be wrong.

You may wish to PM Ubonjoe as he extremely knowledgeable on visas/extensions here on TVF. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Best option change visa type O-A  based on retirement to non O based on marriage NOT in Thailand but in your home country or nearby country to avoid the problem concerning the health insurance. This is also the advice what the Immigration Officers give here in Thailand.

I presume that they want get rid of that type of visa ( O-A).

There is already a discrimination because one must have 400k on the bank and the other 800k. The proposal is that you must have a Thai insurance and if you read the small letters on the policy, some illnesses are not covered. They have the privilege to cancel the insurance policy.

There is a law that says that it is legal that the price for a treatment for foreigners (falang) is double or triple than for a Thai person. How long do you think you must wait to see the problems?

The price for a health insurance is also too expensive for most people. I also don't understand why there are no transitional measures taken place for this issue.

44 minutes ago, Go4er said:

I just went on Pacific Cross Insurance website. You can get coverage if you enter by year 75. If you are 75+ you can not get a quote.

A Pacific Cross agent told me you could apply up to age 76. 

At 74, I was told 81,000 baht per year, but first a quite extensive medical exam.

Edited by Suradit69

"It is a 90 000 baht ticket to get retirement extension"

-Tony45-

It seems indeed that now ca. 100000 will be the price to pay to get an extension for us elderly. 

The extra document needed will be called "Insurance";

but likely with no real value. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

"It is a 90 000 baht ticket to get retirement extension"

-Tony45-

It seems indeed that now ca. 100000 will be the price to pay to get an extension for us elderly. 

The extra document needed will be called "Insurance";

but likely with no real value. 

Obtain non O based on retirement. Not difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtain non O based on retirement. Not difficult.

Temporary solution I guess , as when them in power see the incoming extra's it will be expanded to the next group ...and so on and on

Who would refuse a money cash cow to multiply ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Tony45 said:

I am 74. O A visa extended 5 times for retirement. Just took out Pacific Cross. 90 000 baht premium and many exclusions including first 300 000 baht per year for three years for cardiac and other issues. It is a 90 000 baht ticket to get retirement extension.  Immigration laws give me no choice. I go today for next extension. Should be OK.

A 90k ticket now but what happens in a few years when it rises to 150k, 250k ...

Changing from an O-A to an O will bypass the insurance requirement but what happens if immigration sees people changing from O-A to O to bypass insurance and then changes the requirement for an O visa to include medical insurance. By the time this happens most of the people who changed to an O are now over age 80 and are S.O.L.

I would suggest IF you can afford medical insurance get it now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Changing from an O-A to an O will bypass the insurance requirement but what happens if immigration sees people changing from O-A to O to bypass insurance and then changes the requirement for an O visa to include medical insurance. By the time this happens most of the people who changed to an O are now over age 80 and are S.O.L.

I would suggest IF you can afford medical insurance get it now.

It would be far bigger impact to widen this pool of catchment from OA visas to all non imm O's.. While I think it will happen I also think it will be many years down the road. Secondly given it is the last resort, I would guess there will need to be much greater consideration placed on folks who cannot obtain insurance, and other options presented. The negative publicity of forced exit of so many 1000s would be much greater than currently. 

Anyone in this position is better making the change sooner rather than later. There is also the possibility that grandfathering is applied to the non imm O retirement class, which would be worthwhile to be in. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

This a big, big worry for many.

Goodluck to everyone and me.

I hope only sensible post come on here because it is so important 

Yes, but is it confirmed anywhere that OA extensions require insurance ,either by IO or by experience of expats? UJ can you confirm please?

4 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

It would be far bigger impact to widen this pool of catchment from OA visas to all non imm O's.. While I think it will happen I also think it will be many years down the road. Secondly given it is the last resort, I would guess there will need to be much greater consideration placed on folks who cannot obtain insurance, and other options presented. The negative publicity of forced exit of so many 1000s would be much greater than currently. 

Anyone in this position is better making the change sooner rather than later. There is also the possibility that grandfathering is applied to the non imm O retirement class, which would be worthwhile to be in. 

Why grandfather one group over another, both I would think!

• Like 2