Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Thailand is a huge country to travel. In fact, there are so many places you can travel in Bangkok that one week is absolutely nothing at all.

Lol. I can imagine where you are from. We have 4 individual states that are the same size or bigger than Thailand. I mean you think France is big??

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, elliss said:

The end is nigh , repent your sinners .

Not forgetting  cheap charlies , spend while you can,  no pockets in shrouds ..

My mate was from Yorkshire and when abraded for his spendthrift ways with 'There's no pockets in a shroud', he commented that Yorkshire tailors are very creative.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Will people be surprised if the government impose a mandatory mask wearing for everyone including foreigners?

Definitely. At least I would as I am educating myself with the opinion of the experts from the rest of the world and sincerely as it is not an airborne disease, once you have accustomed yourselves to social distancing ....If anything I would wear the tennis like hat with the plastic visor protecting the whole face from exterior agression but definitely not the useless "surgical" mask letting any particles through.

12 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

that made me laugh, thank you. No I wasn't a mess, but healthier now for sure. Age being a factor is a bit of a generalization. Young people can have problems, be 50 lbs overweight, and smoke 2 packs a day, or not. Some old guys of 50 look like they're 8 months pregnant and couldn't make it up one flight of stairs. Age AND condition, not just age my friend.

And the world revolves around 5’s and especially 10’s. I actually HATE that. 
it should be retirement starts at 61. No one under 23 allowed. Senior discount over 62. Everybody over 58 stay home. 37 to 46 year olds think... But I think too many guys in Thailand are called “Hansom” by naughty young ladies and they ACTUALLY believe it!! Yah you are right. We all see guys that may even be in their 40’s ( or even say they are) in Pattaya and they look 63! The worst thing for me is no gyms here in BKK till April 12 and I go back to the States ( I think ) Thursday to no gyms there too ( probably longer ) These new rules here starting “ maybe “ the 26 th or whenever are really gonna be a big bummer.  I definitely eat more with nothing to do. 

42 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

BBi1, I am 62, in the best shape of my life, don't smoke, hardly drink, not overweight, no underlying health issues, bench press better than most half my age, eat healthy, get plenty of rest, and my only stress is this darn forum and dolts I feel compelled to reply to (MOD: not picking on anyone specifically).

Think I'm going to strain the health system? Eh, I doubt it. And I have the required health insurance for the retirement visa. Generalizations are a b*tch eh?

Welcome to the club albeit I am much younger than you. I bear a light 60 ???? 

45 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

BBi1, I am 62, in the best shape of my life, don't smoke, hardly drink, not overweight, no underlying health issues, bench press better than most half my age, eat healthy, get plenty of rest, and my only stress is this darn forum and dolts I feel compelled to reply to (MOD: not picking on anyone specifically).

Think I'm going to strain the health system? Eh, I doubt it. And I have the required health insurance for the retirement visa. Generalizations are a b*tch eh?

OK, but you're still a farang.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

Wifey just said that Thai gov said province to province travel will be forbidden. Curfews for evening time. Delivery drivers/logistics drivers (Kerry) and post office vehicles permitted.

Anyone arriving back home between now and the 26th, 14 dats self isolation. Doctor's son from our village just arrived back. Currently in isolation in his room. Pu Yai came to check that he had a health cert and that he was abiding by the rules. Seems they are taking this quite seriously, thank godness. ????

That would be good if Kerry and post offices stay running/open.  Could be a way to get critical items delivered or health and comfort items to help folks deal with staying at home.  My passport is about full so the US Embassy does mail renewals, not going to worry about that for a while though.   No problem staying busy here, wife has me doing the "honey do" list at home that I have been procrastinating on for a bit.  

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

Is doing a 90 day an essential task in order to leave home ?

Of course it's essential. Just think of the unemployment levels for unskilled workers if we were to stop!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

Goodluck in Laos, they think faranges are lepers now.

Well I have been many times and I have friends there and places I can go. I think I will be ok with that. I have been planning to move to Savanakhet, and have a good friend who runs a guest house in the mountains near Kasi. The real concern would be the low quality of health care.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

Have you asked Immigration these questions or are you making it up as you go

The Thai Govt is certainly making it up as they go.... clueless as usual..... and too late. Did anyone see the mass exodus at Morchit bus station? Viral spread nationwide by the bus load.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Lissos said:
2 hours ago, jmccarty said:

This is getting off topic and would like to know what the state of emergency measures will be.  Not that I am more than impressed by some of your personal visa issues, but this topic is a lot more important to us.

Agreed. Aiming to fly out on Friday, and have had to sift through 23 pages largely of side pub talk in the hope of finding points more directly relevant to the topic. Frustrating!

Although the specifics of the State of Emergency haven't been officially published, the PM does cover a lot of ground in today's statement which is more fully covered in the 'other' newspaper. They also detail all the extraordinary powers that the PM will have once the SoE is officially called.

After a sobering read, maybe it would be better for some 'transients' to go home after all.

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Personally I really hope the Government as soon as possible can give some details regarding this state of emergency and hope they follow Germany where going for a individual run, a walk, riding a bike and stationary exercise still is allowed as long as you not do it in a group. If I have to sit in a small condo 24/7 looking at soap operas I will choose flying out of here when its still possible to get a flight home even with the risks it involve to travel now.

3 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Personally I really hope the Government as soon as possible can give some details regarding this state of emergency and hope they follow Germany where going for a individual run, a walk, riding a bike and stationary exercise still is allowed as long as you not do it in a group. If I have to sit in a small condo 24/7 looking at soap operas I will choose flying out of here when its still possible to get a flight home even with the risks it involve to travel now.

I heard in the UK, people can go out once a day -  how the hell can they monitor this?

The governments have total control over the people now, it was planned all along. next step, the reset of the financial system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

so it was basically an announcement of a future announcment

This is the decision that that decides the decisive decision to be decided when the PM decides, wich will be at the right time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zikomat said:

My bet is that on 26 of March all the immigration offices will be closed for visitors with total visa amnesty declared for everybody already in Thailand. It should have happen at least a month ago but better late than never.

Do you really think that immigration would want more foreigners to be in Thailand in this crisis? If your home country haven't barred their citizens, there won't be any visa amnesty.

3 hours ago, Slip said:

Crikey Danny- Your friend must get bored quickly:  The new measures were only announced last night.  I guess there are many in the same boat though.  I'm in the YUK at the moment with a flight back on the 31st of this month and due to return to work mid-May with a non-imm B which needs to be extended by mid-June.  Who knows what will happen, but we made a decision not to dash like mad back home to Thailand at the end of last week, hunker down, and wait it out here.

Well I hope your flight on the 31st isn't cancelled. More importantly how are you going to obtain the health certificate that proves you are virus free and have the required cover for Covid 19. If you dont have both these the airline wont let you check in.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1