How to speak with food delivery guy

Nordude

Could someone walk me through how a normal conversation with a food delivery guy goes?

I order Grab, Get, or Foodpanda every day, but I don't know how to speak with them. That's a shame because I know quite a few words by now.

Everything from I pick up the phone and say Hallo (or whatever is appropriate), their typical response, and how I can say I'm coming down to pick up the food.

How can I say "keep the change"? Or if I pay by card and give an extra 20, what should I say then?

On 4/8/2020 at 1:32 PM, BORRISGOODENUF said:

May I suggest you practice using the translator on your phone, it is also possible to conduct a conversation.

regards!

Yes excellent idea, Google translate for all it limitations (well free so I really should not complain) can keep you in the conversations game. 

There is an interactive conversation feature; you can practice your Thai to Eng translations

Also you can use it at your food pickup.....

After many years of using it the secret to getting the most accuracy out of it is common words and short sentences.

If you can keep each sentences down to 5 words or less each time it's usable buy both parties.

Start rambling on with elongated sentences and it's garbage most of the time.

Don't get frustrated practicing your Thai with Google translate because the Thai words toning is critical and as you don't I suspect have the natural Thai sounding skills you will be challenged. 

On 4/8/2020 at 10:05 AM, recom273 said:

I applaud your sentiment - I always had a little part time business delivering fish to London restaurants late at night, you need those times or interaction, when people say, “Grab a beer from the fridge”.

How about 

thung li-yang - are you here? ( he will reply - thung lay-o)

Gam-Lang maa - I’m coming!

Pep Neung - Must a moment

Law Sa-kool ( like a disjointed “school”) na Krup - ok, Can you wait a moment.

Mai dong thawn ( like a “torn” ) - don’t return the change / keep the change

Cap rot dee dee na krup - drive safely 

Preview with a Thai person, because there’s a good chance you will interpret them wrongly and the food guy won’t have a clue what you are saying, he will just sit, smile and agree with you. 

It's better not to speak Thai if you can't get the tones and pronunciation right. 

They can understand simple English alright. Just don't use slang words that they didn't learn in school,.

Instead of saying 'keep the change' just shorten to 'keep money'.

'Change' might mean changing money which might be confusing to them.

After all, they took 11 years to learn English whereas most foreigners didn't even take 6 months to learn Thai.

Edited by EricTh

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 9:24 PM, AlQaholic said:

When speaking on the phone, you say "Hello", they will answer "Hello", you say "yes, Hello", they will say "Hello", then you say "Hello", they answer with "Hello?", then you answer with "Hello?" and they will answer with "Hello", you answer with "Hello" and so on, you get the idea.

Lazada deliveries via Kerry and DHL work the same way. Here's how it plays out:

Your phone rings.

You: Hello?

(10 to 15 seconds of silence will then ensue.)

You: Hello? . . . Hello? . . . HELLO!

(Another 5-10 seconds of silence. Then a static crackling voice will announce, as if from the depths of Hades, Hello?

You: Yes, yes, hello?

Him: Hello.

You: Okay?

Him: (A litany of crackling Thai gibberish not even a native speaker could understand. However, you, being the well-prepared individual that you are, are anticipating a delivery for today, and you don't normally have Thai men calling you, so safe to assume it's the delivery guy.)

So you say, I come now. I come now. Okay?

Hopefully he says, Okay.

And then, if you live in a condo, as I do, the hunt begins.

If you find him all else is moot. Hard part is over.

5 hours ago, Hawkeye Newman said:

Lazada deliveries via Kerry and DHL work the same way. Here's how it plays out:

Your phone rings.

You: Hello?

(10 to 15 seconds of silence will then ensue.)

You: Hello? . . . Hello? . . . HELLO!

(Another 5-10 seconds of silence. Then a static crackling voice will announce, as if from the depths of Hades, Hello?

You: Yes, yes, hello?

Him: Hello.

You: Okay?

Him: (A litany of crackling Thai gibberish not even a native speaker could understand. However, you, being the well-prepared individual that you are, are anticipating a delivery for today, and you don't normally have Thai men calling you, so safe to assume it's the delivery guy.)

So you say, I come now. I come now. Okay?

Hopefully he says, Okay.

And then, if you live in a condo, as I do, the hunt begins.

If you find him all else is moot. Hard part is over.

I do not have that problem, when Kerry or what ever delivery company driver calls, i just say farang u bahn.

Never a problem, did that only yesterday, 5 minutes later driver at the gate.

Helps if you learn directions to your home in Thai, so if a new driver i explain to them how to get here.

Edited by colinneil