FRUSTRATION. Thai Wife Needs To Get Back To Thailand - Can't Get Test!

Aloha,

I know we are not the only ones in this situation, and there's not much recourse -- but my Thai wife is very upset.

* I'm American USA.  She's lived on Maui, Hawaii with me for 4 years.  Has a 10-year Green Card & SS Number. I'm 66.  She's 57.

* My wife's mother is in ICU in Nong Khai.  Her father is having medical problems.  They are doing very poorly.  Not expected to make it.

* Maui, Hawaii is on Mandatory Shutdown.  Only 1 or 2 flights a day now.

* I called the consulate in Honolulu, Hawaii.  I got a call back.  I was told, emphatically, that she needs a Virus Test to be negative and a legal document stating she is a Thai National.  He can get me the document.

* I called HMSA -- our Hawaii medical provider.  They basically said:  "No Way".  There are not enough tests on the island now, and they will NOT give her a test for any reason.  I fully explained that one of her parents may pass shortly.  They were nice -- but no go on the test.

Airlines to BKK from Honolulu are few.  She would have to go through Narita (Tokyo) or Taipei.  United Airlines has few options.

I know there was a 14-day quarantine, even for Thai Nationals.  But now there are no flights allowed into Thailand.

Any other suggestions or ideas?  I'm exploring all sorts of options -- with no luck.

My wife wants to be there on the passing of one, or both, of her parents.  They are both in their late 80's.

Best Aloha Wishes & Blessings For Good Health To All Of You!

CAAT is allowing some 5th freedom flights into Thailand, and charters, usually empty - Aeroflot had such a flight ex HKT on Friday, and some repatriation flights into Thailand during the current CAAT ban, in effect until 18 April.

There was a repatriation flight from HND (on NH metal) this week; ~32 Thais all of whom went into mandatory quarantine. 

Most expect the CAAT ban to get extended until the 30th of April.

Not sure much can be done at present. Tens of thousands of Thais are stranded, and they are currently unable to return. I wouldn't leave the U.S. until a Thai diplomatic representative, probably in LA or DC, gives a firm plan.

• Like 1

Sounds like the OP Thai wife doesn't posses a Thai passport.

I am in Japan there are Thais here waiting for flights in Narita they just need to get a fitness to fly certificate. Apparently available at some local hospital, but you cant get in the country anymore, transit is allowed.

Korea is closing to Americans April 13, not clear if transit is allowed by the message I read yesterday. Probably possible to fly to BKK on KE once flights open up, but again she would be quarantined there.

Im very sorry for you both especially your wife. 

No flights, quarantine on entry and I'm sure additional restrictions at the hospital seem to make this trip at the moment very unlikely.  

Thailand is thoroughly locked down with a curfew in place. As an example a vet was imprisoned the other day for going out to help a dog after 10 pm. They are taking this very seriously and people are paranoid of travelers making travel to the provinces even more difficult. There are also road blocks/police stops likely to be located at entry and exit points of every province.

Sorry but this is the reality at the moment.

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

As quite often happens, the in country Thai consualtes have no idea of the latest information. The consulate in Honolulu, Hawaii are incorrect in stating that she needs a Virus Test to be negative and a legal document stating she is a Thai National. This was the original requirements about 2 weeks ago which was then replaced by a "fit to fly document required. Since then CAAT have banned all but repatriation flights until 18 April. Your wife needs to contact the consulate again and point this out and that your wife requires repariation to Thailand. As others have pointed out, even if she does get a flight she will have to go into mandatory quarantine for 14 days.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

Your not going to come in via commercial air no matter what papers you have.. Repatriation flights only. 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

THAILAND - published 06.04.2020
Flights to Thailand are suspended from 3 April 2020 17:00 UTC until 18 April 2020 17:00 UTC.
- This does not apply to state or military aircraft, emergency landing, technical landing without disembarkation, humanitarian aid, medical, relief and repatriation flights. Passengers will be subject to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

I have multiple threads in the swampy sub forum regarding airlines schedules. It is possible to get from Honululu to Bangkok but its expensive and slow. You can book a flight through Lufthansa from LAX to BKK for about $2600 one way. So you would have to get to LAX then the booking using the Lufthansa website is United to JFK, Lufthansa to Frankfurt and Lufthansa to BKK. United through from HNL to BKK is not possible. You also have to take into account that FRA-LHR is only 3 days a week. Flying via asia looks very complicated due to transit being forbidden at Taipei, Seoul and Hong Kong and the list is growing. I think only Beijing is possible in China and I could well be wrong.

Which ever route you fly you still need a fit to fly document and they only last 72 hours. After what happened at Swampy expect expect Thai army hospitality for 2 weeks.

Getting to Nong Khai well Nok are still flying 2 daily from DMK to Udon but I won't trust them. NCA buses are now stopped. I don't know about other Morchit buses. I would be surprised if a taxi driver would risk the journey. Train no idea.

• Like 2

I would add that Qatar still fly to JFK, ORD, IAD and DFW but they will not book through to BKK. You can book the other way, 3500baht to Chicago. KLM are also booking to BKK but only 2 flights a week. Perhaps you should check German, Dutch and UK Thai Embassy web sites as they might have Thai doctors issuing certifcates. London did this by setting up a temporary consulate at a hotel near Heathrow but I believe this has now stopped. All the important Thais have gone back so whats left are not important.

• Like 2

@SteveInBKKandMAUI

Frankly, I think the Thai government should provide Covid test for their own citizens at the Thai airport on arrival since they are the ones who require this draconian test. This isn't fair for Thai citizens as some countries don't have arbitrary Covid test.

As for flights, if there are no direct flights , you might want to take indirect flights via another route like Los Angeles where there are more flights to East Asia.

The other solution would be to get help from her relatives in Thailand to talk to the Thai government about her predicament.

• Haha 1

A very difficult situation and a very sad one indeed, My wife's parents passed away in the past couple of years and it was a very traumatic experience for her.

I feel bad for both of you 

But given the situation , and even if your wife could get permission to fly and could find airline tickets , I would be concerned about her flying at this time. Spending such a long time on airplanes and  airports is  dangerous to her health . Also if she got there , spending prolonged time in hospitals is not a good situation also.

Not giving her permission to fly might be a blessing in disguise. 

I truly don't mean to be insensitive, but it is something to consider

Let's hope her parents recover. 

• Like 1

I know it hard but in the circumstances would I not be best to contact them via line whatsapp.

Even if you did go, you would not be allowed in the same room and have to talk through a window. Also think of the risk to you, and more importantly the risk of spreading the virus. If every one had your approach, there would be millions of people travelling, and putting other people in your situation unnecessary!

Edited by Badboldie
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@SteveInBKKandMAUI

Frankly, I think the Thai government should provide Covid test for their own citizens at the Thai airport on arrival since they are the ones who require this draconian test. This isn't fair for Thai citizens as some countries don't have arbitrary Covid test.

As for flights, if there are no direct flights , you might want to take indirect flights via another route like Los Angeles where there are more flights to East Asia.

The other solution would be to get help from her relatives in Thailand to talk to the Thai government about her predicament.

Is that a serious post. Not one aspect remotely makes sense or is feasible.

• Like 2

As others have noted, travel aside I don't see how she would be able to visit her parents in time should the worst happen. If she was allowed to, at her age she would be putting herself at significant risk to visit her parents in person. Terrible situation all around.

In other countries where family cannot visit patients (I mean blocked from entering the hospital), some are providing family with tablets so they can communicate with video calls.

Edited by jacob29

On 4/12/2020 at 2:46 AM, Mitkof Island said:

There are many of us in much the same situation. Until there are millions of more tests or Thailand lowers the requirements . Does your wife understand that she can not visit her parents if they have the virus already?

If she could get a flight to BKK it won't help her a bit. She will be put in quarantine 14 days on arrival. Either in a hotel in BKK or somewhere else. The quarantine is non-negotiable.