Man 20, surrenders to police with one ya bah pill so he can get food in prison

rooster59

Man 20, surrenders to police with one ya bah pill so he can get food in prison

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1586606073_1-org.jpg

The young man is now in police custody, where he will be fed. Photo: Wichit Police

PHUKET: Police today they said they had no choice but to arrest a 20-year-old man who presented himself at Wichit Police Station with just one pill of ya bah (methamphetamine) so he could be sent to prison and get food.

The man, 20-year-old Chayaphon Atdin, from Songkhla Province, presented himself at the police station at 11:30am today (Apr 11), said Lt Col Chatchai Chunu, Chief of the Wichit Police Investigation Division.

“According to officers at the police station, this has never happened before,” Lt Col Chatchai said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/man-20-surrenders-to-police-with-one-ya-bah-pill-so-he-can-get-food-in-prison-75677.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-12

• Sad 5

16 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

you've missed the point.

People in some european countries that sleep rough do this in the winter to get a warm bed and 3 square meals a day.

And Free medical care

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Very sad story. I would hazard a guess he applied for the 5,000 a month and was rejected. Hungry and desperate he has done something appalling, which will keep him at least fed and housed for now. I wish him better fortune when he gets out and this has hopefully passed us by.

It was only one tablet your making it sound like he had a bag full, not going to lock him up for one tablet

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Another very sad story. But I do hope the police try to find out where he got the illegal drugs from and make an arrest. It doesn't seem right that drug dealers are profiting at this time of immense hardship.

• Confused 2

Strange story. All over Chalong, there are as I can see thousands of bags containing food and bottled water being given away. Long lines of people on the streets, and in public markets. Been going on for many days. Perhaps he needed a bed somewhere... And he must be a very shy individual. Absolutely certain that if someone would knock on just about any door, asking for food, that food would gladly be given. And I do hope that I am not wrong here....

I could easily feed a number of people for a good while...  Wish I knew where and when.

Not much information available in English.

• Like 1

I know how he feels - a bit. I'm currently staying in a small bed and breakfast in the uk. The room is 8 x 7 ft with double bed in the middle. No cooker, no microwave, so not hot food. No garden. No library, and paying all day to sit in a box. It's tempting sometimes to get put in prison to get a larger living space, hot meals, books, more exercise and get it for free  !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It turns out he wants to go home but cant leave and his mother cannot come to get him so now he has no money and no work he was working a an electrician Was just on the Thai TV about him

Yes, and in a starved state he had only one thing on his mind - food. There were no thoughts of anything else, such as consequences etc.

In a starved state he would have been extremely low on energy and his brain function severely compromised. The police officers did not want to take him into custody, but did it to save him from doing harm ie. suicide.

I'll doubt a court will convict him of a drug offense. It's more likely they will facilitate a reunion with his family.

6 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Very sad .......  I wonder why he could not go to a Temple and get food.

Well, supposedly, the dogs are starving at the temples. So I guess he thought..."not much hope for me at the temple."

Edited by UPDEHSOI

6 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

you've missed the point.

People in some european countries that sleep rough do this in the winter to get a warm bed and 3 square meals a day.

This also happens in Canada, but sometimes it's a bit more difficult to so so here. TRUE STORY.....a coupla years ago I was downtown, standing beside my truck talking to two of the "city's finest." They were telling me I should move my pickup, or they would give me a ticket. A young fellow showed up with a bad of "goodies." He showed it to the cops, and asked what they were going to do about it. They told him they would give him AN HOUR to SELL his drugs, or they would haul his ass off to jail. Then they walked away. The young man shrugged his shoulders, looked at me and ambled on up the street. It was really cold, and he wasn't wearing much clothes. I told him, better luck next time...and moved my truck. 

Edited by UPDEHSOI