Why are Thailands numbers low? Its the mask!s

Bonobojt

1 hour ago, rabang said:

Because they do so few tests. If someone thinks of other reason, I have a very cheap tropical island to sell at the coast of Greenland.

I suggest everyone moves there pronto. The numbers are low in Thailand and across South East Asia because of the tropical climate.

True about the low test numbers though. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

The wai and bs figures. Hardly anyone was wearing them when it was spreading enmasse.

The Wai I think is a big factor.  Look at Italy, that got hit hard initially.  The up close and personal greeting of kissing each other on both cheeks, man or woman or child.  the children seem not to have been affected much but no doubt carried the particles on their outside if not in their breaths.   I would have no problem with a Wai type of greeting.  There are only a few people I have a desire to hug and kiss or hold hands with, and it certainly does not include strangers or acquaintances.

• Like 2

Testing has proved successful by South Korea by confinement and tracking. Thailand is still a mystery. Germany massively improved by extensive testing, not mask wearing

With the masks the cotton type masks everyone wears protects others by stopping some virus getting out if coughing or sneezing.

The good quality masks N95 etc allow the cough or sneeze out through the valve so doesn't protect others 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is somewhat of a red flag that the countries with low numbers are also those countries who’s governments are a somewhat totalitarian and dictatorial in nature - do we really trust those figures?

The world stage has deliberately avoided the elephant in the room, in some cases complementing these countries on their low numbers effectively giving the elephant in the room a virtual hand-job. 

Image result for elephant in the room

10 hours ago, Don Chance said:

If there are 100's of thousand of cases of covid in Thailand the hospitals would be flooded. You can't hide that. You wouldn't want to.

20% require hospitalization, 5 % intensive care. 2-5% would be dead. You'd need lots of body bags.

The "20% require hospitalization, 5 % intensive care. 2-5% would be dead" apply, to a large degree, to the very old and the sick. A large percentage of the very old in Thailand are outside the cities, unlike New York for example. Thus, you could have many more infected who are experience the "mild" symptoms version of the infection and recover, which would hardly be noticed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Also strange that Care Homes have not been affected in the manner of Care Homes in UK/Europe.

I get the impression that care homes are much lesson common in Thailand. Even in richer Asian countries like Japan, it is the tradition for the very old to be taken care of in their family home.
Anybody know something about care homes in Thailand?

Edited by chessman

Funny ... just because it's in the news it is suddenly true !

This FAKE PANDEMIC gets more and more funny every day !!!

... the disaster that's coming because of the reactions from Governments is very real though !!!

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it is the stupidest bunch of nonsense that they do not want to wear masks in the US.

Not fashionable is a reason in California.  People are too vain and do not like the look.

Just dumb and actually childish thinking.

But, there are more wearing them more now and many markets/shops are making it mandatory same here.

1 hour ago, chessman said:

I get the impression that care homes are much lesson common in Thailand. Even in richer Asian countries like Japan, it is the tradition for the very old to be taken care of in their family home.
Anybody know something about care homes in Thailand?

I live in Chiang Mai. There are many care homes up here. Last year I had a friend pass away in one. I used to visit him once a week the care and attention he received from the staff was second to none.

I expect that a care home is where I will end up if I stay alive for another 10-15 years , hence my interest.

john

• Like 2

I live in Japan and masks have been a fact of life here for a long time. 

a/ for hay fever season, to block pollen from entering

b/ for cold season, to block coughing/sneezing on others

c/ for shy people who want to psychologically block out the world

d/ for girls who forgot or didn't have time to put on make-up

e/ to ostentatiously show how dedicated you are to your company by turning up to work when sick

f/ simply to keep your face warm

Not sure how effective they are in the case of a virus, especially the non surgical variety. They for sure don't block viruses entering as the size of the virus will enter through any weave or around the edges, or through the eyes, etc. For people who are coughing/sneezing that are too stupid to stay home, they provide some degree of protection for others who are around them.  I would say that, depending on the area, from 50to 80% of people are wearing them. Fewer in outdoor areas, more in shops etc. 

No question that other mitigating factors are far more important- hand washing, social distance in confined areas, and hand discipline (don't touch your face etc.).  Plus previous medical conditions such as drug use, smoking, obesity, diabetes, etc.  Also the weather getting hotter will probably do a lot to kill the virus, as it does with so many others.

No lockdown in Japan, the government doesnt have the power to order it. We are only "asked" or "urged" to reduce social contact by 80% and to take preventative measures. Most businesses are still open, restaurants still serve at the table, etc. Large urban areas are taking more precautions, smaller areas are more relaxed. Universities (mine included) are doing online classes only until the end of May. It's going to pass soon.

• Like 1