The real reason for the low numbers of Covid-19 cases in Thailand and Cambodia?

yuyiinthesky

1 hour ago, Metropolitian said:

Interesting interview. (It's long, but try the first 10 minutes.)

Having gone through 51 minutes of this interview, I must say it is the most balanced, thoughtful review of the situation I have seen to date. It is simply brilliant. After 51 minutes I cannot find one thing this doctor has said that is an overstatement, inaccurate, or biased. He is clearly well versed on the issue, and presents a very coherent understanding of the variables involved. I recommend it to everyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

It could be that the majority of the people, also you and me, we are all already been infected.

The fatality is low, and the calculation would be lower too as whom were already infected and those who became sick and recovered won't get sick from this strain of covid.

The only thing how we can know for sure is testing on anti-bodies.

Interesting interview. (It's long, but try the first 10 minutes.)

Interesting but there are major flaws in the study, detailed in this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/coronavirus-antibody-studies-california-stanford

Why experts are questioning two hyped antibody studies in coronavirus hotspots

Investigations at California universities highlight challenges of research under pressure to provide quick answers

We already knew that official counts reflect a dramatic undercount but the question here is the degree of that.

It would be dangerously premature to accept the conclusions of this scientist as the final word on this matter. Definitely there should be further tests done with more scrutiny (and more accurate tests) going forward. 

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Since the virus is not typically known to survive the heat, I would guess that the summer heat here did not enable it to thrive - but it does exist... 

I agree there is a lot of guessing and I'm guessing that Ecuador in south America and Singapore haven't been help much by similar weather maybe the numbers are getting help from the those that release those numbers.

Countries with high infection rates tend to have high antibody rates (given those antibody tests are accurate). NY state has an antibody rate around 20%, but they also have very high infection rates and death rates. I don't think the virus has been spreading in Thiland and unnoticed, not given the very low infection and death rates here. Even 20% doesn't give her immunity - it needs to be at least 65-70%. There are other factors at work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I agree there is a lot of guessing and I'm guessing that Ecuador in south America and Singapore haven't been help much by similar weather maybe the numbers are getting help from the those that release those numbers.

what makes you think Ecuador is hot? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Barley said:

Guayaquil in Ecuador is incredibly hot, Quito is high in the mountains and has temperate climate.

The equator is going right through Ecuador. 

You are right, it is like Bangkok during the raining season.

I guess we will soon be able to confirm or dismiss the hit weather/UV theory. 

Screenshot_20200428-112207_Google.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's one hypothesis, but the only way to prove it is to basically test a fairly large population sample for coronavirus antibodies. Given an antibody test is costing farangs 8000 baht, not something that will be happening soon.

My alternative hypothesis is there is something about Thailand which is inhibiting transmission, either one factor or a combination. For example, the wai, spicy food, mass BCG immunization, heat, humidity. Durian consumption?

Way off topic, but I've always been fascinated by an unusual phenomenon in my GF's village. I'm Australian, Vegemite to me is as natural as breathing. Nothing can live in Vegemite, it is laden with salt.

Yet in my GF's village, and ONLY there, is an organism that can grow a white mould on Vegemite. I can only have tubes of Vegemite there, an open jar never fails to start growing mould.

Some possibilities

- Lots of visitors from China, but the largest hot spots in China were locked down by the end of January - so even if the border was open, it was closed on the Chinese side (counts for some of it).

- I suspect a lot of the testing for the virus is sold/done by the private hospitals checking to see if someone has Covid-19 -- so they can transfer them over to the public hospital (don't want contaminated people affecting the profitability). 

- The majority of Thais live without AC in ventilated / fan accommodations (cheaper).  Ventilated areas will cause the virus to have a shorter half-life (something that was identified back in the Spanish Flu area when they found the emergency tent accomodations had better numbers.

- If a person gets it in rural Thailand, they are more likely to suffer it in private and die in private (without testing) since right now there is a stigma with being infected (face). 

- In areas outside of Bangkok and major metropolitan areas, people spend less time in malls and more time outdoors.  The UV radiation and ventilation will significantly reduce the half-life on surfaces... which should help reduce the R0 (infection rate) ... which could reduce the growth rate of the virus.  This would allow lesser changes in behaviour to bring the virus under control. 

- As many people are exposed to sufficient sunlight year around they should not be deficient in vitamin D - which helps the immune system and may reduce the severity of cases.  (on the other side hidden morbidities are actually quite high in Thailand).

- Diet is heavy in citrus, which means probably most Thais would not be Vitamin C deficient (another immunity nutrient)

- Diet which includes the consumption of raw garlic (Som Tam) - is also another significant immunity booster.  It is also an antibiotic which can reduce the likelihood of secondary infections causing some more severe cases. 

- Under reporting (while doing tracking and tracing) which would reduce the visibility of the infection - while also fighting the spread.  I think I have seen Khon Kaen have case #5 in March, then a few weeks ago they had another case #5.

• Thanks 1

After reading your theory there’s not enough evidence if you have the virus then You can’t catch it again Maybe it’s a different type of virus and the flu virus time will tell Not enough test here to prove your logic either way TAT

• Like 1

To add to why not so many infections in Thailand and Cambodia, as you travel around both countries you will have noticed that most Chinese tourists come in groups, they stay together in hotels, buses, boats, shops etc and do not really mix with the locals at all, so I assume if there was much transmission it was amongst themselves + the tour guide, the bus driver and the hotel/restaurant staff but not the general population unlike tourists from other countries. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kinnock said:

First confirmed case as reported in The Lancet was 1 December - so it had been circulating in Wuhan during November. 

Do you have a reference to that claim. The man that is said to have started the ball rolling didn't do so until the latter part of December.

The second article is date 7th Jan and indicates several Asian countries had already started to screen arrivals.

“A new coronavirus infection has been confirmed and its type is being identified. Inform all family and relatives to be on guard,” Li Wenliang typed into a chat group with his former medical school classmates on Dec. 30, according to Caixin, a Beijing-based media group. Soon, Li’s message would resonate much farther. As the spiraling crisis emerged, he came to be known as the whistleblower of a virus that ultimately took his life.

https://time.com/5779678/li-wenliang-coronavirus-china-doctor-death/

If not SARS, then what is it?

According to the Wuhan health commission, the infection broke out between December 12 and December 29, with some of the patients employed at a seafood market in the city.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's one hypothesis, but the only way to prove it is to basically test a fairly large population sample for coronavirus antibodies. Given an antibody test is costing farangs 8000 baht, not something that will be happening soon.

Are such antibody tests available in Thailand or Cambodia?