Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Reclining seat on a flight

Sundown

I’ve been fortunate of the years to fly 1-1/2 million miles for business not in business class although if route allows Someworld one members to avoid international travel with Aa and choose a few of the APAC carriers it’s a much better experience... 

Their Fly the Freindly skies eventually became fly the older skies...

Long flights 14-16 hours can wear on some people... and yes as I’ve 

now moved to the older bracket in life can get grumpy...

Once was no longer able to go with a International carrier on Aa

flight.. Long Flights I have one glass red wine with dinner a water

and luckily can sleep all the way until they wake you up for last meal of flight, 

aA ordered a red wine and I think the crew member said $12 USD

and I politely asked really.. most International carriers it’s no charge..not for sake of argument I’d pay if I had to.. She came back 

and said complimentary... and because of the Someworld diamond ..? 

Ok of subject ... in coach before I reclined the seat give a look back 

make sure that not going to bust someone’s kneecaps... if there smaller in statue maybe all the way back.. if not halfway... it’s reasonable... 

if someone slammed a seat back on you you would not be happy..

compromise is ok... flying in a cigar tube... 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

the rules are vague and ambiguous.  I have been on flights where an 8 year old was allowed to run around and bump into everybody that was sitting on an aisle row.  Stewardesses did nothing.

Part of the charm of flying economy, the kids gambolling with abandon in the aisles.  

Not the primary reason, but one of the considerations why I only fly business class. Why? Because you don't come across the trailer-trash that frequents economy class. 

Pay the extra and you'll never regret it ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Not the primary reason, but one of the considerations why I only fly business class. Why? Because you don't come across the trailer-trash that frequents economy class. 

Erm, you do come across trailer trash in business, just not so frequently.  

7 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Erm, you do come across trailer trash in business, just not so frequently.  

And the only reason it's not as frequent is because there are fewer people. As a percentage, I'm guessing the numbers are similar.

Of course, everyone that has actually flown business knows this, and people that associate class with money typically have neither...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wavel said:

Sundown, it's plain to see that your not a frequent traveler. I commute from from Bangkok to London, thats 11 return flights each year. So there is nothing i dislike more than to be sat in front of inconciderate passengers like you & your family. I don't suppose the passengers in front of you had their seats back, now you've more room than the poor people behind you.  This is 2020 & the "Golden Era of Flying" was about 40 yrs ago. I don't suppose it ever entered your mind that some body behind you might want to read a book, or catch up with work on their laptop. But cannot because of your lack of respect for fellow passengers. Stop moaning sunshine "your Bang out of order".

Ok, you fly more than me (??) but it seems like you don't know a lot about airlines' rules.

You can dislike it, it's your right to do so but you don't have the right to complain disturbing who is in front of you. When you buy a ticket in economy class you accept the rules of the airline included the legroom available and the chance that someone could recline the seat in front of you. Like it, buy the ticket. Don't like it, don't buy it. Buy the ticket and don't like it? Then don't disturb other people or face the consequences. (The guy behind me has been warned 2 times from the crew and if the captain got involved he could have faced arrest at arrival)

You want more space, buy a business class ticket, or a private plane ticket.

I'm 185cm tall and I have no issues reading a book, or working on a laptop if someone is reclined in front of me(I regularly fly Etihad/Emirates/Qatar/Singapore) on a long haul flight plane like 787 777 and a350. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StevieAus said:

In relation to your last sentence I wonder whether you have ever flown business class ?

The airlines I fly with have fully flat bed seats that are staggered so that  you are not directly next to another passenger and a wide choice of food, wines etc at a time when I want it.

“ Marginally more comfortable or slightly better” far from it.

In fairness, I haven't flown business in 10+ years.  Ever since it started coming out of my pocket instead of the company dime.  Back then on US, Chinese, and Korean airlines (mostly to China, via Japan and Korea), business just meant 2 seats across instead of 3.  And I don't recall any memorable gourmet meals.  Sure, they were better than coach meals.   But I'd never return to a restaurant that served that food to me.

15 hours ago, tifino said:

that didn't last long... Do It and you will be booted off the flight (after the next landing) 

It was an instant road rage analogy in the making... 

Its funny how attitudes change these wedges were openly sold and used 30 years ago

As you say people would not stand for it now.

But how many of these same people bought them.

It is interesting how much great the percentage of people that fly business on the internet is that the percentage of people that fly business on the the aircraft...

I flew Eva to the US (LAX) earlier this year with my wife and boy. Coach tickets were under $700, premium were just at $2,000 and business was right at $4,000, so it would have costed $3,900 more to fly premium, and $9,900 more to fly business.

To put this in perspective, we had booked a 7-day western Caribbean cruise, and the total cost for booking three of us in a "Grand Suite" was $4,656.

Sitting three across in the center with my family just isn't that bad, particularly when flying business would have cost us an additional $500 an hour. 

It also surprises me how many more tough guys there are on the internet than there seems to be in real life, but I won't get started on that.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The only reason, obviously enough for most people, that seats are bolt upright for taking off and landing, is that it is easier to get in and out, thus safer."

Totally wrong! The reason seats have to be in the upright (locked) position for t/o and landing is that should there be a. crash landing the seats will not collapse!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, anon7854 said:

Classic Americans. Butthurt , insecure and thinking the entire world trumbles when they hear "but we're American citizens". 

I really don't understand what the heck is this "reclining seat" theory all about. It's a feature most airplanes have , you can use it. Period. The lack of space for the ones behind you is not your problem and can be easily resolved if they do the same. If they don't tough luck. I never heard anyone behind me ever complaining about that. 

The 'me first' syndrome? No consideration for others.????

• Sad 1

Reminds me of the time when a dude placed a seat reclining lock (see pic) on the lady’s seat in front of him. 

From memory the lady wasn’t impressed, threw the contents of her drink container all over him, the flight was diverted to nearest airport, both arrested. 

And yep, happened on a US domestic flight. 

2D07F935-BEF7-4098-8CBB-7C6EB86DF895.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, eyup said:

"The only reason, obviously enough for most people, that seats are bolt upright for taking off and landing, is that it is easier to get in and out, thus safer."

Totally wrong! The reason seats have to be in the upright (locked) position for t/o and landing is that should there be a. crash landing the seats will not collapse!

Yes, your response is totally wrong..........

https://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8400.10 Air Transp Ops Insp Handbk/Volume 3. AIR OPERATOR TECHNICAL ADMINISTRATION/Vol 3-Chap 16-Sec 3.htm

7 hours ago, eyup said:

You are wrong.

"// Administration set the upright seat rule for two main reasons: it makes it easier to evacuate the plane in the case of an emergency and it can help limit injuries."

From Google, or here.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

You are wrong.

"// Administration set the upright seat rule for two main reasons: it makes it easier to evacuate the plane in the case of an emergency and it can help limit injuries."

From Google, or here.

I am not wrong. I own up to being guilty ! (I have a slight bit of inside knowledge) I was a flight attendant for 25 years.

So, to  elaborate on your article 

"There are two main reasons why flight attendants pester people to keep those seats up—to keep injuries to a minimum during a crash and to clear the maximum amount of space for a quick exit.

The science is pretty basic, as explained by Brian Manning, a flight attendant for Mesa Airlines. "When the seat is up, it is locked. When the seat is back, it's not locked. In the event of an emergency, an unlocked seat has more force during impact, and the thrusting forward of that seat can cause passenger injury."

Like a catapult, the farther back the seat, the greater distance your head would travel during an impact, and the more force would be generated. Those three inches can add to the whiplash effect".

Which is also the reason seats near or by an emergency exit (usually overwing). are locked and do not have. a recline facility.

Edited by eyup
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:59 PM, impulse said:

You may have been perfectly within your rights to recline the seat, but the airlines have made that pretty miserable for the people behind you over the last 20 years.  Seat pitches have gotten ridiculous, to the point that anyone taller than average is going to have their knees driven into the seat in front even when it's not reclined.

Before I started traveling international, I never even thought before reclining my seat.  So in my experience, Americans are no worse than the typical western traveler in demanding rights that they don't have. 

Of course, the family behind could have ponied up a few hundred extra $$$ for economy plus seating, where there's a few more inches of legroom.  Or business class where they could spend an additional $100 per hour to sit in a marginally more comfortable seat with slightly better (but still airline quality) meals.

I'm 6' 2" and yes in most standard economy seating configurations my knees are driven in to the seat in front and a fully reclined seat in front leaves me trapped unless I have an aisle seat. A safety issue? So yes, I pay more, much more, to travel business with flatbed seat. Economy plus is just about bearable if I can't afford business.. in my opinion economy plus should be the basic configuration. What is called standard economy at the moment is, frankly, truly cattle class on longhaul flights. Perhaps Covid will produce this result! 

First thing I do when I get to my seat is to take all the airline magazines etc out of the pocket and put them up above.  Gives a couple of inches extra legroom, useful when person in front does recline

• Haha 1

I'm 6'2" and I think economy on Eva's B777 service BKK-TPE-LAX is not that bad.

I do miss United's service at BKK, the B787 service to LAX was great, and a gold card automatically let you book into premium economy for economy price...

Don't miss it as much as the TG nonstop BKK-LAX back when I was flying business on the company nickel...

Once i was on an Emirates flight in the A380...i reclined my chair and suddenly the airhostess came to me and asked if i would move it straight up again because the passenger behind me had complained to her..i told her that i wouldn't do it, only during dinners. The Thai boy behind me was angry and asked her for another chair, which he got...He wasn't fat at all so i don't understand why he had to ask about it.

• Like 1

I'm 6'4" and coach class travel isn't fun. I find that most Asians, even the short, skinny ones that have more than enough space already, like to slam their seat back into full recline as soon as they can.

Rant over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I'm 6'4" and coach class travel isn't fun. I find that most Asians, even the short, skinny ones that have more than enough space already, like to slam their seat back into full recline as soon as they can.

Rant over.

Thanks I thought it was just me who felt that way

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Don't miss it as much as the TG nonstop BKK-LAX back when I was flying business on the company nickel...

Even coach on those A340-600's was luxurious as the plane needed so much fuel (4-burner), they could only take maybe 70% passenger load tops and even the coach seat pitch was around 36".

The downside was LAX.