A new PC desktop for my home.

OneeyedJohn

30 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

rufus-asking-for-powershell.png

I already downloaded it, 5 files I think, but this rufus thing is asking again for it, dunna wot to do, like I say going round in bleeding circles.

If installing Win10 is gonna be like this then I'll just get the shop to do it.

Don't make a drama out of it. Clearly you created the 2004 version without issue. This is third party software, nothing to do with Windows 10. In fact it is because of your installation of Windows 7. Windows 10 is even easier to install than Windows 7.

Anyway, you have the alternative method in your inbox.

Edited by Eindhoven

Just now, OneeyedJohn said:

I will as soon as I have watched ur video, I will give it another go.

I know it is my fault, so please don't lose patience with me, I am trying my best.

I won't lose patience, as long as you don't give up. ????

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I am buying the SSD from the local KVC, a 256 GB at 1300 baht, don't know the make / brand.

Buying but not yet bought? I honestly have no idea as to what it is that you are doing. I thought that we were waiting on the delivery. Have no idea as to what KVC might mean.

https://www.advice.co.th/product/solid-state-drive-ssd-/ssd-sata-2-5-256-gb/250-gb-ssd-sata-wd-blue-wds250g2b0a-3d-nand falls within your stated price.

Though perhaps you look at this? https://www.advice.co.th/product/solid-state-drive-ssd-/ssd-sata-2-5-256-gb/256-gb-ssd-sata-kingston-c600-skc600-256g-

KVC is I think a computer shop retailer and repair chain like Charoen is a retail chain for spectacles.

I am waiting for the CPU to arrive in order that when it does arrive I can trot along to KVC, buy an SSD and have them install both items.

Then on your advice I come home and do a clean install of Win10.

If I have that wrong then please tell me.

4 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

KVC is I think a computer shop retailer and repair chain like Charoen is a retail chain for spectacles.

I am waiting for the CPU to arrive in order that when it does arrive I can trot along to KVC, buy an SSD and have them install both items.

Then on your advice I come home and do a clean install of Win10.

If I have that wrong then please tell me.

Perhaps forgot that you ordered the CPU and from China. So we''ll wait. No worries.

16 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I am waiting for the CPU to arrive

Did you remember to ask your tech about a new cooler for the new CPU?

Your old Sempron runs at 45W, your new FX-4300 will run at 95W.

2020-08-10-15-00-34.jpg

This is the status of my order already paid for $22.00, when will it change if ever.

So should I not bother and re-order from Lazada and hopefully a Thai source

2020-08-10-15-35-49.jpg

Of course it used and in good condition, but what else can they say, it is like saying here's my brain, used but in good condition, how can anyone possibly know what bleeeding condition it is in. Do I throw my money away and re-order?

Edited by OneeyedJohn

12 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

2020-08-10-15-00-34.jpg

This is the status of my order already paid for $22.00, when will it change if ever.

2020-08-10-15-35-49.jpg

Of course it used and in good condition, but what else can they say, it is like saying here's my brain, used but in good condition, how can anyone possibly know what bleeeding condition it is in. Do I throw my money away and re-order?

You need to make that decision. If you will wait or instead be prepared to scrap the initial purchase cost.. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

2020-08-10-15-00-34.jpg

2020-08-10-15-35-49.jpg

Well, you already had the choice of ordering locally if you were going FX-4300.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:58 PM, lopburi3 said:

Lazada and AliExpress are the same owner and have often found the Lazada products higher priced (but delivery even if from China is often much faster).

Shopee has that AMD fx-4300 locally at 790 baht from what seems to be a reliable seller (25 months on platform with 100% response rate).

https://shopee.co.th/Cpu-FX-4300-3.8-Ghz-มือสอง-รับประกัน-15-วัน-i.75004460.6242691402

You had no reason to use Aliexpress except to buy an FX-6300, overpriced in Thailand. Still, you perversely chose do so anyway.

Now you need to man up and wait the wait. You've had that old Sempron for many years. A month more ain't gon' kill you. Might clean & tune up your Win 7 in the meantime.  Run CCleaner, do some of this: https://www.wikihow.com/Optimize-Windows-7

Tracking an item from Aliexpress becomes unreliable after it arrives in Thailand, notably in these COVID days. You might get your CPU tomorrow or a month from now. The price & type of item here suggest sooner rather than later, however. It will surely arrive, and you don't really need a spare CPU. This CPU is also used, BTW. It isn't a Black edition, so it wasn't overclocked. It'll be fine. 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:15 PM, BigStar said:

Depends, OP, on how much want to spend for what. The "much better" here is actually just another old used computer, and you have all of those used parts already except a faster CPU. In the real world you probably would not notice much difference, if any, between an I3-4130 and an X4 945. Average bench 62.4% vs 57%.

On the contrary, the reality is that a CPU upgrade might well be possible and if so would make a difference as they are not all poor. Eindhoven has no idea as usual as he doesn't know what motherboard you have and doesn't want to know, or about X4s. ???? In fact, if you compare Eindhoven's lowly E8400, which he touts as quite capable and enough for your simple needs:

2020-07-25_071043_www.cpubenchmark_net.png.49c2a18fbe107f3089de3cf64612b07d.png

with a 600 baht X4, you see that the X4 is twice gooder for your simple needs. ???? So, yes, that would make a big difference.

image.png.02d1c41b995b48534d59378539e0bc36.png

Dell, BTW, sometimes has proprietary this & that (not always) that may need to be dealt with when upgrades and repairs arise.

OP, we'd know more if you'd give all the specs of your current machine.

If the CPU upgrade looks possible, you just take the new CPU, SSD, your Windows key, and your box to a reputable computer shop and they handle everything. They can install a new CPU cooler or you can buy one on your own, not expensive. They build computers all the time, so no big deal. Take it home and configure the software however you'd like.

Re: Win 10 installation, you can tell the shop you just want bare bones Windows Pro, no extras of any kind. No need for all the paranoia you typically find here.

BTW, I don't have a horse in this race. To me, a 40,000 baht computer sounds great if you've got the dosh. We'd have no problem here spending that amount for you.

I just suggest that if the Sempron upgrade is possible, as it likely is, then it's the cheapest way to go and maintains a lot of your old investment. I did something of the same more than a year ago when I ran across a fantastic deal on an FX-8350 CPU and used it, with an SSD, to upgrade a spare computer I had sitting around with perfectly good old parts. (Pro tip: pay more for quality if you want stuff that lasts.) It's really quite nice now and a worthy backup for my main box. ????

When I last built my PC the brand New newest was a FX-8350 CPU all these years later still running fine, bought a new case a around 3 years ago + a SSD..  Do have 16 GB Ram adding the SSD = boot time somewhere between 26 - 35 seconds.. The case cost as much as most people are suggesting for a Full PC  !!!   but there again keeps things cool....  Full Tower with 11 Case Fans...  notice you can still buy the case @ 8,499 baht

Guess if I ever build another will be a smaller case with Liquid cooling on a Ryzen 5 - 3600...  but that means a new B550 Motherboard + New DDR Ram, just don't see the point at this moment as present PC may outlive me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

When I last built my PC the brand New newest was a FX-8350 CPU all these years later still running fine, bought a new case a around 3 years ago + a SSD..  Do have 16 GB Ram adding the SSD = boot time somewhere between 26 - 35 seconds.. The case cost as much as most people are suggesting for a Full PC  !!!   but there again keeps things cool....  Full Tower with 11 Case Fans...  notice you can still buy the case @ 8,499 baht

Guess if I ever build another will be a smaller case with Liquid cooling on a Ryzen 5 - 3600...  but that means a new B550 Motherboard + New DDR Ram, just don't see the point at this moment as present PC may outlive me.

Great post, consistent w/ my own experience. I even have the same plan minus the liquid cooling. I'm a big believer as well in a quality case (and PSU), so my FX-8350 and SSD are resting proudly a black aluminum Lian Li that's every bit as fine as it was 11 years ago. Been thru several builds . . . .

On 8/13/2020 at 10:48 AM, ignis said:

Given 100Mbs download speed is a common internet package around the world these days, is computer processing power now at a level where 100Mbs download speed is the bottle neck?

I mean, if the newest and fastest processor is cable of processing, say 500Mbs, but your ISP can only send down your line 100Mbs, would it not be a waste of money, unless you work on you computer with some software that requires a lot of resources?

I have heard of 1Gbs download speeds, but to my knowledge, I have never used one, and if I did, with a Core i7 processor, if I did a speed test, what could I expect the results to show?    

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Given 100Mbs download speed is a common internet package around the world these days, is computer processing power now at a level where 100Mbs download speed is the bottle neck?

I mean, if the newest and fastest processor is cable of processing, say 500Mbs, but your ISP can only send down your line 100Mbs, would it not be a waste of money, unless you work on you computer with some software that requires a lot of resources?

I have heard of 1Gbs download speeds, but to my knowledge, I have never used one, and if I did, with a Core i7 processor, if I did a speed test, what could I expect the results to show?    

With any semi-capable PC, you should expect to get over 900 Mbps real-world speeds. 

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

The download speed, as shown on Speedtest, is NOT dependant on the CPU in my experience.

I have a NUC with a Celeron and a PC with an i7 but both show over 900Gb/s on a 3BB IGb/sec router.

But of course, that's 1Gb/s INSIDE THAILAND, anywhere outside.....as Elvis sang.........WAY ON DOWN !

28 minutes ago, stouricks said:

But of course, that's 1Gb/s INSIDE THAILAND, anywhere outside.....as Elvis sang.........WAY ON DOWN !

Ah yes, so pleased you mentioned that as I thought it was a problem with my set up on 3BB.

Have only got the old wired connection which is supposed to give around 35Mbps, but problems trying to connect to iPlayer when the download speed drops to around 300Kbps!!!