Beach road is dead, for now anyway

scubascuba3

Strange thing. Here in Central Pattaya pretty much all of the bars that had no customers before Corona are still open and without any customers. Does anyone know their real purpose? And there are even some new bars without any customers and they seem to be happy. Perhaps some bar owners know the scene and have an explanation. There was a discussion about money laundering. But is it really this or something else? 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

45k/mn instead of 135k/mn

Also had options for places that were 80k a month that dropped to 10k.  Brand new condos.  villas that were over 120k HUGE, at around 40k offered. 

Edited by Dart12

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

Also had options for places that were 80k a month that dropped to 10k.  Brand new condos.  villas that were over 120k HUGE, at around 40k offered. 

Are there beachfront villas here? I usually stay beachfront. But there isn't really much beachfront in Central Pattaya. 

Unless you count living across the road from the beach as beachfront.

Unless I can hear the sea and feel the sea breeze, it isn't beachfront, but sea view.

The only beachfront in Central Pattaya is at either end. From Dusit going north and from Walking Street going south.

That being said, I have stayed in large low rise apartments(150 to 200 sq.m.) on the beach road. High rise is nonsense, as it's just a sea view, not beachfront.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

Strange thing. Here in Central Pattaya pretty much all of the bars that had no customers before Corona are still open and without any customers. Does anyone know their real purpose? And there are even some new bars without any customers and they seem to be happy. Perhaps some bar owners know the scene and have an explanation. There was a discussion about money laundering. But is it really this or something else? 

I don't know if it's still relevant

but in the past it was often the foreign husband or boyfriend

''buying'' a bar for teelak, keeping her busy in her ''natural environment''

months after months the poor guys ended giving money to wipe the endless

losses, but at least he was able to brag to his friends ''i have a bar in Pattaya'' 

pretending living The Life, that was a major part of the dream.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Good point.... at the beginning of it they are far from qualifying!

lol so true

i have brought back several times at night something looking like a beautiful princess to my room

only to discover in horror in the morning that i had in fact a gremlins in the bed. 

12 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

lol so true

i have brought back several times at night something looking like a beautiful princess to my room

only to discover in horror in the morning that i had in fact a gremlins in the bed. 

Is that what the princess said ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Are there beachfront villas here? I usually stay beachfront. But there isn't really much beachfront in Central Pattaya. 

Unless you count living across the road from the beach as beachfront.

Unless I can hear the sea and feel the sea breeze, it isn't beachfront, but sea view.

The only beachfront in Central Pattaya is at either end. From Dusit going north and from Walking Street going south.

That being said, I have stayed in large low rise apartments(150 to 200 sq.m.) on the beach road. High rise is nonsense, as it's just a sea view, not beachfront.

yeah. I don't know of any villas on the beach. I was talking about deals that were offered to me when we were looking for a place to stay.

I was liberal with the term beach front, as the road is between us and the beach in Central Pattaya.  So seaview would be more apt.

Where were those size apartments?  and were they newer?  I saw nothing like that in my searches for furnished condos/villas.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Only the homeless, 1 with mental issues did offer a short time. Apparently night time desolated too

Mostly they seem to have moved to Buakhao. Especially the katoeys.

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Wouldn't mind the name of these condos that have dropped to 10k monthly. 

• Like 1

It's not just Beach Road...it's every street in Pattaya City west of Sukhumvit, 50-60% of businesses are closed (either temporarily or permanent we don't know). Only the bigger national and international brand restos, hotels, and other service businesses and stores are open...almost all small independents are closed. East Pattaya is mostly open for business as stores and restos are geared to local Thais and permanent expat residents (not tourists).

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
spelling
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

lol so true

Don't keep them all night, and you won't have that problem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, champers said:

Late afternoon influx of Thais today. 3 coachloads unloaded at Sandalay hotel and looks like A One had 2 loads as well. After checking in and taking a stroll on the beach they gave a welcome boost to deckchair operators who went from a handful of customers to being full. I think they might be health workers; a lot of middle aged ladies and just a few fellas. I very much hope they enjoy themselves. 

Similar influx last Sunday. They provide more business at weekends than the rest of the week put together.

That's pretty much how Hua Hin was last month.  There were more folks on the beach Saturday afternoon, than the rest of the week combined.  The only thing steady was the flow of roaches at the food court.  You may have encountered a school group, especially if there were zero kids with them.

On 8/21/2020 at 6:35 PM, Pilotman said:

Can't say I'm too bothered about that, although I don't know how they are going to do that.  They have so many ways to monitor what an individual is doing nowadays,  that a few more won't make much of a difference, unless you have something to hide of course.   

Throughout history complacency has proven to have dire consequences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy from Kent said:

Throughout history complacency has proven to have dire consequences.

Try "living off the grid" and let me know how you go.

Difficult, not impossible, but a whole new lifestyle.   

Basically, nothing in your name. Eg. electric bill. 

No ATM's.  No mobile phone.  No contact with friends and family.  No passport.  No licence.  Etc. Etc. Burn them all, and disappear into the community.  

Without doing that, even Google know where you are.  

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Try "living off the grid" and let me know how you go.

Difficult, not impossible, but a whole new lifestyle.   

Basically, nothing in your name. Eg. electric bill. 

No ATM's.  No mobile phone.  No contact with friends and family.  No passport.  No licence.  Etc. Etc. Burn them all, and disappear into the community.  

Without doing that, even Google know where you are.  

Fairly east actually, no need for a bank account or ATM card in your own name.

Same with a SIM. my SIM is in my step-daughters name.

Facebook account restricted to a few family members, friends and family only.

No need to open a Google account in your own name either.

Most Thais don't have D/L or passport and seem to do OK, police stops prefer to see 200bht.

I've had almost nothing in my own name for years now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, champers said:

Beer goggles syndrome. We have all been there.

One of my favourite artists reminding me of my days living in Texas

Never were lyrics truer ????

I went to Pattaya for my 90 day report on Friday & Pattaya beach all the way down to walking street was like a morgue. Even traffic was next to nil. I don't know how the bar or restaurant owners can possible survive the high rents & no patrons. I only saw 4 people on walking street at 1pm . Pretty sad....But much better than having Covid overload like the irresponsible countries(U.S. In general thanks to Trump)