EU won't accept Britain going back on Brexit deal, Germany's Roth says - magazine

snoop1130

29 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I dont believe he is arguing about whether the UK has left or not.

He is simply stating that the UK should abide by the agreement they made when it left. The one Johnson claimed was an oven ready deal. In fact he was claiming it was a great deal, a fantastic deal, just after he signed it. 

Yeah frankly I don't care, the EU can move the goal posts, so the UK can too.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1341209/Brexit-news-talks-final-round-David-frost-michel-barnier-brexit-deal

EU caves in: UK secures huge negotiating victory as Brussels FINALLY blinks - talks today

BRUSSELS has finally caved in on its Brexit demands ahead of the final round of talks between the two sides this week.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

But the EU did not move the goalposts. The EU operated within the agreement that Johnson signed.

But not in the spirit of that agreement. I don't know why they bother including the words good faith in their one-way WAs.

• Sad 1

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1341894/Brexit-news-UK-EU-fishing-deal-trade-talks-latest-Michel-Barnier-David-Frost-update

Time to end 40 years of hurt! Scottish fishermen celebrate as Brexit victory 'in sight'

BORIS Johnson must remain steadfast and right the wrongs of the misery piled on British coastal communities from more than 40 years of EU rule, Scotland's fishing industry has insiste.

PUBLISHED: 14:11, Wed, Sep 30, 2020 | UPDATED: 14:20, Wed, Sep 30, 2020
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

They said there wouldn't be a trade deal until the withdrawal agreement with the 39 billion was signed. After that they introduced more stipulations like the level playing field, ECJ, etc. as a prerequisite to a trade deal.

If we agree to that there will be something else. My guess is 10 billion a year.

We should have left prior to the withdrawal agreement with no deal. I said that ages ago. The EU are a bunch of spivs that cannot be trusted and it's time to cut off these bell ends. It seems the uk government has finally grown a pair since May and Robbins were ejected. Screw Barnier and his corrupt club. We're out.

Agree. The EU have moved the goalposts around so often since the referendum that it's no wonder nobody can score! Almost everything has been done according to their demands (thanks a lot Theresa) and now the kowtowing has finished the Eurofeathers are being spat out at twice the normal rate - probably from that oven ready gobbler of a deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I think I have already explained why it is essentially an internal matter. To refresh the argument, I will quote the relevant paragraph:

"

The truth is that the EU overreached itself by interpreting the clauses relevant to Northern Ireland, in the Withdrawal agreement, as allowing them to take measures to control internal trade within the UK (movement of foodstuffs between mainland Britain and Northern Ireland). They then let it be known that they were considering using such powers a sanctions to give them leverage in negotiating more favourable ( to them) agreement in the post withdrawal trade agreement talks. The UK government found that was unacceptable, and introduced the Internal Markets Bill to foil that plan. The EU's proposed sanctions on internal trade would, if considered by any robust and independent supra national jurisdiction, would almost certainly be considered in breach of The Withdrawal Agreement anyway."

Not only does that establish that it is an internal matter. It also very likely will also be the view of the WTO on the matter, and will colour their response to any tariff barriers which the EU may erect as sanctions. The same is true for any other nations with which we may trade in the future.

The EU courts. acting as the patsy of the EU itself, may rule as they like. We are no longer subject to their jurisdiction. Any sanctions which they may apply will simply be viewed by the rest of the world as EU punitive trade sanctions.

Mr Biden may take a dim view of it, but Mr Biden, if elected ( I hope he is), will have an awful lot on his plate without moving to unilaterally break WTO rules by imposing trade sanctions on behalf of a third party!

As for the Scottish Government being poised to take Westminster to court, well the Withdrawal Agreement, and the dispute which has led to the Internal Market Bill are firmly outside the competencies devolved to The Scottish Government. Scotland is (whether you think it should be or not) an integral part of the UK. It is fully represented (if not over represented) at Westminster. If the bill passes it is on that point which the Scottish Governments court case (if it happens) will founder. Threats to take Westminster to court are merely posturing!

Unfortunately we may have to break international law twice to avoid a trip to Strasbourg, because, if I remember correctly, any disputes involving the terms and provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement have to be settled by the ECJ. I think that this is written into the WA itself. What an amazing piece of work! It's so easy to see that the WA was mainly written by the EU, with very little input from the UK - I think that this is a main reason that Davis quit, apart from his being kept out of most of the real negotiations, which were totally fouled up by May and Robbins.

The WA is terrible for the UK - better not to have signed it at all - as we can all see now!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

But the EU did not move the goalposts. The EU operated within the agreement that Johnson signed.

Get over it why don't you UK is out of the club there's no rules in war or business.

Your a remainer Scot I take it.

• Like 2