Something i have never encountered before.

CharlieH

I had the same problem on my 12year old Vigo. It became more and more noticeable, and I convinced myself it was transmission whine. Took it to the dealers, after a test drove they said nothing wrong!

My Bridgestones were getting a bit bald, and I changed them for Maxxis. Problem went away!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Susco said:

I thought the minimum life expectancy for a car tire was 5 years, but I google gives several sources that say 10 year, so 3.5 year is pretty bad to turn hard

Google sources say a lot of things.

The fact is that here the sun shines a lot and it gets quite hot. After three years the rubber on your tyres will be a lot harder. Same as whatever you ‘polish’ your car paintwork with, doesn’t last as long as if you were in a cooler part of the world. Also car upholstery suffers more.

Sure many here make their tyres last 5 years,7years or even longer.  

However, after three years because the rubber is now much harder than when new, the tyres will be less flexible, they may generate more road noise, will definitely give a harsher ride and performance will be impaired i.e. your car will not stop as quick as when the tyres were new, or corner as well.

There is a lot of sense in changing after about three years, although the cost factors into the decision. There again if emergency braking and if your car would have stopped a yard or two earlier, on newer tyres, you may have saved yourself a lot of expense or even some one’s life …..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Muzzique said:

You should rotate your 4 tyres regularly to prevent this and this will even out the wear. Check your tracking too.

I rotate them every 5000 miles at the same time as my oil change. Your garage can do this in about 10 mins.

I include my spare in the rotation so it has the same wear as the others but that is optional. Don't include it if you have directional tyres.

Make sure if you are using directional tyres you only swap back to front and not left to right.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-rotate-your-car-tires/

old men tale...

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The car is 3.5 yrs old with 33,000km on the clock.

The rubber more easily gets hard here, I've read, than in colder areas, but 3½ years and 33k kilometers seems a bit in the low end; my tires use to last about 5 years and around 45k kilometers before they need to be changed.

However, I've experienced that even a small stone sitting in tread on a tire, can make an awful lot of noise...????

I bought 2 maxxis tyres and had them fitted to the rear of my Isuzu pick up. After about 2000K I got a tread separation on one tyre as if it was a retread and on inspection of the mate on the opposite side I found cracks in the tread ready to separate. I contacted Maxxis as these were new tyres and the cases were examined and it was found that the tyres were over 4 years old and had been sitting at the tyre dealers without him rotating his stock of tyres.

PIC_0496.JPG

PIC_0495.JPG

PIC_0499.JPG

I bought a Toyota Vigo in 2008. The tires did 150K and still had plenty of tread on them over 9 years. The wife kept complaining that her brother had told her the tires were too old and were dangerous. I said '<deleted>' and carried on driving. Then she refused to get in the car at all...she solved the problem by having a new set of tyres put on while I was away fishing.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Having the tires rebalanced took care of a similar problem on my fortuner.

much cheaper than new tires.

Yep, an out of balance tyre can cause noise at the rear as the engineering has to deal with it, on the front we all know what an out of balance tyre can do via the steering, shake rattle and roll...... ????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

f you havnt guessed by now it was the tyres.

I'd already guessed as it has happened to me on two trucks both around 70k. The last time also the front wheel bearings needed replacing. (RWD)

On 11/4/2020 at 4:08 PM, CharlieH said:

No not by any means, and as I said there was plenty of tread still on them. My guess and it is only a guess is the car wasnt used enough and stood still for long periods had an effect, but thats just speculation. The brand supplied by Honda in this instance was Goodyear.

I think you are correct. Just like condoms tires are made from rubber and should be used on a regular base.. lol

3 hours ago, transam said:

Yep, an out of balance tyre can cause noise at the rear as the engineering has to deal with it, on the front we all know what an out of balance tyre can do via the steering, shake rattle and roll...... ????

If the rear has to deal with it.........lol

2 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

If the rear has to deal with it.........lol

Yes, what happens when a ceiling fan goes out of balance, the hole thing shakes, on a car it cannot do that on the rear, it's a solid assembly, and noise "can" be the result. I have the T-shirt for it...LoL.....

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, what happens when a ceiling fan goes out of balance, the hole thing shakes, on a car it cannot do that on the rear, it's a solid assembly, and noise "can" be the result. I have the T-shirt for it...LoL.....

Correct, but the above mentioned fan is also structurally connected to the ceiling... The result can be far worse than noise.. and no more T-shirt to prove it....lol  

Normal maintenance, you're supposed to rotate your tires according to manufacturer's instructions. I think it's usually every 8,000 miles. They taught this stuff in high school back in the '50s, along with Driver Training.