Thailand reports biggest coronavirus surge, over 500 cases - Samut Sakhon placed in to lockdown

Jonathan Fairfield

11 minutes ago, bestie said:

People are strongly believe and flush it goes away.  excuse me that I'm using the word here again but that's the "new normal" that they talking about. Or do you really believe there will be a back to the old world one day? Not without covid. Do you think that the whole world get vaccinate and especially the poor people will get their vaccine shot regularly. Yes it prevend people from getting sick and thats good but it will not go away. I mean it is what it is. You can live with it and you will get it one day. Yes like the flu even if you get the vaccine. Or do you never had the flu once in your life  ? 

So long as the numbers of serious cases can be catered for in existing hospital facilities, life will go on as was once normal. The issue at the moment is that widespread Covid causes so many serious cases that health facilities are overwhelmed.

people will always die of Covid in the future, just like they do of influenza, but if the numbers are low enough, then so be it. A vaccine will get numbers down to a manageable level.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I used to live there as well, its been reported in the TV news, showing the complex.

Apparently just off to the left as you go over the flyover towards BigC

Ok. Cheers. Let's hope it's just a big cluster that hasn't spread further afield.

11 minutes ago, bestie said:

People are strongly believe and flush it goes away.  excuse me that I'm using the word here again but that's the "new normal" that they talking about. Or do you really believe there will be a back to the old world one day? Not without covid. Do you think that the whole world get vaccinate and especially the poor people will get their vaccine shot regularly. Yes it prevend people from getting sick and thats good but it will not go away. I mean it is what it is. You can live with it and you will get it one day. Yes like the flu even if you get the vaccine. Or do you never had the flu once in your life  ? 

No , it won't go away , unless it mutates itself in a harmless form ( many common colds are also corona virus ) . A vaccine can ( i not say "will" because that depends ) do different things . It can prevent you being infected in the 1st place . It can prevent you spreading it further . It can prevent you get serious illness , but still get sick . If it does nothing on those , then the vaccine didn't work . So far in the tests , some people did get infected and had mild symptoms while in the placebo group they had a lot more infected persons , and some with serious effects . If it only prevents you from being hospitalised , then the vaccine has done it's job .

15 minutes ago, meechai said:

The USA tests 500k-1million per day & had 250k positives

Thailand never tests but this time tested 1000 & had 500+ positives

See how it works?

Thailand is testing a single outbreak, probably the more infectious G614 strain from Myanmar. The West and US have been hammered for almost a year.

Pandemics don't produce secret, low level, wide spread ongoing infections.  They come is big bursts, usually one region after another. That's how contagions work. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, meechai said:

The USA tests 500k-1million per day & had 250k positives

Thailand never tests but this time tested 1000 & had 500+ positives

See how it works?

So you're saying Thailand has a 50% infection rate...we're well on our way to herd immunity then.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I used to live there as well, its been reported in the TV news, showing the complex.

Apparently just off to the left as you go over the flyover towards BigC

Sri Muang dormitory.

possibly close to Sri Muang Pattaya Warehouse โกดังเก็บของศรีเมืองพัทยา

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am going. Very low risk. We are talking about a pinhead of cases. And it is not like these fishermen are wandering around Bangkok. Come on. Let's maintain common sense about this. Wear a mask. But, continue with your lives. This is not America, which of course is #1. In Covid. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I have a domestic leisure trip this coming week...my only concern is another nationwide travel lockdown and I'm not able to return to Pattaya. I don't want to be stuck away from home like those who were caught outside the country when the doors were locked.

This is a call I too will have to make the coming next few days re a booking for XMas weekend. So do I feel lucky?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The virus itself is a tiny .2 micron...but it has to "piggyback" on larger aerosols and droplet particles expelled from the respiratory system that are floating in the air; the virus itself doesn’t have wings. The masks have to filter out these larger particles in order to prevent virus infection. I agree properly wearing a quality mask is the key.

.2 micron particles  float far and wide. Its almost like gravity doesn't effect them.  Yes they do attach to droplets of liquid and thats why a cough, sneeze,  yelling or singing is so bad.   The 2 meter rule was not scientifically determined.   It was some practical number.

Some of you have had your head up somewhere or in the sand for  10 months.   

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/coronavirus-microdroplets-talking-breathing-spread-covid-19/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-china-toilet-how-covid-showed-up-in-bathroom-long-vacant-apartment-what-it-means/

https://bgr.com/2020/09/01/coronavirus-spread-through-air-aerosol-transmission-studies/#

I would not want to be anywhere near a covid case.   You remember how China was welding  doors shut on apartments.   If it gets to BKK and the BTS and MRT TH is screwed. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

This is a call I too will have to make the coming next few days re a booking for XMas weekend. So do I feel lucky?

My trip is on Tuesday so I basically have today, Sunday, to decide if I want to cancel to get a refund on my airfare and hotel reservation. I'm leaning towards cancelling out of an abundance of caution...on a great Phuket resort promo I got...even though I feel the chance of another nationwide lockdown is practically nil.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I am not trying to blame anyone, I am trying to shutdown the conspiracy theory that Covid is all over Thailand and the Government has been hiding it.

The correct information is vitally important, it is a specific outbreak amongst a specific part of the population. Given that the group is somewhat autonomous within the broader population, that is important information relevant to contact tracing, containing the spread etc.

Pushing the narrative of "the great covid conspiracy has finally been uncovered, they have been hiding it all along",  is the misinformation that helps nobody.

You need to understand Peter that if they started testing enmass then they would find more asymptomatic cases everywhere, so it is time you got off the high horse and thought about it.  Maybe the family spread it to the migrant workers or a visitor spread it around.  No ones knows but to blame the Burmese is again a fallacy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Surely this means another lockdown?

Already has but so far just in that province.

Should however IMO lockdown all areas along the Eastern seaboard that have significant numbers of migrant workers from Myanmar. (just the migrant community /marker areas not necessarily whole provinces)  And do aggressive testing in migrant communities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bestie said:

You can only slow down the spread of the virus like with a vaccine, wearing mask, keep your distance..pp but it will never go away and never has been since the outbreak. Not from any country. The virus mutates and we have in some way or another to live with it. Even if you get your regular vaccine shots every year it doesn't  pretend you from getting another strain. Vaccine slows down the spread but that's all.

A good vaccine will protect most people from serious infection, hospitalization, and hopefully death.  That's a game changer, because it means we can all get on with our lives again.

As with the flu vaccine, when a new strain comes along, the vaccine will be modified accordingly.  So, it will be a shot every 18 months or so.

I agree that it will be impossible to vaccinate the world, and covid is going to be around a long while, but it won't be nearly as deadly, because most people will be vaccinated, or have some degree of partial immunity from previous infections.

• Like 2

Were these workers here since April?  Or did they allow workers in recently?   Did they do a 14 day quarantine?   Has the news said anything about there being illegal immigrants? 

Statistically minorities here in the US have been hit hard.  They had to keep working,  they live in crowded sometimes multi generation groups.  Like the meat plant workers.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You need to understand Peter that if they started testing enmass then they would find more asymptomatic cases everywhere, so it is time you got off the high horse and thought about it.  Maybe the family spread it to the migrant workers or a visitor spread it around.  No ones knows but to blame the Burmese is again a fallacy.

You can't have many asymptomatic cases with out a much larger number of symptomatic cases. Worldwide, true asymptomatic cases are about 17%-20%. Also beware, when the media says asymptomatic they often mean at the time of testing, discovery, on entry, etc.

But you're right that diseases don't distinguish countries and people.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

This lockdown of Samut Sakhon is like trying to shoot a horny elephant with a .22 gun. Then must lock the whole Bangkok area, before the New year hordes start moving out to the provinces.

Samut Sakhon is a separate province to the west of Bangkok

Not the best news. I live in a village with 70% of the population migrant farm workers, as well as being 45 minutes from the 3 pagodas border crossing (for Thai-Myanmar only), and alledgedly many unoficial border crossings.

The local Thai, especially the employers are getting nervous.

Looks like more self-isolation is again the best option.

Despite the recent tannoy messages from the Poo Yai, threatening 20k Baht fines for non-compliance, mask wearing at yesterday's market was only about 50%.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Already has but so far just in that province.

Should however IMO lockdown all areas along the Eastern seaboard that have significant numbers of migrant workers from Myanmar. (just the migrant community /marker areas not necessarily whole provinces)  And do aggressive testing in migrant communities.

Samut Sakhon isn't on the eastern seaboard?

11 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Not the best news. I live in a village with 70% of the population migrant farm workers, as well as being 45 minutes from the 3 pagodas border crossing (for Thai-Myanmar only), and alledgedly many unoficial border crossings.

The local Thai, especially the employers are getting nervous.

Looks like more self-isolation is again the best option.

Despite the recent tannoy messages from the Poo Yai, threatening 20k Baht fines for non-compliance, mask wearing at yesterday's market was only about 50%.

I think you are right, best to stay safe, & good luck. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SGD said:

Are they actually going to start telling the truth for once ?

I think in this case they have no choice, if they remained quiet people will come & go then it will be nationwide, however to close the province down is easier said than done, especially at this festive time when people will want to mix & celebrate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I think in this case they have no choice, if they remained quiet people will come & go then it will be nationwide, however to close the province down is easier said than done, especially at this festive time when people will want to mix & celebrate.

I just hope that they set up police check points to prevent people leaving Samut Sakhon

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1