Is a certain postal company stealing credit cards?

My replacement credit card was sent by post in Oct from oz to Thailand via family member. A few days later I get SMS from bank that it’s being used in Thailand (movie tickets, Lazada, take away food). After cancelling and getting refunded the bank sent a new one directly to me. Two months later no sign of it. They will now send another via DHL and of course now needing verification to activate it.
Has anyone experienced a similar situation? My suspicion is workers from a certain postal company as it was never delivered. Talking to police yielded little so far. This time I can track it and if stolen may know the location it was processed last. Doing police’s work myself. 

Edited by blackcab
Title Amended

I always have got my renewed credit cards through by ordinary post from UK but Big 'C' and 7-11 once used I  don't need put my pin number again. 

Find that weird. 

At PTT garage have to put pin number all the time. 

So if I lost my card I would have to notifiy my bank straight away. 

11 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

The bank said it was a replacement card for the soon to expire card. As such it was ready to use. I was not impressed to hear that. 

What bank? I'd be looking at changing personally. I have accounts with Westpac, Bankwest, ING, ANZ, Citibank and 28 Degrees and all of them have to be activated regardless of the reason a new card is sent.

Edited by Salerno
Typo

7 minutes ago, orchis said:

careful with unproven accusations.

I’m no English or law professor. I used the term suspicion and not accusation. Some say that unproven accusation  equates to suspicion which is a feeling or a hunch hence the title is framed as a question rather than a claim.

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

What bank? I'd be looking at changing personally. I have accounts with Westpac, Bankwest, ING, ANZ, Citibank and 28 Degrees and all of them have to be activated regardless of the reason a new card is sent.

Our beloved NAB. I think they realize the risk and will hopefully do something about it. Incidentally my other atm card is expiring soon and I’ve contacted them and shared the NAB story. They assured me that the card will need to be activated upon receiving. Now I’m waiting for two cards. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nout said:

How was it activated? Most cards are 'dead' until the owner, receives it and activates it using a variety of methods.

My Nationwide UK card came ready for use, I told the Nationwide phone girl it was daft as most outlets in LOS don't ask for a PIN, so if it was not delivered to me, it could be used by others....

From reading all the posts 

* They would never send an activated card

* There are ways to use (like when people get caught with many blanks )

As for Auss banks 

* I am amazed they (NAB) sent you one overseas - I would be checking that

- My dealings with ANZ is that they always send to residential address 

Tried to get one 4yrs back (even talked to ANZ stating i'm on the west coast of Auss working )

Guess where the card went after 3rd attempt - To my residential address on the east coast

Now going through it again & looks like they may have sent to Residential address (2hrs away ) & not the bank branch (10 min away ) who soughted this out & was told to get it sent to branch

Auss is so backwards & blames security reasons

But sister with City Bank got one in 2 days (whilst overseas ) since it is a foriegn bank

2 hours ago, transam said:

My Nationwide UK card came ready for use, I told the Nationwide phone girl it was daft as most outlets in LOS don't ask for a PIN, so if it was not delivered to me, it could be used by others....

My nationwide card has to be activated. Any use prior to activation leads to blocking/canceling. Perhaps you need to review your account security settings.

59 minutes ago, Pib said:

In all my decades of using/receiving US credit/debit cards from many different banks/companies, whether initial/renewal/replacement cards, they have always required activation.

I was just as surprised to learn replacement cards from the bank are ready to use. Lucky they spent $300 on takeaway food and movies. They could’ve done a bit better. Lol

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

From reading all the posts 

* They would never send an activated card

* There are ways to use (like when people get caught with many blanks )

As for Auss banks 

* I am amazed they (NAB) sent you one overseas - I would be checking that

- My dealings with ANZ is that they always send to residential address 

Tried to get one 4yrs back (even talked to ANZ stating i'm on the west coast of Auss working )

Guess where the card went after 3rd attempt - To my residential address on the east coast

Now going through it again & looks like they may have sent to Residential address (2hrs away ) & not the bank branch (10 min away ) who soughted this out & was told to get it sent to branch

Auss is so backwards & blames security reasons

But sister with City Bank got one in 2 days (whilst overseas ) since it is a foriegn bank

They sent the first card to my nominated address in Australia. Relatives posted it to me and was stolen and used in Thailand. I then changed my residential address to Thailand and they sent the second one (needs to be activated this time) which hasn’t shown up. The third card is coming via DHL with tracking I can monitor. This was by NAB recommendations. You can therefore have it sent overseas if you update your residential address online. 

12 hours ago, Nout said:

My nationwide card has to be activated. Any use prior to activation leads to blocking/canceling. Perhaps you need to review your account security settings.

Perhaps that's because I told them about their flaw..It was a few years back though....Oh, and I no longer use their bank cards.

I have had problems with cards in the post, I've lost several coming from Singapore to Thailand, though they need activation so no harm. That said I received a credit card from HSBC this week that came registered, though the postman just stuck it in the box. So sometimes they do come through OK.

Re Nationwide UK, my brother forwarded by DHL a new debit and credit card earlier in the year, was surprised to find neither needed activation.

28 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I have had problems with cards in the post, I've lost several coming from Singapore to Thailand, though they need activation so no harm. That said I received a credit card from HSBC this week that came registered, though the postman just stuck it in the box. So sometimes they do come through OK.

Re Nationwide UK, my brother forwarded by DHL a new debit and credit card earlier in the year, was surprised to find neither needed activation.

Scary isn’t it in this day and age banks sending active cards in the mail. 

29 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

Scary isn’t it in this day and age banks sending active cards in the mail. 

Indeed, how many £45 contactless payments can you get away with before it triggers a security flag?