April eyed for launch of driving licence points-deduction system

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

For that reason more and more license plates will be stolen, as it happens me one time.

Well, thieves are shrewd and have always been: where there is a system there is, at least, one way to break in.
This is why it is necessary to upgrade these systems as well as protect them. As for us, the regular users we, unfortunately, need be in constant vigilance 

14 hours ago, alyx said:

Maybe right but I gather that they will use the CCTV to have the offense recorded and the bill sent directly to the owner of the vehicle. Maybe not as sophisticated a system as in Europe (sorry, I do not know about other areas) but pretty sure they will do that.

They already do this. 

2 hours ago, DirtyFarang said:

You are right that "license" is the correct spelling.  But the Brits butcher the Queen's English by spelling it "Licence."  They also <deleted> up words like "color."  Look to the Americans for the New and Improved English, preferred by scholars everywhere.

The correct spelling was with the C initially and due to people like Webster it changed so it sounded how the word looked. No problem with either.

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How much do I need to pay in order to put the points back on my license after they take them away.  Do I get points added when they scan my QR code, or do I earn points for every ticket paid.  Just a little confused, is this like a demerit system, and will they make me a road monitor for the day once I loose the first 100 points, or will they suspend my license and stop me from driving, which does not work for the general public anyways as most drive unlicensed to begin with...

And of course points will only be deducted if an actual ticket is issued I presume...and I always take the option of paying my traffic fines on the spot (and getting the discount). Another reason life if better in Thailand.

18 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How much will cost to restore that? 

Leading question,  given the appalling behaviour of many drivers the Dept will be overwhelmed with client.  Not with standing catching all the peoples without  a licence at all, another fee but of course a lot of these delinquent drivers probably don't have money to pay the fines erc. Another committee meeting...

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, the new system has sparked concern that driver-training facilities will be overwhelmed by demand from drivers who have had their licence suspended.

That concern sounds like right...:whistling:

RE - However, the new system has sparked concern that driver-training facilities will be overwhelmed by demand from drivers who have had their licence suspended

* Establish 1m new sites for training dedicated for this which will improve the driving skills all over LOS, reduce the annual accidents and deaths, improve safety for all and last but not least creates 10m new jobs ... :thumbsup:

RE - However, transport operators have asked the DLT to postpone the measure for another year, so they can prepare and also recover from the impact of Covid-19 on goods traffic and passenger numbers.

* Well, the talking of points started for about 20 years ago so what does a year from or to ... 

15 hours ago, alyx said:

Maybe right but I gather that they will use the CCTV to have the offense recorded and the bill sent directly to the owner of the vehicle. Maybe not as sophisticated a system as in Europe (sorry, I do not know about other areas) but pretty sure they will do that.

If that is the way they plan it, they'll have to handle it a lot more efficiently than they did in Chiang Rai with the lady who racked up 300 tickets whilst jumping red lights!

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, the new system has sparked concern that driver-training facilities will be overwhelmed by demand from drivers who have had their licence suspended.

Good heavens! That implies too many drivers routinely violate traffic laws. Surely some mistake here?

Well first they should really try to make sure people actually get licenses and take the drivers training courses. That would be a much better start than this point system. Of all my Thai friends zero have motorcycle license and 2 of 5 that have a car has a car drivers license.  And 1 of those car license she paid the driving school an extra 5,000 to do it for her because she failed the small parking lot driving test ????
This must be some sort of early April fools joke. 

I would suggest it's doubtful that Thailandfd has the infrastructure to enforce any aspect of this.

firstly the police need to be trained in motoring offences.

Then road markings, equipment and everything else has to be calibrated

After this the legal system needs to be able to deal quickly, equitably and effectively with the various infringements

Then they have to follow up an enforce fines etc.

Finally even if someone looses their licence it may not stop a lot of people from driving as the chances of being caught and prosecuted are quite slim.

There are already many people on the roads in Thailand - including foreigners - who don't have a driving licence.

...and then of course there is the all pervading graft, nepotism and corruption..

My guess is the poor will be the ones to suffer most under this regime.

This is just a piecemeal approach, unless there is a holistic approach to road safety, there will be no significant change in Thailand.

Edited by Histavia

Not surprising. They need to generate a lot of revenue quickly. I'm surprised we have not seen more mobil Radar/Camera police and road blocks.  

Commercial traffic is big offenses and big money. The focus of the offenders is Commercial traffic, as Trucking companies must pay to continue driving. 

As far as camera tickets, no one pays those as no one can prove you were driving the vehicle. 

I personally have paid one 500 baht speeding ticket from a man using a camera/radar gun assisted by a road block and Highway Patrol.

As they set up (predicted location) the same favorite spot, you will learn where not to speed as well.  

Let them stop the drivers who are speeding in overloaded trucks and double trailers...  they seem to be the real cause of major carnage on our highways. 

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, transport operators have asked the DLT to postpone the measure for another year, so they can prepare and also recover from the impact of Covid-19 on goods traffic and passenger numbers.

Prepare?  How long does it take to tell their drivers to start behaving properly?  Why would a measure aimed at making the roads safer have any negative impact on their business?  Or are they admitting their drivers are useless and need a year's training? That I could understand.

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:
23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I not religious but quotes like " Forgive them for they no not what they do " comes to my mind. 

What about us that has never had a driver`s license in Thailand? A rare occasional small fine is all I`ve been paying for the passed 10 years I`ve been here. Point deduction from what?

Edited by HOAX

If the Thai traffic Police did their duty, as required, and were seriously committed to enforcing the road rules, then things will happen and lives will be saved.  Consequently, we would see less of the current driver stupidity every day on the road when we turn on the ignition. 

But given the way the Thais drive, I foresee that if the Police were serious, then, at least half of the current licensed Thai drivers on the road would lose sufficient points within six months and be be banned.  Then it will be safer to drive again.

I dream but tea money, somehow,  is more important to the Police than saving lives.

Will offences recorded by automatic cameras be recorded?  In that case, whose licence will be penalised?  The registered owner's?  What if it's a company?  I think they can only do it in cases where they have verified who is actually driving. Then how to they penalise iicenses of the large number of drivers who don't have one?  Don't tell me.