No one left behind: Thailand gives biggest hint yet that expats will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccines

webfact

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Really, Really, Lets say that a few more times.  I hope he is sincere as there is a very large number of expats in the sector requiring vaccinations due to being in the higher priority categories.  Then of course all of the millions of migrant workers that should also be vaccinated as they work in the service industries.

Does anybody in this Forum actually,...

A ) Believe Anutin

B) Expect to be Vaccinated FOC

Wake up and smell the Coffee, this is Thailand, and you know how you are thought of and treated.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No it won't. I have attended the free mobile health clinics and the free flu jab program. My pink card was also free but hardly related.

Free medical initiatives normally require a yellow book, because of allocations you only qualify in your area of residence.

This forum is the architect of it's own expectation, something the private hospitals are just waiting to capitalise on.

Being the holder of both a yellow book and a pink ID card as well as being a registered patient at our local Amphur hospital -- I'll believe it when I see it. 
I've never received any free medical services from any Thai hospital be it government or private.  Never offered.  Never expected to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

Not on your nelly. I’ll take my chances with a virtually harmless virus rather than allow a genetically modified chimpanzee virus into my blood stream.

Another Flu Bot with 100 % immune system , oh these TV Epidemiologist 

2 Problems concerns me ....

A) Sinovac ? ????

B) A.Z. for over 65 ? as not advisable by a big number country's   ????,  except U.K. 

I would not mind to pay for  a U.S.Moderna vaccine if available 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Here here, I’m with you on this sentiment and would happily pay for A Z but keep your Sinovac away from me!

That Ok with me.  99% of expats not wanting the Sinovac vaccination leaves me with a better chance to obtain it as it's the one Covid vaccination based on proven vaccine technology. 
I understand.  Most Westerners have a built-in, knee-jerk 'hate' response to all thing Chinese.  I'm honestly sorry to see that in my fellow expats.  I'm in that 1% group who does not. Chinese medical technology has been shipping to the West for decades and was fine until Western Geo-politics turned China into the quintessential international villain along with Russia. So now everything Chinese in most Westerner's minds is sub-standard rot to be avoided at all costs. Right along with Russia's Sputnik vaccine which I would also prefer over any of the new vaccine technologies. 

I understand what the Sinovac vaccine is and the technology it's based on - and it will be my preference if I can find it.  And I have nothing against the Chinese, their government, or their medical manufacturing capabilities. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EvetsKram said:

Just watch,  they may offer it but I bet it will only be to those with PR. Too many retirees here have multiple physical problems & are very high risk.  Many married have similar problems.  Many younger ones with work permits are covered by SS scheme & are relatively healthy.  It sounds a lot like this cheap electricity billing for 2 months,  very difficult to obtain a discount unless your useage skyrockets which negates the whole point.  It's all just for show

I checked my electric bills for the last 12 months and I never got any discount. I own my house and typically pay 3-5,000 /month. So I agree with you. You're probably right about PR too. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s health minister on Monday gave the strongest indication yet that expats residing in the country will be included in the roll out of the COVID-19 vaccination. 

Two words that are troubling... could & residing, the first yet to be confirmed and the latter to be defined.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

No one left behind: Thailand gives biggest hint yet that expats will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccines

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul  said that all  residents in Thailand, including foreigners could even be given the vaccination free of charge.

“Our policy is to not leave anyone behind and we must inoculate anyone at risk of spreading the virus, not only Thais. So the vaccines will cover everyone that resides in Thailand.”

As a 'dirty foreigner' I will almost by definition be considered a spreader by this xenophobic Health Minister.

And that innocent-sounding solidarity-slogan 'No one left behind' actually means mandatory vaccination (he said 'we must inoculate anyone at risk of spreading the virus').

Luckily this is Thailand, where talk and bravado is cheap, otherwise this would really worry me because on the issue of covid-19 vaccination I strongly prefer to be with the ones 'left behind'.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, connda said:

...... Covid vaccination based on proven vaccine technology. ......
I

You mix up a few things. The fact that it is a proven technology does not mean that it actually works in this case. Inactivated virus vaccines often have problems with poor immune responses (for instance due to changes in the structure of the virus that occur during inactivation by heat or chemicals) hence many full virus vaccines use a live weakened/attenuated virus. This has nothing to do with the country of origin. 

Apart from that, the problem with the Sinovac and Sinopharm  vaccines is the lack of peer reviewed phase III trials open to inspection by anyone inclined. There are only vague statements from various health authorities in Brazil, Turkey,....with varying results. A neutral comment on this can be found here https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-announcement-of-results-of-phase-iii-of-sinovac-vaccine-in-china/.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

He said "residing in Thailand"

Foreigners on non-immigrant visas aren't considered as residents, but as temporary visitors.

So if this turns out to only apply to permanent residents he wasn't lying.

residing to me means living here, which i have been doing for decades, even thou i renew my extension yearly

If its NOT given to all us NON thai's living here, ( be they farangs, Indians, Chinese, Burmese Khmer's) whats the point?

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

My Moral Standing in LOS tends to always Lie down.....never easy being Hansum 2 Mutt.... Bai Nai?   Where u go??? I go with youuuuuuuu??........(brow breaks out in sweat) ????

Mine tends to lie down when I want it to stand up.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul  said that all  residents in Thailand, including foreigners could even be given the vaccination free of charge.

I don't believe much of what he says ,Could doesn't mean Anything ,Not even  will be Free.

Time will tell how greedy they are and How Much they are going to charge the Expat for 1 or 2 Jabs.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

He said "residing in Thailand"

Foreigners on non-immigrant visas aren't considered as residents, but as temporary visitors.

So if this turns out to only apply to permanent residents he wasn't lying.

Wrong. As a non O retirement visa holder with a permanent address I am considered a resident. That was a prerequisite for obtaining my certificate of entry in November.  

• Like 1

In order for the vaccine to stop the pandemic the greatest possible number of people must get it as quickly as possible. Offering it free is the only way to be sure enough people get it. I'm sure the government is highly aware that they can't risk impeding the efficient rollout of the vaccine by placing a cost on it. 

• Like 1