Drinking canned ice coffees making people depressed?

villageidiotY2K

17 hours ago, Upnotover said:

UK recommend no more than 30g/day.  You're beating that easily just from your "coffee".  Mind you, they sometimes get these limits wrong, I'm sure they got weekly and daily messed up with the alcohol limit.

Thats quite low, i believe the upper limit is about 750mg/day and i personally would recommend around 250mg (500 too much, with 250 focus is best).

(p.s. stick to tablets/pills, no need for sugarly or sugerless cans of drinks when you can more easily and cheaper take a tablet)

My guess is that one of those cans contain about same caffeine as a normal small cup of coffee - so around 100mg. 500mg spread over a day will for SOME give them jitters and sleep issues, while others can handle it easily.

The sugars in it is too little to matter, but there could be other ingredients that affect you (not listed - or considered part of the "coffee concentrate").

My first thought will however be to reduce the number of cans drunk to say 3 daily and SAME time (and probably more importantly!) ensure you down enough water, as caffeine is dehydrating which for sure gives the head aches and can affect mood too. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Probably some of the other ingredients or chemicals.

I used to enjoy the canned coffee drinks from 7-11. Would try to get sugar free when possible. Either way it didn't taste right. Almost like a chemical metallic taste (no I didn't eat the can ???? ). I gave up on canned coffee drinks and now drink iced black Americano from a coffee vendor - they think I'm mad for not lacing it with sugar and sweetened condesed milk but it is much more refreshing, a lot lighter and virtually zero calories!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bundooman said:

I bought a similar product at my  local, Chiangmai branch of a well-known UK Supermarket.

Could you tell us what the active ingredient of this sweetener is, so we can avoid it (or look out for reactions if we use it)?

6 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Probably some of the other ingredients or chemicals.

About a year ago, I ran out of my UK purchased, sugar sweetener tablets that I had bought in UK some years earlier as an alternative to sugar.

I bought a similar product at my  local, Chiangmai branch of a well-known UK Supermarket.

After a few weeks, I found that I was really short of breath, particularly after climbing stairs, yet I am/was, pretty fit, being a long distance runner.

It wasn't till my Thai wife joined me in using the sweeteners, (one per mug of coffee), that she complained of being short of breath too.

The penny dropped and I dropped the sweeteners - symptoms disappeared.

I have no idea what is was in them that gave me that very unpleasant experience.

It has never returned and I now use honey.

It could well be something to do with 'aspartame'

the only sweetners i can get on with are 'hermasitas'(blue). They don't  contain that.

I used to buy some sugar free stuff.  Came in small bottles instead of cans, so it was a little more expensive.  I recall 18 baht, but that was a couple of years ago when I could actually get to Thailand.  I bought mine at Foodland, but saw it in a few other shops.

They also have some unsweetened black coffee in the little cans, but can be hard to find.  Another option was the big bottles of coffee concentrate, which could be had unsweetened.

I didn't call it iced coffee, though.  It was my CDS- Caffeine Delivery System.

Why not make your own iced coffee....I started making a nice afternoon latte. Brew some fresh strong coffee....add some ice and milk and a little sugar to the glass....drizzle in the coffee.....I look forward to my late afternoon coffee interlude...makes me more alert to cook dinner instead of late afternoon laziness. 

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:04 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

maybe it is your time of the month?.. 

actually in these days of covid and all the craziness in the world, not being depressed would be less normal... 

So are u depressed too?? 

I've got stable income,2 sources, not really effected by covid, actually it helped from 2nd income grow heaps, have savings and sh.it.  Living in a decent cheap place with much less problems with neighbors, since I'm on the top floor on the corner suite. But Im getting this feeling of depression almost everyday. <deleted> is going onnnnnn.  No I don't drink beer or have western wives. 

Thank God allah

1 hour ago, villageidiotY2K said:

So are u depressed too?? 

I've got stable income,2 sources, not really effected by covid, actually it helped from 2nd income grow heaps, have savings and sh.it.  Living in a decent cheap place with much less problems with neighbors, since I'm on the top floor on the corner suite. But Im getting this feeling of depression almost everyday. <deleted> is going onnnnnn.  No I don't drink beer or have western wives. 

Thank God allah

Yes, I was depressed for quite a while, maybe just from watching the news too much, seeing all the turmoil in the world and empathizing w/the despair.. after effects of an illness or two... ?? Totally listless and sleeping too much.. 

I am doing much better lately.. feeling younger than my days and energetic... and I have and have had an amazingly lucky good life and still do.. Great family, paradise home, couldn't be better... 

Maybe try turning off the news?? 

[quote]

(p.s. stick to tablets/pills, no need for sugarly or sugerless cans of drinks when you can more easily and cheaper take a tablet)

[/quote]

Um, why not chuck the 'chemical' drinks and pills, and eat healthy fruit instead, such as bananas, which contain natural fruit sugar?

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

[/quote]

Um, why not chuck the 'chemical' drinks and pills, and eat healthy fruit instead, such as bananas, which contain natural fruit sugar?

I hear you can smoke the peels as well...

I start the day with a 200 mg tablet of caffeine and a 200 mg capsule of L-Theanine (green tea extract to eliminate any caffeine edginess), both washed down with a glass of water at room temperature.

That is effective, fast, very cheap and, unlike coffee, doesn't stain my teeth. It is particularly handy when traveling or camping. I also find it handy not to have to bother to always have a carton of milk in my fridge.

I then eat two large oranges, a plate of porridge (made with water, no milk or sugar) served with around 16 blueberries, and a banana. That sets me up nicely for the day, I usually don't need to eat again until dinner. The fruit does contain sugar but all that fibre means it hits my system more gradually.

The caffeine and L-Theanine allow me to remain highly focused during the 4-hour block I spend on creative work each day. My work is very intellectually challenging and falls apart completely if my focus isn't there. Traditionally, people in my line of work have achieved focus by smoking like chimneys.

I have another 30 mg of caffeine with dinner in the late afternoon, usually in the form of a sugar-free energy drink. The sweeteners in it are probably bad for me but, oh well, you have to have some vices. I could also have that caffeine in the form of a coffee or whatever if I was out-and-about and using cafes again.

I never get headaches during the day and I sleep just fine.

I have enjoyed canned coffees in the past but, really, the sugar is the problem. You are setting yourself up for sudden highs and lows, leaving your energy levels in a mess, which in turns leads to lethargy and depression.

They really should teach this stuff in school, it is astonishing how little most people know about how to optimize their most important tool: their body.

Edited by donnacha