Have you noticed random Thais being friendlier to f-rangs in the current abnormal?

Jingthing

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So I've noticed a difference in attitudes of local Thais. Have you? 

Even the baht bus drivers have been friendly! 

Yes I agree in the main... although a couple of WIN guys I used were their usual surly selves and would not slow down. I was worried about the pressure of people without incomes and possible crime but it does not seem to have materialized.

58 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I've always found Thais friendly enough to me, as I'm friendly to them first and always offer a pleasant Sawatdee, krub. But maybe slightly more now, yes. Perhaps it's that they needn't be so wary of idiot tourists now that the remaining farang are mostly expats. Further, the expats may be more circumspect and generous about giving tips nowadays. I certainly am. Not surprisingly I'm getting a lot more recognition and friendliness on repeat visits.

It's a good time to be in Pattaya except for all the sad closings and the hardship they represent.

Good point. I'm certainly more appreciative of the Thais that are still here as well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

No way, very odd comment and says a lot. I was in a mall last week eating japanese food with Mrs and I told her to watch when farangs walk past and cross a Thai. Each time the Thai will check there mask or put it on quickly.

7 occurrences in an hour. Zero farangs walked past with this incident occurring each time by different Thais.

Everybody who walks into Starbucks takes their mask off immediately, especially Farang goofs 

I noticed a ‘friendlier’ situation after the 13 boys were rescued from the Tham Luang cave 2 years back. Generally most Thais I deal with , I need their help for our business so I’m grateful and give them the respect they deserve. Most Thias that deal with me have something to gain so show me respect.

Win win in most cases. The only time there is a problem is if and when they are total strangers and they have problems with queueing.

5 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I had to think about that for a minute or two, as I recently spent 3 months in Pattaya. Sorry, JT, but I have to issue a resounding "NO." 

With very, very few exceptions, restaurant and bar staff are the same disinterested, forgetful and unthankful bunch (and I was a sympathetic over- tipper), 7-11 clerks can't wait to ignore you after the transaction (in mostly empty 7s), Big C staff till can't give a rat's a$$ (no matter how polite I was), the barber I frequented thanked me for my over-payment  (but I never heard a word of greeting when I returned).  

I think I could count the number of smiles on two hands over the three months. It was that noticeably absent. The shocking exceptions were the helpful, polite and grateful moto taxi guys. 

I couldn't wait to move back to Bangkok (on New Year's Eve) where, IMO, 7-11, restaurant, bar and Big C service is remarkably better than in Pattaya. 

Stupid to think that they are better in BKK, but the rest is correct, Thai will never improve.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I found them also slightly friendlier.

At a German restaurant on Naklua road I often go to for breakfast, I get royal treatment after one of the ladies gave me back change as she thought that I gave her 1000 but I only gave her 500 which I off-course pointed out. She were extremely grateful because they pay out of own pocket if they screw it up. Now she know how I want my breakfast, no sausages but extra bacon instead and the Germans apparently don't uses ketchup on their fried eggs but I do and I don't have to ask for it anymore.

Needless to say that I tip them nicely.

This restaurant have been in business since 1979 and I would hate it, if it goes under during current crises but I think they will survive because there are often quite many people in there. Taverne is the name.

Kiss restaurant ? yes staff are always good there. Food also.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, samtab said:

Kiss restaurant ? yes staff are always good there. Food also.

I wrote the name in the bottom of my post. Think Kiss is closed on Naklua road.

Not a great loss, the 99baht breakfast was nothing write home about.

• Like 1