Bank account for seasoning and good interest rate

For extension based on marriage the money must be seasoned for 2 months only plus (for some imm office) under consideration period.

So you want advice on how to maximize you interest on that. Do the sums. Clearly not a financial planner.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

Well, some bank accounts can give you up to 1.5% but I don't know if they meet the immigration requirements. An extra 20.000 baht is better than nothing. 

I am not sure that any fixed term account has that high of an interest rate now.

Immigration will accept one if it allows withdrawals without delay or a penalty other than loss of interest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lacrimas said:

Well, some bank accounts can give you up to 1.5% but I don't know if they meet the immigration requirements. An extra 20.000 baht is better than nothing. 

Whatever. If you know of these banks with 1.5% interest then open an account with them. The funds must be available for instant withdrawal with loss of funds other than interest.

BTW outline where you arrived at 20kbaht

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Whatever. If you know of these banks with 1.5% interest then open an account with them. The funds must be available for instant withdrawal with loss of funds other than interest.

BTW outline where you arrived at 20kbaht

Suppose you have 1.5 million in the bank, you get about that. 

34 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

I mean, I just want a bank account with a good interest rate that can be used for my yearly extension. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough 

dream on  555

6 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Suppose you have 1.5 million in the bank, you get about that. 

with an amount like that some banks will (may) turn you away.... this is Thailand man, land of billionaires

Edited by Mavideol

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure that any fixed term account has that high of an interest rate now.

Immigration will accept one if it allows withdrawals without delay or a penalty other than loss of interest.

I'm getting 0.5% on a 6 month TD from Krungsri. I would reckon it's much the same whichever bank you go to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I tried the lump in the bank and realized what a foolish dead money waste it was I repatriated it all.  Kind of like buying a condo.

Now, I just do the monthly requirement transfer.

Some hate to hear it but, you would be better off just using an agent.  Let's say the agent rate is 15,000 b that is about 2% of the 800,000.  You can make a lot more then the 15,000 by investing in a simple index fund.  Since I repatriated my funds, I have basically doubled the 800,000 b I had sitting here making about zero. And before some blah blah about agents, with the current situation they I bet are encouraged by authorities.  Maybe it happens but, never heard of an agent submission being rejected or any enforcement other then some illegals/immigrant workers being dinged.

Takes some math and a little investment knowledge to figure it all out I guess.  Bottom line is, your 800,000 b is dead money sitting working for nothing.  Up to you.

Who mentioned 800,000?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I tried the lump in the bank and realized what a foolish dead money waste it was I repatriated it all.  Kind of like buying a condo.

Now, I just do the monthly requirement transfer.

Some hate to hear it but, you would be better off just using an agent.  Let's say the agent rate is 15,000 b that is about 2% of the 800,000.  You can make a lot more then the 15,000 by investing in a simple index fund.  Since I repatriated my funds, I have basically doubled the 800,000 b I had sitting here making about zero. And before some blah blah about agents, with the current situation they I bet are encouraged by authorities.  Maybe it happens but, never heard of an agent submission being rejected or any enforcement other then some illegals/immigrant workers being dinged.

Takes some math and a little investment knowledge to figure it all out I guess.  Bottom line is, your 800,000 b is dead money sitting working for nothing.  Up to you.

I completely agree. I would never fall into the trap of having immigration dictate to me what I can and (mainly) cannot do with my own money.

However, the O/P isn't talking about a retirement extension. He said spouse (i.e. marriage) extension.

4 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

I mean, I just want a bank account with a good interest rate that can be used for my yearly extension. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough 

Standard savings accounts with Bangkok Bank and SCB each gave me roughly 0.25% interest PA in December 2020 (less 15% tax withholding) payable every 6 months, one has 800K+ for Immigration only, the other the balance varies depending on how much I transfer and spend during the Interest period but not the interest rate.

On 3/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, Lacrimas said:

And if yes with which bank?

Long term 12-month fixed account interest rate is low at the moment, as almost everywhere, pays around 0.5 percent p.a. at the moment.

I use both Bangkok Bank (0.5%) and SCB (0.5%).

About a year ago the interest rate was 1.5 percent p.a. – it might come up again, it's been low before.

On 3/13/2021 at 5:20 PM, Lacrimas said:

Sorry Dude at the moment there are None that will give you a good return.

The wife has a bit of cash and is always on about buying some gold (jewelry) so I had an idea to to give her some cash to open a fixed term account and lock away the cash.

Kasikorn offered 0.4 or 0.5 - someone else mentioned http://www.icbcthai.com/ in a previous thread, they offered 1% on a million at 1 year term. We called in last week, I gather they are “farang” friendly.

I would love to know where I can get 1.5%, you certainly couldn’t get near that from a UK bank at the moment, her money from her business is just sitting there doing nothing, so 1% is better than a poke in the eye. 

On 3/13/2021 at 5:20 PM, Lacrimas said:

I think there haven't been good interest rates since... ummm.... for about 25 years ?

C'mon fellas, why the invective, chap asked nicely? Wanting to claw back a bit of beer money is only natural. Have also pondered this in the past but eventually came to the conclusion that it is not worth the effort to chase down a few baht.

Bottom line, banks won't pay now and you'll be lucky to get more than 0.5, which is albeit more than most western banks. Better off with a flexible account and drawing it down to invest elsewhere... bearing in mind you're not supposed to repatriate these funds, blah blah..

• Like 1