Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

On my MorProm app, there is a blank under passport on the Digital Health Pass and Vaccine Cert. Actually, it doesn't say my nationality. 

Do I need my passport number on it if travelling abroad? 

You mean in the Thai vaccination certificate? I am not aware of any country accepting it; you may want to get the yellow book with the WHO logo in which you have all your international vaccinations (just as yellow fever, smallpox etc).

According to what I was told, it will be issued here:

1. International Communicable Disease Control Suvarnabhumi Airport

2. Travel Clinic, Bamrasnaradura Infectious Disease Institute, phone 02-951-1170-9 ext 3430

3. Urban Institute for Disease Prevention and Control, phone 02-521-1668

No guarantees.

• Like 1

Brothers
i would like to know when changing Driving Lic Data , what is the procedure, i can't found the comment of 1 brother who changed.
i remembered Member said fees was 55 THB what else Document we need, and do we need to fill any form @ DL office .

6 minutes ago, david143 said:

Brothers
i would like to know when changing Driving Lic Data , what is the procedure, i can't found the comment of 1 brother who changed.
i remembered Member said fees was 55 THB what else Document we need, and do we need to fill any form @ DL office .

My friend did it at DLT chatuchak. He just flashed his new Thai ID card and that was it.

They just copy the data of the ID card on to the DL. They clicked new photo and printed the new card on the spot.

It was all over in 10 minutes.

There is no form to fill or documents to show. But I suggest you to carry citizenship certificate & RG copy just in case.

Its easy, dont worry too much David143

• Like 2

Just now, DrJoy said:

My friend did it at DLT chatuchak. He just flashed his new Thai ID card and that was it.

They just copy the data of the ID card on to the DL. They clicked new photo and printed the new card on the spot.

It was all over in 10 minutes.

There is no form to fill or documents to show. But I suggest you to carry citizenship certificate & RG copy just in case.

Its easy, dont worry too much David143

Doctor , Thank you much for your valuable time.

Does anyone have any experience with applying in Nonthaburi. Today I visited the special branch in Bangkok. The lady was kind enough to show me the list of documents that I need but I was told I needed to apply in the same province as my Tabien Baan. Has this happened with anyone else? Does this sound right?

Just now, moochai87 said:

Does anyone have any experience with applying in Nonthaburi. Today I visited the special branch in Bangkok. The lady was kind enough to show me the list of documents that I need but I was told I needed to apply in the same province as my Tabien Baan. Has this happened with anyone else? Does this sound right?

Change your Yellow Book To bangkok and Apply direct in Special Branch Siam.

4 hours ago, moochai87 said:

Can you share the list of Dox here?

The list from SB Police in Bangkok -  

https://sbpolice.go.th/en/page/_143.html

9 minutes ago, david143 said:

Coach interview
He submitted application last month, he already done his Final interview.

001.jpg

002.JPG

003.JPG

He had announced that he would get citizenship within this year, I think he is correct.

Maybe his name will be published in the RG this November.

47 minutes ago, david143 said:

Coach interview
He submitted application last month, he already done his Final interview.

001.jpg

002.JPG

003.JPG

Did the interviewers come together for just one applicant, or did they use the opportunity to interview a whole batch? Was anybody here in that batch, and when were your documents moved to the MoI? (I just want to check again how long the waiting period is at the moment from MoI receiving docs until interview.)

22 hours ago, david143 said:

Change your Yellow Book To bangkok and Apply direct in Special Branch Siam.

Do I have to? Is this definitely required? Or it is just because they do it more often in Bangkok and so the process is likely to be smoother?

54 minutes ago, moochai87 said:

Do I have to? Is this definitely required? Or it is just because they do it more often in Bangkok and so the process is likely to be smoother?

If you want it to go without problems id recommend moving it which will be a lot easier than applying in another province

• Like 1

11 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Did the interviewers come together for just one applicant, or did they use the opportunity to interview a whole batch? Was anybody here in that batch, and when were your documents moved to the MoI? (I just want to check again how long the waiting period is at the moment from MoI receiving docs until interview.)

They normally interview a batch. Enough to keep them busy from 9.00 am to about 4.00 pm.

8 hours ago, moochai87 said:

You don't have to change your tabien baan to Bangkok but it is advisable. The problem is that the law requires you to apply to Special Branch in the province you reside but Bangkok is the only province where Special Branch has a dedicated nationality section. So someone in the provincial Special Branch office has to agree to take up your case and figure out how applications are done which is quite a hassle with high risks of making mistakes.  The MoI is rather haughty and has a disdain for the police which makes it hard for them to call up for coaching. This is obviously impractical and makes no sense but they can't change the law. There are successful applications from other provinces but very few and they are mainly provinces that have traditionally tourist provinces, e.g. Chiang Mai, Phuket and Chonburi. Obviously there are a lot of foreigners living in Nonthaburi.  I don't remember seeing announcements of people with addresses there getting nationality but probably there have been some.  You could go to the Special Branch provincial office and ask about applying.  If you get a good response from someone who seems to understand the process well and is willing to do it for you, you could give it a try. Often people get given the run around in the provinces, specially more rural provinces and are sent around to different offices who send them back to where they just came from and/or ask for bribes without having the slightest idea what the process is.  Some provinces just pretend that there is no way for foreigners to get Thai citizenship to get rid of you.  I am sure Nontaburi will be more sophisticated than that but is still unlikely to be as smooth and efficient as Bangkok which sometimes messes up applications anyway.  Luckily, if you decide to apply in Bangkok, it is not too much trouble to get into the SB Bangkok office from Nontaburi for meetings.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Arkady said:

They normally interview a batch. Enough to keep them busy from 9.00 am to about 4.00 pm.

Yes, that's what they normally do. That's why I asked.

Was anybody here in that batch, and how long did it take from sending the documents to MoI until the interview?

On 10/7/2021 at 2:49 PM, moochai87 said:

It is actually the same list list as this, I guess they have a few copied printed out already. Do I really need to move my Tabien Baan to Bangkok to apply for citizenship?

No, but it is much easier, especially as you live so close. 

I tried from Isarn but ran into all kinds of issues and wasted lots of time. 

Everything went smoothly when I moved my housebook to Bkk. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 11:08 PM, Arkady said:

You don't have to change your tabien baan to Bangkok but it is advisable. The problem is that the law requires you to apply to Special Branch in the province you reside but Bangkok is the only province where Special Branch has a dedicated nationality section. So someone in the provincial Special Branch office has to agree to take up your case and figure out how applications are done which is quite a hassle with high risks of making mistakes.  The MoI is rather haughty and has a disdain for the police which makes it hard for them to call up for coaching. This is obviously impractical and makes no sense but they can't change the law. There are successful applications from other provinces but very few and they are mainly provinces that have traditionally tourist provinces, e.g. Chiang Mai, Phuket and Chonburi. Obviously there are a lot of foreigners living in Nonthaburi.  I don't remember seeing announcements of people with addresses there getting nationality but probably there have been some.  You could go to the Special Branch provincial office and ask about applying.  If you get a good response from someone who seems to understand the process well and is willing to do it for you, you could give it a try. Often people get given the run around in the provinces, specially more rural provinces and are sent around to different offices who send them back to where they just came from and/or ask for bribes without having the slightest idea what the process is.  Some provinces just pretend that there is no way for foreigners to get Thai citizenship to get rid of you.  I am sure Nontaburi will be more sophisticated than that but is still unlikely to be as smooth and efficient as Bangkok which sometimes messes up applications anyway.  Luckily, if you decide to apply in Bangkok, it is not too much trouble to get into the SB Bangkok office from Nontaburi for meetings.  

Do you personally know anyone who has been granted citizenship in the provinces?

I suspect they may have changed YB at the oath stage?

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Do you personally know anyone who has been granted citizenship in the provinces?

I suspect they may have changed YB at the oath stage?

A friend of a friend did it in Phuket. You probably could switch back after the oath.  I would check with SB before doing it in case they say your application has to be moved to your province. You never know with Thai officialdoom.

56 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

A friend of a friend did it in Phuket. You probably could switch back after the oath.  I would check with SB before doing it in case they say your application has to be moved to your province. You never know with Thai officialdoom.

You switch to your home province before the oath

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yankee99 said:

You switch to your home province before the oath

That's right, to avoid an extra trip to Bangkok. 

I was advised just to keep it in Bangkok until the end, less stress about anything going wrong in my home province. 

After 7 trips to Bkk, what's one more. 

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That's right, to avoid an extra trip to Bangkok. 

I was advised just to keep it in Bangkok until the end, less stress about anything going wrong in my home province. 

After 7 trips to Bkk, what's one more. 

I read in this forum that the documents (after being successful) will be sent to the Amphur/Khet where you were registered when you went through the process. A poster reported that there was a delay of weeks (or was it months?) because the documents now had to be reforwarded the the amphur where he lived, and where he had changed his tabien baan back to. The amphur where you are registered at time of getting the Thai ID is the one who needs to be have documents officially sent to them.

So, I would think it is wiser to keep the tabien baan in Bangkok - you will have one more trip to do, but you will get the Thai ID faster. 

Decision is yours, of course, and I am only reporting second-hand.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I read in this forum that the documents (after being successful) will be sent to the Amphur/Khet where you were registered when you went through the process. A poster reported that there was a delay of weeks (or was it months?) because the documents now had to be reforwarded the the amphur where he lived, and where he had changed his tabien baan back to. The amphur where you are registered at time of getting the Thai ID is the one who needs to be have documents officially sent to them.

So, I would think it is wiser to keep the tabien baan in Bangkok - you will have one more trip to do, but you will get the Thai ID faster. 

I think there are probably good reasons why people wait till they've safely got their ID cards before moving their tabien baan back to where they live. Probably not worth the risk of throwing a spanner into the works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

I just did this last month and before the oath but already being called to take the oath SB advised me to  move my book back to Banglamung. 

In my case i think trying to get the bkk house owner to come to District office plus witnesses would have been hard. Also some people are told to come back in a week. 

In Banglamung there were 3 trips in total for blue book and id card i guess ymmv

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 11:03 AM, DrJoy said:

He had announced that he would get citizenship within this year, I think he is correct.

Maybe his name will be published in the RG this November.

If I understand correctly, the last batch of males appearing in the RG had to wait a year after taking the oath. I think that was in August? If that is the case, why do so many people seem confident that the next RG list for males will be in November?

3 hours ago, qualtrough said:

If I understand correctly, the last batch of males appearing in the RG had to wait a year after taking the oath. I think that was in August? If that is the case, why do so many people seem confident that the next RG list for males will be in November?

I think if you look back waiting a year was abnormal. 4-6 months should be expected. 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:44 AM, onthemoon said:

Yes, that's what they normally do. That's why I asked.

Was anybody here in that batch, and how long did it take from sending the documents to MoI until the interview?

Hm, it seems to have been a lonely batch for the coach after all, or consisting only of people who are not in this forum.

8 hours ago, yankee99 said:

I think if you look back waiting a year was abnormal. 4-6 months should be expected. 

Thanks for your reply. But I still wonder why so many anticipate a November publication since that would only be 3 months after the August one?