give my deposit back !

in few years for the second time, two real estates disappeared the last day of long term rental with my deposit 20000/30000 THB.
I made video of rooms (all perfect as the first day, not damaged) I left the keys at Juristic office and wait...wait...wait and call the agent. I must go to the airport. I have the taxi! Where are you?
The answer was: do not worry, I will send your deposit to bank account. I never received one Baht of course.
Both real estate were well publicized on Internet with (ghost) office address, but the meeting to pay the rent was always in the condo. Uh
How to protect myself from this scam when I will rent?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A ghost office?  Doubt you will get anything.

I always go through an established RE office and never pay more then one months deposit.

You can probably get away with even less deposit now just pay a few months of the rent in advance.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

Ive always just stopped paying the rent in the last month or 2 depending upon the deposit. I just tell the landlord that I always do it this way and will pay the elec bills. Actually the last time I gave 2000 so that the landlord didnt have to worry about non payment of elec/ water bills. I will never be screwed over by an uneducated thai

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

A ghost office?  Doubt you will get anything.

I always go through an established RE office and never pay more then one months deposit.

You can probably get away with even less deposit now just pay a few months of the rent in advance.

When I return to the UK I pay all the rent up front.  This resolves the issues over credit checks, and usually allows me to negotiate both the rent and deposit. It's a two way agreement and both parties should be responsible and honourable. 

Stop paying rent for the last one/two months (depending on how many months deposit you left). They will complain but you have nothing to worry, if you keep your part of the deal and pay for all utilities until you left the premises. 

Worked wonders for me, they all went berserk but I told them that I had no interest, means nor chance to recover a dispute like that. To the big surprise of both landlords (where I moved out like that) I went to clear the last bills and all was OK. 

• Like 1

Firstly don't use an agent. Every Thai thinks they are a realator! Contact owner direct and maintain that contact monthly throughout tenancy. At the end of the tenancy continue to pay the rent or you will get evicted early. Locks changed services terminated. If you maintain a good relationship with the landlord you will have no problem with the deposit. Landlords should always insist on references.

4 hours ago, madmen said:

Lawyer will cost more than deposit 

The owner has to pay your legal fees. So it doesn’t matter what the lawyer fees are. Having said that, they were only ฿5,000. 

and so far for the second one, just the threat of going to court has them negotiating. I’m doing it out of principle and I will still be ahead a few thousand ฿

Edited by ncc1701d

5 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Firstly don't use an agent. Every Thai thinks they are a realator! Contact owner direct and maintain that contact monthly throughout tenancy. At the end of the tenancy continue to pay the rent or you will get evicted early. Locks changed services terminated. If you maintain a good relationship with the landlord you will have no problem with the deposit. Landlords should always insist on references.

I agree. I had a good relationship with my landlady but when I stopped paying the rent (becasue i had bought my own place and was planning to move out), she cut off the water supply after 18 days. I contacted a lawyer and was told you just rent whats in the condo, but had no rights out of it, where the main water switch was. So after 4 years of being the perfect tenant the landlady turned on me, and did i mention I had a pregnant girlfried living with me at the time.

I like to think I'm a smart bloke and own my own rental properties in London, so i went to a keymaker in a shoping mall and bought a 'star key' which universally opens all water cupboards and turned the water back on.

I got an eviction notice under the door a few days later, by which time i had left the A/C on constantly (and hadn't paid this month or last months bill). I know it was petty, childish and a tad vindictive, but I didnt complain about not getting my two months deposit back, and slept better at night.

6 hours ago, madmen said:

Lawyer will cost more than deposit 

But surely, if you win the case, then they have to cover your legal fees? Maybe I am mistaken?

I've only rented once in Thailand, an apartment in Bangkok. I paid a deposit, lived there for 6 months then had to go back to the UK for work. I just took my stuff, left, gave the keys to my girlfriend who was living with me and said if you can get the deposit back then it's yours. Although I dumped her shortly afterwards because I was not very impressed with having a toaster thrown at me just because I came home late from the snooker club, so I still don't know if they returned the deposit.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

In the UK this isn't a problem any more as landlords are obliged to use a deposit protection scheme where the money is held in escrow, not the landlord's bank account with very stiff penalties for landlords who don't do so. I think Thailand would benefit from such a scheme.  

It is the same in OZ. But they will still try and scam some type of cleaning scam, agents must be always on the take. Also any carpets must be ''Professionally cleaned'' by a company. 

16 hours ago, London Boy said:

I agree. I had a good relationship with my landlady but when I stopped paying the rent (becasue i had bought my own place and was planning to move out), she cut off the water supply after 18 days. I contacted a lawyer and was told you just rent whats in the condo, but had no rights out of it, where the main water switch was. So after 4 years of being the perfect tenant the landlady turned on me, and did i mention I had a pregnant girlfried living with me at the time.

I like to think I'm a smart bloke and own my own rental properties in London, so i went to a keymaker in a shoping mall and bought a 'star key' which universally opens all water cupboards and turned the water back on.

I got an eviction notice under the door a few days later, by which time i had left the A/C on constantly (and hadn't paid this month or last months bill). I know it was petty, childish and a tad vindictive, but I didnt complain about not getting my two months deposit back, and slept better at night.

That's the sort of owners landpersons you are dealing with ! They know that can take vindictive measures and get away with it ! Consumer rights in Thailand are ZERO

Next time don't speak about your business or plans with agents, they are not your friends even if they act like so. They are nice because you are making them money. The minute they understand you will move out, you become less than garbage for them. Never check out without getting the deposit in your pocket. First deposit back, after the keys. 

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 2