Right of way in a unmarked 4-way intersection

In the US drivers approaching an unmarked intersection from the right legally have the right-of-way.
I'm assuming that here in Thailand and other countries where traffic drives on the left that vehicles approaching an unmarked intersection from the left legally have the right-of-way. 

Just looking for confirmation.  This is Thailand so maybe its something else.  Looking for actual answers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

Yes, left has right of way in Thailand, however this is not the case in other countries where they drive on the left. 

thanks, it turns out i was wrong then,

i have thought about it for years how this dilemma was dealt with

• Like 1

11 hours ago, connda said:

Looking for actual answers. 

So you don't want a rant about all issues you have with Thailand right?

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Many Thais believe they have the right of way at all times at non-traffic light junctions.

The norm for round-a-bouts is the that vehicle approaching (i.e. from left) gives way to those on the round-a-bout (i.e. coming from right), not here those on the round-a-bout are expected to give way to traffic approaching from their left.

In fact I've seen many vehicles turn right at a round-a-bout not go round it, the police sitting at the round-a-bout do nothing as they are there only there to look after the gold shops.

Don't forget that they sometimes complicate these issues by having one or more sets of flashing traffic lights at the junction!

Often both sets of lights will be flashing orange, but sometimes one set will be switched off. Then I've also seen one set flashing orange and the other one red,

This is when you need an especially potent amulet attached to your dashboard to guide you safely through, lol.

• Haha 1

In the UK, you give way to traffic on your right. Is that the same here ?  I'm slightly confused by the above. It is a question I've had for a while, but it seems that whoever is most aggressive wins, if you hesitate then the other driver takes advantage. 

On roundabouts, well I'm incredulous. Normally if you're already on the roundabout you have right of way, but here people just barge in !

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Yes, left has right of way in Thailand, however this is not the case in other countries where they drive on the left. 

not entirely correct. In Thailand you only have right of way on the left when 2 major roads intersect and the road from the left is considered to be a more major road than the other. In most countries that drive on the left drivers have to give way to the right unless it's a T intersection. The traffic across the top of the T has right of way.

• Confused 1

In my home town in America they had a lot of 4 Way stop signs at intersections that didn't warrant a traffic light.  The signs were marked 4 Way Stop.  They worked quite well with everyone taking turns by who arrives first at the intersection.   I asked my Thai partner why they don't use 4 Way stop signs here and he said too few would take turns.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

not entirely correct. In Thailand you only have right of way on the left when 2 major roads intersect and the road from the left is considered to be a more major road than the other. In most countries that drive on the left drivers have to give way to the right unless it's a T intersection. The traffic across the top of the T has right of way.

I got two answers that were factual as opposed to dripping with sarcasm.  That's good, but the two factual answers are conflicting.  Maybe the left, but maybe not.
So my guess is the only way to figure out who has the right to way as codified in Thai law is to find the Thai law that's applicable to driving.
So new question.  Does anyone know the link to Thai traffic and driving laws in either English or Thai.  I'll figure out the answer to my question from there. 
It's pretty sad that something so fundamental to safe driving is so difficult to find and is shrouding in mystery. This stuff is pretty well hammered into you between 15 1/2 and 16 years old in the West if you plan to get a license to drive.  Here?  It's a big question mark.

Edited by connda

whoever flashes their lights first

or:  Land Traffic Act – B.E. 2522 (1979)

Title 6: Driving through Junctions or Circles

Section 71 (500B)
[If, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there’s a designation of “principle roadway” in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

Section 72
[A principle roadway is announced by the traffic officer and installed with indicative traffic signs.]

Section 73 (500 – 1000B)
[A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle (rotary). (1000B)

If there’s no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

If the traffic officer deems it appropriate, he may set temporary traffic signals. (1000B)]

Section 74 (500B)
A driver who is driving a vehicle out of a private way or a roadway in a building area, before crossing or turning into the roadway that cuts across, shall stop his vehicle to let the vehicles passing or moving in the roadway through before proceeding upon it being safe.

Edited by rwill
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, scammed said:

thanks, it turns out i was wrong then,

i have thought about it for years how this dilemma was dealt with

Yes the law  is give way to right the logic, because they are in best vision position, but  in practice give way to the biggest.