TSB closing accounts for customers living in Thailand

10 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Wow not good news.

I believe it can be difficult to open a UK bank account when not actually there. Do you have an account elsewhere?

Was your account active or pretty dormant?

Sincerely hope other UK banks don't follow.

I opened a TW 'balance' account.

Active with a considerable amount in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pontious said:

Onshore - Aberdeen Scotland for a zillion years.

OK. I think the banks don't like having overseas clients as it's near impossible to open an account onshore UK from outside the country.

Hell, they don't even want home customers as their costs to maintain the accounts are a lot more than most people keep in an account.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

OK. I think the banks don't like having overseas clients as it's near impossible to open an account onshore UK from outside the country.

Hell, they don't even want home customers as their costs to maintain the accounts are a lot more than most people keep in an account.

I  have several hundreds of thousands in the bank. To quote from the letter further ''This is because we are a UK only bank and when customers move overseas the increased legal and regulatory complexity and risk means it can be difficult for a UK bank to continue providing banking services.'' It is happening in Europe as well for other banks - BREXIT.!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Don't see how they would even know you lived abroad unless you told them your new address. Sending transfers each month is not exactly a flagging issue unless its huge amount every month - all my transfers go as 'family maintenance' 

As I still own my house in the UK and have a great tenant, so address registration is not an issue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't see how they would even know you lived abroad unless you told them your new address.

They have known and used my Thai address for the last 15 years. Things are obviously different now.

Edited by pontious

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Barclays gave me the hoof 10+ years ago because "based upon my spending patterns I was largely based outside the UK" this despite maintaining a UK address.

Presumably you were paying for things in Thailand from your UK account. I use my UK credit card for that, if they close that no big deal. I doubt they would close a UK account if you weren't using it enough as you could have more than one account so activity varies

I hope HSBC never does this. I have some investments in the UK and one of the conditions is that I must have a UK bank account. I do use my Bank account for UK internet purchases (Amazon Kindle books) and the account needs to be functional for my occasional visits.

3 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I hope HSBC never does this. I have some investments in the UK and one of the conditions is that I must have a UK bank account. I do use my Bank account for UK internet purchases (Amazon Kindle books) and the account needs to be functional for my occasional visits.

Transferwise (Wise) should work for you if you have problems.

All my bank accounts and credit cards in the UK, I have my friends address listed as my home address.

If they ever ask, I am renting a room there, but they dont.

Never had a problem, I have lived overseas since 2003.

If you have left the UK, and dont have any payments there, then so what if they close?

just bring your dosh here, and least you get some interest with Krungsri Saving Account.

Or, use HSBC 

• Like 1