Fighting for survival: Mum takes the kids to work delivering food on her motorcycle

webfact

I'm not sure what alternate Thailand people live in, but its very common for Thai market/street/delivery vendors to have their kids along with them .Especially during school holidays. I suppose it makes for a nice human interest story but its not uncommon and existed before Covid

Edited by Peterw42
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, webfact said:

Sanook reminded their readers that there are always people worse off than you. 

Well there's more food delivery customers and many more food delivery set ups since the pandemic.

Sure it's sad but many people in our village were were poorer before at least govt gives em 800 now instead of 400.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, Cake Monster said:

Good luck to this Lady and Her Children.

Its just so sad that she has to resort to this dangerous way to earn some money

But maybe a lesson learnt in who to vote for next time around.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There is a little boy on our soi......his mum abandoned him so a lady Grab rider 'looks' after him, but doesn't take him on her bike.

He basically lives in and around the street bars on our soi........we feed him and give him drinks....as do others who know him............very sad, yet he seems very happy.......a rather precarious existence nonetheless.

• Thanks 2

Not much of a human interest 'heartwarming' story, only 2 kids, husband at work and she's not suffering from some horrible disease. Millions like her. Life is tough while 1% own 67% of the wealth, something Thai media studiously ignore

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

There is a little boy on our soi......his mum abandoned him so a lady Grab rider 'looks' after him, but doesn't take him on her bike.

He basically lives in and around the street bars on our soi........we feed him and give him drinks....as do others who know him............very sad, yet he seems very happy.......a rather precarious existence nonetheless.

Does the poor little <deleted> go to school yet? What protection does he have from the elements and predators?

22 hours ago, kynikoi said:

This is stupid and dangerous. Surely someone in her circle of friends can serve as group care giver take care of ten kids for a bunch of mom's.

Death wish. It's cute till their dead

I agree , but realism has to prevail at times

• Like 1

Yup, a bunch of posters ready to criticize this Thai woman, but not realize that she may not have 

family in Bangkok. Some people do not have a Circle of friends like you expats do.  Some people do

what it is they have to do to survive. Be happy that none or you are in this woman's shoes.

Pip Pip   carry on. and all that.

Geezer

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 10:57 PM, GreasyFingers said:

Never realized that some people were so heartless.

I don't believe that @Peter42w is being heartless, yes it's tough that the kids have to go to work with mum on a bike for her to make ends meet during school holidays, I also see it all the time up here in the sticks, kids sitting around on side cars, motorbikes, in the back of pickups at the market stalls during school holidays, you name it, when parents don't have someone to look after them and both are working, that is part of the "joys" of life, been there, done that many moons ago, but kids in car while I would drive to and go in and out of places while they came a long, that was my work, driving and delivering, no one to look after kids, ok, not a motorbike, but also didn't have anyone I could trust to look after them, so you do what you got to do, but make it as much fun for them as you can.

All depends where you live in Thailand, that said, let's not mention those riding on motorbikes with their young ones asleep while the rider is playing with their mobiles or the kids sleeping and holding the parents while they are on the motorbike.

It's a tough life, kudos to her, but kudos to many others parents as well, kids are adaptable and will survive.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, Dmaxdan said:

This is also is the type of story that people need to read before they post that Thailand should have implemented a full nationwide lockdown. A lockdown that would have destroyed thousands, if not millions of peoples lives.

Exactly. Some fool (expat) asked the question the other day in my company, 'why isn't there a full lockdown' he mused...pure ignorance.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, Dmaxdan said:

A lockdown that would have destroyed thousands, if not millions of peoples lives.

The once booming tourist hotspots  Like Pattaya,Phuket and Chaingmai  have been devastated  with the measures implemented so far  which for Pattaya did involve check points on  all road  entry and exit points  for a short while  not really a "hard lockdown"   but things just got worse and worse from there on   closing all bars,pubs,disco's,massage,cinemas,swimming pools,beaches,parks,restaurants etc  the street vendors are thinning out,  many 7/11 and Family Marts closed,  even the "free copy" real estate magazines seem to have thrown in the towel !!!!

The lady in the article  would be better off if she could add a sidecar/cart to her bike  so the kids would be a bit better protected but she probably hasn't even enough money to afford one. ( 3000 +++ baht)