Cost of Trainer footwear

superal

11 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

2 years old, worn for work for ten months, well worth £10..

That is great value for your money. 

What I find odd is that many, not yours, fall apart because they don't spend  a few baht on extra glue.   Have 5 pairs at the moment and all lasted at the most 10 runs before I had to repair which takes about 10 minutes with rubber cement.  Usually get about 600k from the copies and the same for the real thing.  .

Race shoes the last few years have tripled in price.  Feel bad about buying copies but I'll get over it and I do buy the real thing also.  

37 minutes ago, atpeace said:

What I find odd is that many, not yours, fall apart because they don't spend  a few baht on extra glue.   Have 5 pairs at the moment and all lasted at the most 10 runs before I had to repair which takes about 10 minutes with rubber cement.  Usually get about 600k from the copies and the same for the real thing.  .

It's bacteria eating the glue.

If you keep all your shoes together the peeling shoes infect the new shoes.

Western footwear glue doesn't last long in Asia.

• Like 1

One problem with ordering online is that every different brand has a different shape.  I used to be able to fit into Nike shoes but the forefoot is too narrow for me now.  Even when I have ordered the wide widths, the forefoot is still snug and then the heel is too large/wide.  

Also, being that the malls have been so empty lately, stores such as Supersports are having some great sales so the sticker shock isn’t so bad.

22 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

I would not consider buying shoes online. Sizes are so approximate these days  a 43 in one style/brand might be a 44 or a 42 in another, there might or might not be half-sizes and foot width etc varies considerably. I only consider trying before buying on something like this where fit is so important.

In Thailand, Decathlon have a large range of trainers for various purposes, starting around B350 to B3000 or so. Difficult to justify more than about a thousand baht per pair on them - I can't see what's better about the more expensive ones. They last well enough too. Farang sizes always in stock, it seems.

They're so cheap I buy them and chuck them if they don't fit.

Decathlon sizes are extremely limited, I take size 45, but the biggest Decathlon sell is 46 ...... and their size 46 is smaller than a normal size 45.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lanng khao said:

2 years old, worn for work for ten months, well worth £10..

I don't doubt they lasted 2 years but even if you bought an unknown brand not copy of Nike they would have lasted the same and you would have paid them 5£ not 10£ because that's what they are worth. I could see and touch copies at second hand shops and they are absolutely not like the real ones. Yes they have the Nike logo, if that's what you need. The similarities stop there..

PS: that model you are showing doesn't even exist. "Air max" and "zoom" umm..no

Edited by Sundown

11 hours ago, lanng khao said:

There was nothing mentioned about running, there only a fashion shoe, just buy a new pair  every 3 months, every one on here must think there kip keino. 

I get it - your shoes rock! Good buy IMO.  The threads here seem to evolve and much has been discussed outside of fashion. No foul?

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Why is this a shock? Good trainers have never been cheap. The Nike Waffle Trainer costs about $25 in 1976 or $118.28 in today’s dollars. That was more than 3 times the price of average sneakers then.

image.png.3a2498bac61ad63fa0675c9fbe7107aa.png

Nowadays a good all-rounder, the Air Zoom Pegasus 38, is about $120 on Amazon. And what a vast improvement it represents:

image.png.0cd4902bff8c253e4dc1787ddc5503f6.png

By comparison note the price inflation of other consumer items that haven’t much improved. Just to give an idea:

image.png.d1c3f479a64b02d5f6f8a2ba1019a448.png

More shocking, no?

> The granddaughters trainers are NIKE and also just for leisure and are something of a status symbol / must have fashion item  . She told me they have an air bubble that makes you feel like you are walking on air .

She may wear them as a fashion item, but they're nonetheless good for running a marathon if she wished. No doubt they do feel great, unlike the clunkers you normally buy.

> Are you a trainer wearer and what is your budget to buy them and what outlet plus is there a Thai equivalent to the previous mentioned trainer ?

Yes, for working out and running on my treadmill, mainly. When out & about, however, I usually wear Merrell trekking shoes. Great armor against Pattaya’s streets and sidewalks, good ‘nuff for shorter trips on the motorbike. Fit beautifully, feel great. Our delicate flowers might find them a bit hot, however. I don’t feel any need to make fashion statements.

I buy them all on sale at SuperSports, using the generous discounts sometimes offered online. So I usually get away with a price of around B2000 – 2500.

It’s important to try shoes on at a store before buying them online, as all our very shrewd members know. Finding the right length isn’t so much of an issue for me as finding the right width. Many models are too narrow; perhaps in some cases this reflects targeting of the Asian market. Over the years, New Balance has had the widest toe box consistently.

Once, I did order a size too large from SuperSports, but I just sent them back and requested a size smaller. No problem; free return and delivery, promptly. All shoes I’ve ordered there have been 100% authentic.

You don’t get champagne on a beer budget in this highly competitive market. No, there are no Thai running shoes or knockoffs comparable to the authentic offerings from the big names. Clunky cheap shoes don’t offer proper cushioning, support, and wear for any serious walking or running. You may not realize this until you finally own a pair of good shoes, if ever. Yet an authentic-looking cheap Nike copy worn confidently behind one's Zimmer frame would indeed create some sort of impression, no doubt about it.

As noted, cheap shoes tend to fall apart quickly under any stress or with time. A Thai cobbler can not only glue them back together but stitch the soles on as well--for less than B100, cost being a concern here.

I had a pair of authentic adidas golf shoes bought in the UK for £55 and was using them in Thailand for 1 month when both soles came off . Took them to a local Thai cobbler who re-glued and also stitched them and charged me Baht 400 , seems you got away cheap . They were never a problem again and lasted me another 18 months .

My main point on this "Trainer " topic is not only the kudos of having an expensive trainer but I am more interested in comfort underfoot , lightness of the shoe and cost . As mentioned earlier there is a massive markup on trainers mainly because of street cred to which I am not too interested , however if you are a regular runner/ walker I guess you will always opt for a tried and tested reliable trainer . I am only looking for a day to day reasonably priced non sport leisure trainer for comfortable walking around the shops etc . I generally look for a decent heel padding and a deep underfoot cushioning along with a light weight . Have to say that in the UK an outlet named JD Sports sell reasonable trainers starting at £20 and a good range of sizes . Majority of provincial Thai shops only seem to stock shoes to a maximum size of 44 and to get a larger size its a visit to Bangkok or maybe a large city . Maybe as already mentioned Lazada may be worth a look although I did look there once and the larger sizes were out of stock . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Insoles , good mention but I have yet to find a decent insole with a good cushion effect .

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:16 PM, CharlieH said:

In my experience the knock offs look the part but you soon know when after exposure to the heat and humidity here they start becoming unglued  and fall apart after a few weeks or months.

There are other makes far cheaper and great value if you are not a slave to a brand.

Not always true I have had expensive original brands bought in the UK that the soles have came unglued on and some that the soles just cracked and fell apart. I have also had cheap fakes bought here that have lasted years. 

• Like 1

Bought myself a pair of Baoji trainers not air or anything fancy, looked a bit trendy a bit too colourful for me for less than 500bht. Took them to the UK for  a few months lived in them almost, that was three years ago, still wear them, looking a little tired now but I will buy the same brand again.

Lazada and Shopee great until things have to be returned, don't get me started there.

Are we now not slaves to fashion? You see anyone partaking of sport and they have to have the fashion accessories. The fashion industry is one of the biggest destroyers of the worlds resources. I do my morning walk in an old tee shirt and shorts and a pair of old fashioned plimsolls in chique black. But I'm 87 and at this age we're past caring and no one bothers to look at us. -Save the world. Go trad!????

• Like 1

One of the most important parts of what you wear, either for sport or anything involving weight bearing, is shoes.

The first consideration is, are they comfortable?, second, will they provide proper support for you in particular? Third, will they offer value for money in the long term?

One of the greatest problems many people have is backache, often arising from wearing the wrong shoes. If you are a runner, there is no better than dedicated running shoes.

Younger people buy fashion, but later they will discover that comfort and support will be more important.

I have persuaded my wife to wear, proper supporting slippers in the house instead of flipflops, that are the default footwear for the majority of Thais. After only a few days it has made a difference enough to justify the change.

Buy cheap, get cheap!

Buying shoes of any kind on the Internet is a bit hit and miss and not good for me. I have to try on a few pairs even of the same stated size before I feel properly comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:33 PM, BritManToo said:

It's bacteria eating the glue.

If you keep all your shoes together the peeling shoes infect the new shoes.

Western footwear glue doesn't last long in Asia.

Yep, I've found that out many times. Brought some good trainers or hiking shoes over from the UK which have disassembled quickly in the heat and humidity here.

Luckily, there are always plenty of shoe repairs / cobbler stalls around here that do a great job of fixing, or at least applying adhesive that works well in this climate.

I've found locally-made brands from places like Decathlon etc to be okay; good value for money if you're not brand-fixated.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, superal said:

Insoles , good mention but I have yet to find a decent insole with a good cushion effect .

Insoles are a good idea for inadequate supportive shoes. A couple of time, I bought "Sorbothane" insoles that I reckon are the "go to" product. But again I stress the importance of trying first the ones you need for your particular situation.

On 6/12/2021 at 3:16 PM, CharlieH said:

In my experience the knock offs look the part but you soon know when after exposure to the heat and humidity here they start becoming unglued  and fall apart after a few weeks or months.

There are other makes far cheaper and great value if you are not a slave to a brand.

I have had trainers bought from a Sports retailer in the UK than have come unglued  after I brought them back to Thailand and these were Nike!

22 hours ago, superal said:

I had a pair of authentic adidas golf shoes bought in the UK for £55 and was using them in Thailand for 1 month when both soles came off . Took them to a local Thai cobbler who re-glued and also stitched them and charged me Baht 400 , seems you got away cheap . They were never a problem again and lasted me another 18 months .

My main point on this "Trainer " topic is not only the kudos of having an expensive trainer but I am more interested in comfort underfoot , lightness of the shoe and cost . As mentioned earlier there is a massive markup on trainers mainly because of street cred to which I am not too interested , however if you are a regular runner/ walker I guess you will always opt for a tried and tested reliable trainer . I am only looking for a day to day reasonably priced non sport leisure trainer for comfortable walking around the shops etc . I generally look for a decent heel padding and a deep underfoot cushioning along with a light weight . Have to say that in the UK an outlet named JD Sports sell reasonable trainers starting at £20 and a good range of sizes . Majority of provincial Thai shops only seem to stock shoes to a maximum size of 44 and to get a larger size its a visit to Bangkok or maybe a large city . Maybe as already mentioned Lazada may be worth a look although I did look there once and the larger sizes were out of stock . 

As i live up outside of Chiang Rai and never go to BKK. I would appreciate any input on shops that sell the larger sized I am a 14 UK so something like 48 to 50 Thai sizes. I can't find anything on Lazada that is accurate. the last 48's I bought and returned  were  totally knock offs and about 4 sizes smaller that advertised. So if any one could put me in touch with any shops that actually sell Uk or US large  sizes  I would be very appreciative.

5 minutes ago, Randell said:

As i live up outside of Chiang Rai and never go to BKK. I would appreciate any input on shops that sell the larger sized I am a 14 UK so something like 48 to 50 Thai sizes. I can't find anything on Lazada that is accurate. the last 48's I bought and returned  were  totally knock offs and about 4 sizes smaller that advertised. So if any one could put me in touch with any shops that actually sell Uk or US large  sizes  I would be very appreciative.

https://www.decathlon.co.th/content/size_guide/sizeguide_en.html#shoes_homme

• Like 1

5 hours ago, superal said:

A few years ago I bought an England footy shirt in Bangkok prior to the world cup comp . Shirt cost bt 150 as opposed to £40 in the UK . When I proudly wore it back in the UK watching the footy in a bar , someone pointed at the hologram on the shirt and said who the xxxx are Endland ?  555

On Lazada you can find jersey replicas also at 90 baht. I bought a couple for 150 and they look perfect except the texture of the shirt. They even have embroidered logos. I don't know how they even make money on those...

Edited by Sundown

On 6/13/2021 at 12:47 PM, lelapin said:

The sizes on the chart don't look right!

07797e7fd592a62925fad74ce6127312.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg