Vaccine registration in Pattaya area.(Expats)

banglay

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I know that most of us expats are running ourselves ragged trying to find a way to get vaccinated here in Pattaya, but being a pragmatists, I just don't think this going to happen for us before the end of the year.  I hope I'm wrong about that, but I just don't see any indication at all.

I think we should all be concerned with just trying to stay as healthy as we can in the meantime, and there are a lot of things we can do to ensure that our immune systems are as strong as possible.

One very simple thing you can do that has now been scientifically proven in terms of efficacy at preventing serious complications that require hospitalization with respect to Covid is making sure your vitamin D levels are optimal.

I'm not saying it will prevent you from contracting Covid, but there are now countless studies that have been conducted over the last year that provides science-based proof that Vitamin D deficiency is associated with higher risk of COVID-19 hospitalisation.

All it takes to know if you are deficient is a simple and cheap blood test, and if you are deficient, you can boost your serum levels with high potency supplements in a matter of days

It's such a simple thing to do that can have a tremendous payback!

It's just a little piece to the puzzle of staying safe until you can become vaccinated, but it could easily make the difference in whether or not hospitalization is required should you contract the virus.

Here is the latest science based study that documents what I'm talking about:

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with higher hospitalisation risk from COVID-19: a retrospective case-control study

You can see the complete study as it appears in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (by clicking this link)

And remembering the basics (even though most people are fed up with it by now); social distancing, masks, clean your hands often and thoroughly.

It does work and clear proof of that is in the drastic drop in the number of seasonal flue cases and cases of the common cold.

https://wkow.com/2021/06/19/cold-flu-cases-return-as-people-unmask/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I find it annoying when I see someone out in public with a mask slung down below their nose, or down around their neck like it's some fashion accessory and nothing more.

So true.  Find myself more and more playing dodge the maskless farang these days.   Had to step off of an elevator at my condo a few times when these imbeciles get on.  And of course more times than not they are speaking too loudly into their mobile phones at the same time.  So in essence spraying droplets from their mouths while unmasked, not cool. 

• Like 2

I agree with that 100%  And not just going through the motions of wearing a mask but wearing it correctly.  I find it annoying when I see someone out in public with a mask slung down below their nose, or down around their neck like it's some fashion accessory and nothing more.

For Thai people who see Farangs going maskless or improperly wearing a mask in public, it's incredibly insulting to a culture where mask wearing has always been considered important not just for health reasons but as a social sign that you respect the safety of others around you.

Yeah but many Thai people can be seen behaving badly in a similar way. Including some working in indoor jobs where they really should know better. If anyone is going to post this doesn’t happen, I can assure you that it does.

I know that most of us expats are running ourselves ragged trying to find a way to get vaccinated here in Pattaya, but being a pragmatists, I just don't think this going to happen for us before the end of the year.  I hope I'm wrong about that, but I just don't see any indication at all.

I think we should all be concerned with just trying to stay as healthy as we can in the meantime, and there are a lot of things we can do to ensure that our immune systems are as strong as possible.

One very simple thing you can do that has now been scientifically proven to dramatically lessen the chance of requiring hospitalization if you contract Covid is making sure your vitamin D levels are optimal.

I'm not saying it will prevent you from contracting Covid, but there are now countless studies that have been conducted over the last year that provide science-based proof that Vitamin D deficiency is associated with higher risk of COVID-19 hospitalisation.

All it takes to know if you are deficient is a simple and cheap blood test, and if you are deficient, you can boost your serum levels with high potency supplements in a matter of days

Disclaimer:  I'm not a medical professional so of course you should consult your doctor...but to be honest I did not!  I just took the blood test on my own.  My levels were already optimal becuase I already supplement with D-3 (and also Zinc Picolinate...which is another booster for immune response).

It's such a simple thing to do that can have a tremendous payback!

It's just a little piece to the puzzle of staying safe until you can become vaccinated, but it could easily make the difference in whether or not hospitalization is required should you contract the virus.

Here is the latest science based study that documents what I'm talking about:

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with higher hospitalisation risk from COVID-19: a retrospective case-control study

You can see the complete study as it appears in The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (by clicking this link)

I didn't even bother with a blood test to supplement but yes that's better.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Slightly off topic, but it might be advisable to keep quiet about receiving any vaccine here in Thailand as a foreigner. I've had looks/questions ranging from "How come you have and I not?" to simply "How much you pay?". Seems the Thais I've met really don't appreciate being behind a foreigner in the queue. But, tell them it was Sinovac, and it saves the day. Then they just think you're a complete idiot and fall about laughing.

Yeah Sinovac is very unpopular with all. I don't understand why the Thai government doesn't just unload their Sinovac on f-rangs. I would be happy to get it as its better than nothing and I agree most  Thais wouldn't mind  at all.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah Sinovac is very unpopular with all. I don't understand why the Thai government doesn't just unload their Sinovac on f-rangs. I would be happy to get it as its better than nothing and I agree most  Thais wouldn't mind  at all.

Media led hatchet job, as on all things Chinese. It's great to have a whipping post. They're damned if they do give it away, and damned if they don't.

I've got my 2nd shot in a week or two. After that, Moderna, bring it on! Hoho.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

So true.  Find myself more and more playing dodge the maskless farang these days.   Had to step off of an elevator at my condo a few times when these imbeciles get on.  And of course more times than not they are speaking too loudly into their mobile phones at the same time.  So in essence spraying droplets from their mouths while unmasked, not cool. 

LOL, call me Mr. Paranoid but I won't get on an elevator with other people these days, or if I have to, I hold my breath, which is not so easy to do from my condo on the 21st floor!

27 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL, call me Mr. Paranoid but I won't get on an elevator with other people these days, or if I have to, I hold my breath, which is not so easy to do from my condo on the 21st floor!

Exactly what I do as well. 21st floor should be below 1 Minute so this is a good Covid test as well.

Unfortunately, even if the elevator is empty of people you will not see all the viruses floating in the air from all passengers before you. I wonder if one could buy somewhere a military grade mask which would actually really protect you from the virus and as a side effect remind and shock people and say: "I have not been vaccinated yet"

Edited by moogradod

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Exactly what I do as well. 21st floor should be below 1 Minute so this is a good Covid test as well.

Unfortunately, even if the elevator is empty of people you will not see all the viruses floating in the air from all passengers before you. I wonder if one could buy somewhere a military grade mask which would actually really protect you from the virus and as a side effect remind and shock people and say: "I have not been vaccinated yet"

Well, at the very least a mask like that would probably make people give you a wide berth LOL! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I would think there are lots of commercial masks available that are up for the job.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Media led hatchet job, as on all things Chinese. It's great to have a whipping post. They're damned if they do give it away, and damned if they don't.

I've got my 2nd shot in a week or two. After that, Moderna, bring it on! Hoho.

Not exactly. 

There are objective weaknesses with Sinovac.

It's close to worthless after the first dose and under par in effectiveness after the second dose.

But it's still much much better than nothing.

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, at the very least a mask like that would probably make people give you a wide berth LOL! 

Fair enough. About the same effect as if I take the mask off LOL

14 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I would think there are lots of commercial masks available that are up for the job.

found this e6ac91bbf4820432a396601b60c2924f.jpg.00d05e4044c423838818f991c0fcb622.jpg  on special offer on Lazada it should fit your requirements nicely ????

10 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Fair enough. About the same effect as if I take the mask off LOL

LOL...I like your self effacing sense of humor!  We need more of that on this forum, instead of the more typical mean-spirited wit directed at others.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Personally I don't really know what to make of SinoVac.  So much information about it is shrouded in political propaganda and PR campaigns by other vaccines makers that's it's really hard to know the real truth about its' efficacy and safety.

One thing it's got going for it however is supply.  According to the International Monetary Fund, 6 billion doses of vaccine will probably be produced this year. AstraZeneca is running at around 150 million units a month, and though it's hard to really know how much vaccine is being manufactured in China, it's estimated by reliable sources to be around 300 million units per month, according to an article I just read in The Lancet.

It may, or may not be up to par with the Western vaccines, but it's plentiful, and as a stopgap until you can get a Western vaccines, I certainly would not turn it down.

Absolutely. 

But isn't it special that so many high risk expats particularly in Pattaya are struggling so hard to even get the most undesirable and most plentiful brand. 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Absolutely. 

But isn't it special that so many high risk expats particularly in Pattaya are struggling so hard to even get the most undesirable and most plentiful brand. 

It's a reminder to us all that we chose to live in a 3rd World Country.  Sometimes, that has consequences.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Have a good cough and splutter and announce you just tested positive..... might persuade others to mask up.

36 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Only if getting the Sino doesn't put one at the back of the line to get a better vacccine.

It's a tough situation. Agreeing to take the Chinese jabs might mean you will get vaccinated and getting some level of protection sooner but it won't allow you to travel to most Western countries without quarantining.

Personally I will not take the Chinese vaccs for that reason alone.

Edited by Phoenix Rising

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

It's a tough situation. Agreeing to take the Chinese jabs might mean you will get vaccinated and getting some level of protection sooner but it won't allow you to travel to most Western countries without quarantining.

Sinovac is not accepted in EU .

15 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I disagree with not taking whatever vaccine you can get ASAP.  You can always supplement with a Western vaccine later when it becomes more readily available. 

In the meantime, even a SinoVac vaccination is going to offer significant protection, and probably a lot more than many have been led to believe by all of the marketing propaganda being put out there by competing vaccine makers, and those with political agendas against Chinese vaccine makers. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 7:49 PM, Leaver said:

It's a reminder to us all that we chose to live in a 3rd World Country.  Sometimes, that has consequences.  

It always, but always has some major negative consequences, but having said that, the advantages out-way the disadvantages, in my view. I would not like to have been in any of the Western countries during the early stages of this pandemic. I am not too bunched about waiting for the vaccine of my choice to become available here. It strikes me that the stress that some are clearly  feeling, on not getting an immediate vaccine, is as damaging to their well being as the virus.  Its all about risk mitigation.  Don't break the rules, don't take unnecessary risks, don't go near crowds and wait out the vaccine issue. 

On 7/9/2021 at 7:49 PM, Leaver said:

If anyone truly believes that Thailand is a 3rd World Country, then they've never been to a real 3rd world country before.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I disagree with not taking whatever vaccine you can get ASAP.  You can always supplement with a Western vaccine later when it becomes more readily available. 

In the meantime, even a SinoVac vaccination is going to offer significant protection, and probably a lot more than many have been led to believe by all of the marketing propaganda being put out there by competing vaccine makers, and those with political agendas against Chinese vaccine makers. 

I realise this is a bit of a stretch for this thread, but in the current climate of sinophobia and hatred of all things Chinese, I'd like to mention how, when my daughter was very young, she suffered badly from eczema. No amount of western steroid creams was of any use. I took her in desperation to a traditional Chinese medicine doctor in the heart of Chinatown in London. Long story short, all her rashes, scabs, and sores were gone within 6 weeks. It took the doctor 10 minutes to put together a prescription of natural ingredients.

Have some respect for a culture that is 10 times as old as America, and a lot older than European ones. Don't lose sight of what is valuable in this war of attrition. Rage and blame won't solve anything.

But, if pushed, I can do attrition too:

Pharmaceutical company lawsuits

GlaxoSmithKline, $3 billion. Drugs: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Avandia. ...

Pfizer, $2.3 billion. Drugs: Bextra, Geodon, Zyvox, Lyrica. ...

Johnson & Johnson, $2.2 billion. Drugs: Risperdal, Invega, Natrecor. ...

Abbott, $1.5 billion. Drug: Depakote. ...

Eli Lilly, $1.42 billion. ...

Merck, $950 million. ...

Amgen, $762 million. ...

AstraZeneca, $520 million

Just a selection from Western pharma. Put that lot in yer arm and THEN curse the Chinese!

https://www.enjuris.com/blog/resources/largest-pharmaceutical-settlements-lawsuits/

Edited by bradiston

3 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I believe the correct term is 'developing country' but i also prefer 3rd world.

So do I, Harry.

The term "developing nation" implies the nation is actually progressing. 

In my opinion, even pre covid, Thailand was regressing.    

• Like 1