129,000 foreign tourists to visit Phuket by end of September

Jonathan Fairfield

GSCAYNREP5KNLLKBAQDJHD2DBE.jpeg

An empty hotel and beach which have opened for visitors is seen in Karon, Phuket Island, Thailand March 31, 2021. Picture taken March 31, 2021. REUTERS/Jorge Silva/File Photo

Approximately 129,000 foreign tourists will visit Phuket between July and September, officials said on Saturday.

With the island gearing up to welcome vaccinated foreign tourists from July 1, officials predicted that 600,000 people will visit Phuket in the coming months, including 500,000 domestic Thai tourists and 129,000 foreign tourists, generating some 15 billion baht for the local economy, Phuket governor Narong Woonciew said.

The pilot project used for reopening the island - dubbed Phuket Sandbox - will be rolled out in other areas of the country, if it is proven to be successful.

The Phuket Sandbox will allow vaccinated foreign tourists to visit the island without needing to quarantine in a hotel room. 

While tourists are free to travel around the island, they must remain in Phuket for 14 days  before being granted permission to travel to other areas of Thailand. 

They will also need to take three COVID-19 tests during their stay: one on arrival, another on day 6 and a final test on day 12.

Meanwhile, Channel 7 reported that 5 international airlines will arrive at Phuket International Airport on July 1 bringing tourists from Europe, which it was said have high purchasing power.

Earlier this week, tourism officials said the majority of foreign tourists who visit Thailand via the Phuket Sandbox project will come from Europe and the United States, with tourists from China not expected until the fourth quarter.

Book your sandbox hotel in Phuket here

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Approximately 129,000 foreign tourists will visit Phuket between July and September, officials said on Saturday.

The clown who came up with those figures must be an Everly brothers fan....... Dream dream dream.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

49 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

With the island gearing up to welcome vaccinated foreign tourists from July 1, officials predicted that 600,000 people will visit Phuket in the coming months, including 500,000 domestic Thai tourists

someones been hitting the x instead of + on their magic calculator - seems the same as they do with the vaccine rollout  numbers, while infection rate gets a dose of the division and minius  keys

I'd like to have some of the stuff they are smoking it has to be some good sheet, maybe i'll start "predicting" too... pity no one of the predictors will not take a wager on it...

i dont know where they will all be coming from but there won't be any tourists from Oz....SCOMO and crew aint letting anyone out  without a good reason ...tourism is not one of them

25 minutes ago, smedly said:

someones been hitting the x instead of + on their magic calculator - seems the same as they do with the vaccine rollout  numbers, while infection rate gets a dose of the division and minius  keys

Yes, since the blocked "Hornpub", they hit the X instead.

3 minutes ago, wombat said:

i dont know where they will all be coming from but there won't be any tourists from Oz....SCOMO and crew aint letting anyone out  without a good reason ...tourism is not one of them

I got a rumour that "Vanuatu" is looking forward to the magic bubble with Tighland.

5 minutes ago, wombat said:

And there are no planes flying to Thailand. No way to get to Thailand from Perth even if it was worth going.

yes sure.. I am wondering why 129.000 and not 130.000????? How many rooms are booked already and how many seats on flights are already confirmed?? Numbers is what they like in Thailand and all for lottery I think, but the reality is just like winning.... often you stand empty handed

5 minutes ago, wombat said:

there won't be any tourists from Oz....SCOMO and crew aint letting anyone out  without a good reason ...tourism is not one of them

I was shocked to see how OZ NZ managed the pandemic...they simply locked the countries...not so democratic at all...

6 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

And there are no planes flying to Thailand. No way to get to Thailand from Perth even if it was worth going.

Not correct. I left Perth for Bangkok on the 10 June.

5 days left of quarantine in ASQ hotel. So if you can get an exemption to leave you can travel to Bangkok on SQ or CX via Singapore or Hong Kong.

You can fly to Phuket on SQ via Singapore from Perth.

Getting back is another problem, and expensive

This figure was quoted a couple of weeks ago. No idea why it's being repeated.

But, according to one particular newspaper which I'm not allowed to link to, the figure is out of date already, as the TAT is anticipating 600,000 visitors during the same period. Yes, 600,000!

The article also reveals expected expenditure of 15 billion baht. That's 25,000 baht per head or less than 2,000 baht a day, and that includes SHA+ accommodation.

With around 40 international flight arrivals a week that mean that each of these flights would be carrying over 500 passengers.

Hopefully another news source will publish this so it will appear on the pages of Thaivisa as the LOL number could reach a record high!

40 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

BREAKING NEWS 

Phuket to be renamed Fantasy Island

Boss,The plane,the plane,🤣

37 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I'd like to have some of the stuff they are smoking it has to be some good sheet, maybe i'll start "predicting" too... pity no one of the predictors will not take a wager on it...

Now now. you know there is no gambling allowed ........................LOL

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

The clown who came up with those figures must be an Everly brothers fan....... Dream dream dream.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

he. got the wrong location. ,he meant to say all brits going to Cornwall ,all French going to Corsica   ,all thais may go Phuket   ,theres is nearly no international travel 

12,900 more like !
Ah well only two more weeks and reality will be reported from Phuket via people saying it’s exactly the same as it was and nobody came ! All the while the TAT and government will be spouting what an overwhelming success it has been 😂

Nah. Closer to 1,000 per month, for Phuket and same for Samui, once it opens. So, I estimate this silly sandbox scheme might bring in 4,000 to 8,000 tourists by late September. If that many. Likely no more than 30,000 tourists by year end. 

Just too many restrictions, and limitations. The goons are forgetting airfares are higher than before, due to reduced flights. And people do not want to be told what to do, while on vacation. Especially by a bunch of very arrogant, and very ignorant fools. 

Too many nails in the coffin of the tourism industry. Well under a million tourists, with no restrictions in 2022, and if they are lucky they might see as many as 5 million tourists, by 2025. The tourist industry is basically finished here. Utter sabotage. 

They come to thailand to experience the real brainwashed society and how it feels like to be slaved, forced to be masked and writs banded by the silly system, without having any understanding of life health and human rights. Welcome to Thailand!

Archived