Thailand reports 44 COVID-19 deaths, 3,644 new cases

webfact

1 minute ago, smedly said:

don't know why you still aren't getting it 

most of the infections are discovered when someone with symptoms reports to a medical center for a test simply because they are ill, it is well known that most people who get covid are assymtomatic but are just as able to spread the virus - this means that the virus is spreading from people who are unaware they are infected and the vast majority will never be counted and the spread will just continue to rise - if hospitals are now refusing to test those reporting with symptoms then we really do have a grave situation.

Meanwhile Thailands solution seems to be focussed on resuming tourism ASAP instread of putting maximum resource  into testing and vaccine rollout - they have it all back to front 

Where are you planning on putting those that test positive if indeed there is exhaustive testing.

You missed my point. It was not about the benefit or otherwise of testing..

It's about providing medical care under the current mandate that anyone testing positive is to be placed somewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

would it not be a better option to keep testing and only hospitilise those that are actually sick - the rest can quarantine at home.

That's not the current rule.

Change the rule and that might be an option. 

BTW it would not be quarantine at home. That's almost impossible. It would be isolate at home and that's also unlikely. Very few Thai live alone.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

so what you are saying is - they are just giving up and will allow the virus to spread because they have run out of hospital beds 

Makes pretty clear sense to me.

You also state in another post that they need to get on with vaccination. 

You need supply of vaccine to enable that. What have last few days been by way of vaccination. 100k less than 200k.

Why is that when first day was 400k+

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:
1 hour ago, Phuketshrew said:

Thailand has somehow managed to retain its amber level status after the reviews in the UK yesterday - but that could change. 

Indeed. For those supporting tourism, that is a boost.

on the negative side, Spain’s islands were moved to green. So it’s a couple of hours flight to islands that are open, no need for tests and no quarantine on the way back, or a 16 hour haul to a closed island with 4/5 tests and house quarantine on the way back.

With the poor Brit holidaymaker already being bitten twice by Hank Wanksock's sudden changes in the color of their regional holiday destinations, outside of those with existing permissions to re-enter Thailand, there's NOBODY from the UK planning on climbing into the Phuket sandbox.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Where are you planning on putting those that test positive if indeed there is exhaustive testing.

It's about providing medical care under the current mandate that anyone testing positive is to be placed somewhere. 

like I have said many times - the medical facilities should only be for those that are sick - they should not just stop testing and bury their heads in the sand (box)

There are options for those that are not sick - if they need to increase those options then that is what they must do - if however they have run out of facilities to treat the sick then that is a whole different ball game 

• Like 1

Such a waste of resources for so little economic gain.

there is just no government appetite now for things like ramping up testing, creating additional hospital beds and increasing the number of medical personnel. That’s just so boring.

so much more exciting to be on the cutting edge of creating overpowered techniques to control a measly few tourists. Control techniques that will undoubtedly erode quickly, as they in turn become boring. Nothing lasts longer than a week in the thai government world.

In truth they always plead poverty, even though it's quite a wealthy country- relatively anyway.

There's no managing covid19- you either lockdown, or don't and suffer the consequences.

• Like 1

I agree.

But the government seems to feel it’s the other way round. Plenty of test kits  to give to tourists, but not so much for Thai’s. 

Covid tests are unpleasant things and having had a series of them recently I'd actively avoid having to repeat the experience. 

• Like 1

The reported number of new cases will be even lower compared with reality than usual, as a number of hospitals have run out of the testing kits and are turning away patients wanting a test. Remember also that many of the infected people being found now at markets and in foreign migrant camps are asymptomatic, and were only discovered because of proactive case finding measures implemented due to a suspected local cluster. Multiply that cross the affected areas and the real daily case numbers are probably well into five digits.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Well, if asymptomatic, the solution in other countries is isolation by way of house quarantine. Whether that can be made to work here en masse, I don’t know, but that is what has been done elsewhere.

for symptomatic cases, where there are no beds, I can’t help but feel that not testing, isn’t a solution, it’s a breakdown in the system. In other countries patients have been transported to areas that DO have beds, navy hospital ships have been deployed etc etc.  But I have never heard of a patient getting better by not having his condition diagnosed.

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, if asymptomatic, the solution in other countries is isolation by way of house quarantine. Whether that can be made to work here en masse, I don’t know, but that is what has been done elsewhere.

for symptomatic cases, where there are no beds, I can’t help but feel that not testing, isn’t a solution, it’s a breakdown in the system. In other countries patients have been transported to areas that DO have beds, navy hospital ships have been deployed etc etc.  But I have never heard of a patient getting better by not having his condition diagnosed.

Can you name "in other countries"

Which countries would they be? Malaysia? Philippines? 

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

I asked at one of the local clinics how much for a covid test. Answer: Bt1,300.

I have had two Covid PCR tests at Bangkok hospital in Phuket. Cost Baht 3,000 per test. Result in 24 hours

Edited by Rhacsyn
Add text
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rhacsyn said:

I have had two Covid PCR tests at Bangkok hospital in Phuket. Cost Baht 3,000 per test. Result in 24 hours

In Bangkok some places will send testers to your home:

BLEZ Clinic, International General Clinic in Bangkok

Covid PCR test at home.

You can now take the Covid PCR test at home or at your designated place. Our staff will visit you to collect your sample, and the results will be sent to you via e-mail in 2-3 days.
The method is a saliva collection. Please send an email or line for more information. The fee is 4,000 baht per person.
A test report will be issued by the laboratory.

https://blez-clinic.com/en/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I will never understand Thailands urge to differentiate prisoners from others.  Obviously they think that they are sub human or something.

Never say never.

It's done to manage the pandemic. Epidemiologists require that worker camps, prisons, the public, and cases from ASQ, are counted separately.  Each has a different R0 so they must be modelled separately. One reason is  because their contacts with others differ. Other places do the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The reported number of new cases will be even lower compared with reality than usual, as a number of hospitals have run out of the testing kits and are turning away patients wanting a test. Remember also that many of the infected people being found now at markets and in foreign migrant camps are asymptomatic, and were only discovered because of proactive case finding measures implemented due to a suspected local cluster. Multiply that cross the affected areas and the real daily case numbers are probably well into five digits.

Since virtually no country truly tests sufficiently, this is the case around the world. Even the US is estimated have had many more asymptomatic individuals than the reported number.

The only way to know for sure is to randomly and repeatedly test 1,000s across the country every week for both Covid via RT-PCR and antibody tests, but almost no one does that.

Your post could appear in forums across the world, because almost nobody tests enough.

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

so what you are saying is - they are just giving up and will allow the virus to spread because they have run out of hospital beds 

would it not be a better option to keep testing and only hospitilise those that are actually sick - the rest can quarantine at home.

Not at all, I just don't see these daily "published" figures rising above certain levels, as it would create an impression that things are getting out of control.

Completely agree with your second paragraph, but I still feel that "reported cases" are generally those of the, as you say, actually sick" category. 

7 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There are a couple of hundred countries dealing with Covid. Posters here write as if Thailand were the only country grappling with the virus. There are countries that have decided to live with the virus. I’m not saying that’s a good approach, but realizing that other countries have been in this situation and have not turned into India would steer this conversation away from repeating the same truisms over and over again.

Thailand doesn’t test enough. There are more cases than are reported. The government has mismanaged the vaccination campaign. My Thai GF says her Buffalo is sick and needs money. 

Does that cover it for today?

It's the Thaivisa Forum that you're active on....there's a clue in the title there for you.......although I suspect you may participate in forums in a couple of hundred other countries also ????????!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Most likely widely know. 

The PM just now announced no lockdown for Bangkok.

Source: the telly

So he spoke to his health advisors, threw a banana at them and carries on with no plan.

free sarcasm included

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

So he spoke to his health advisors, threw a banana at them and carries on with no plan.

Might be wrong. This sandbox thing has a defined path.

The following steps with Krabi and some islands etc etc. 

One domino falls it's like a house of cards.

Or more like Humpty Dumpty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mancub said:

It's the Thaivisa Forum that you're active on....there's a clue in the title there for you.......although I suspect you may participate in forums in a couple of hundred other countries also ????????!

5555 danders, danders, deflection man at his best.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

s UK, Singapore, Australia, USA, “Europe”

Please don't compare those countries to Thailand.

I don't mean covid. I mean infrastructure etc. Talk about apples and oranges.

• Like 2