Moderna at private hospitals: It'll cost 3,400 baht for two jabs, can pay from Thursday

webfact

Thailand's government pleads poverty when it comes to amassing vaccines and now is letting the private sector make hay by overcharging those who can afford to get one of the two best vaccines in the world. The government is going cheap with Astra Zenica and that Chinese rubbish again, pleading poverty. 

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am pretty sure the hospitals will have to pay up front. And the vaccine has only a limited shelf life. I understand that they don't just order amount x only to find out that the demand is not what they expected.

As long as they have a fair refund policy I don't think paying up front is a problem.

I have a few bridges for sale as well if you are interested...  =\

Give me your $$$ and I will show you the dream...

Seriously though, everyone take care with this one, sounds like bad news brewing to me... !!

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, riclag said:

The UD Private hospital quoted me 3800 with a refundable deposit!

Also the CSR at the Udon private said expect to pay a DR. fee!

Hopefully the DR charge won't be more than 1k, I could live with that !

IMOP the M vacc from what some news reports have reported, is holding up against  the new variant, as opposed to the AZ and the china vacc.

Do some inquiries  on the web ! Call or email some of these privates ! Some privates are offering a full refund in the event they can't live up to their promise of procuring the M vacc !

That's what I have !

11 hours ago, watthong said:

Maybe this'll be of some help, maybe not...From my Thai other half internet source, intending for the Thai populace: contact your local private hospital and check if they are in this Moderna vax program which is scheduled to roll out in October. If that's the case, you can sign up and pre-paid 2,400 for both jabs starting Thursday. Appointments to be made later. Then on the day(s) of the jab, pay 500 each time, which I interpret as hospital service fees and what not. If for some reason jabs are not delivered as appointed, you can claim for a refund which should materialize 15 days later. So there is a mention of a (full) refund, in what form that should manifest, maybe too early to tell.

Yes. My GF said the same. Must have been on the Thai news. It seems a very reasonable policy, which proves the government is not involved in management of the program. She said there are two hospitals in Huahin that we register with.

I can't understand why everything on the television here is in Thai. Just another plot to make farang feel uncomfortable I think. ????

If the Thai people would simply make an effort to learn multiple foreign languages it would ease that tension somewhat. To be honest though, as an American I've noticed this nationalistic attitude in a number of foreign countries. It's annoying but I'm a big enough person to let it pass.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As long as they have a fair refund policy I don't think paying up front is a problem.

Nobody gets money-back for anything in Thailand. The price quoted is for imaginary jabs that Anutin will procure and Pinocchio has guaranteed will arrive ... eventually.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Do you mean 1 farang and 1 Thai?  Or, 2 farang?

If it's 1 farang and 1 Thai, did you note if 2 Thai people (husband and wife) can sign up for this deal?

Thanks.

When we ( 1 faring and 1 Thai) signed up, we went with our friends, Thai husband and wife, and we all got receipts for our prepayments, we were told the receipts are transferable to other individuals if we later don’t want the vaccine, and that we would be refunded if we choose not to take it or assign it.  

Edited by Tracyb
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dutchweller said:

I wonder if I pay by AMEX 

I will get a garentee refund like I did when SCUMBAGS THAIAIRWAYS stiffed me on refunds for the whole family.

AMEX had the transaction reversed into my account within 3 days of me calling 

Really depends. You will have already paid the balance by October, or whenever you might get a shot, so at that point you're asking for a Chargeback.

Thai Airways is in bankruptcy so a very different scenario.

Check with AMEX, and reiew the terms of the contract with the hospital. I've seen some terms which strongly favor them, and offer no protections to the customer. How will AMEX repsond in three +  months? Who knows? They would contact the merchant (hospital) to determine the terms of the contract. Would the government step in? Maybe.

Again this has "mess" written all over it.

If an order had been placed with Zuilleg/GPO confirming delivery date(s), then pre-paying seems a reasonable bet.

As it stands now, I can't see any Moderna making it here much before Feb 2022, and even then it will be maybe 1 MM doses.

And a second dose, 28 days later. Yeah, that won't be happening. Throwing the whole effort into a standard Thai mess.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, JCauto said:

Sorry for the repetition, but this is my regular post where I point out that the impoverished country to Thailand's East, the one where the majority of Expats don't pay any tax to the government or have to deposit large sums of money just to have the right to stay, the one that doesn't have dual pricing as a matter of course...also known as the Lao People's Democratic Republic has provided for months already vaccines (AZ or Sinopharm) to ALL expats ENTIRELY for FREE with ZERO discrimination in regard to whether the locals or the expats get access.

Just so you know where y'all stand in their eyes.

Isn’t that the same country that makes it illegal for a foreigner to have a relationship with a woman?

I just got this update from "Ram" in CNX:

It does not look good for this year for foreigners in Thailand?

"Due to a lot of legal technicalities"? Only in LOS?

Dear all customers,
According to the meeting between Private Hospital Association and
Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), GPO will confirmed the
number of alternative vaccine, Moderna, ordered from private hospital
within June 2021. Due to a lot of legal technicalities and processes
vaccine expected dates of arrival and number of doses as follows.
●       The first lot is coming in October, 2021 for 4 million doses.
●       The second lot will be coming in 2021 for 3 million doses.
●       The third lot will be coming in 2022 for 3 million doses.

Source: https://www.thansettakij.com/content/covid_19/484178
In addition, according to an announcement on Chulabhorn Royal College’s
website (https://www.chulabhornhospital.com), Sinopharm vaccines are now
unavailable at any private hospitals as public contributions; as a
consequence, the vaccines will be only available for eligible
organizations that has been approved and would sent the vaccine to by
Chulabhorn Royal College. In conclusion please be informed that
Sinopharm is not available for private sale.
For any update about the alternative Covid-19 vaccines, reservation or
availability, please keep in touch with us for further announcement.

Edited by sqwakvfr

On 6/28/2021 at 7:11 PM, Ventenio said:

I wouldn't pay 1 baht upfront for anything

Oh, that's a big thing in Capitalism now.

Socialize the risk, privatize the profits.

They have "campaigns" where they accept your cc# for a product.

They only do a production run if they get enough subscribers.

Then I presume, they buy the raw materials and then you have to wait for production to complete.

On the plus side, they only charge your credit card when the order ships to you.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jingthing said:

If I get access to ANYTHING before they might actually deliver on this, I'm prepared to throw the money away as well. It's better to have something earlier than better later. The money involved in this is trivial compared to experiencing a severe case of Covid-19. The lesser brands appear to offer protection against severe cases (but less protection from getting infected).

True, but it might be even better to have something sooner and something later. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

26 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I just got this update from "Ram" in CNX:

Interesting data point.

Matches a bit with other pronouncements.

27 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The first lot is coming in October, 2021 for 4 million doses.

Check

27 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The second lot will be coming in 2021 for 3 million doses.

This would have to be Nov or Dec, right?

28 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The third lot will be coming in 2022 for 3 million doses.

This was 5 MM previously.

Earlier reports had

4 MM October (presumably as a Halloween "treat")

1 MM in early 2022

5 MM sometime in 2022

Nothing has been ordered, so suspect these dates/volumes were "real" during past negotiations. Now, maybe not so real?

18 hours ago, Susco said:

Sorry Sir, but give reading a try before you reply. This is about the Moderna vaccine, not the AZ vaccine, en there are quite a few posts on this forum from people who had registered, and their appointment cancelled.

Have a nice day

What's the difference You want a vaccine ,who's gonna say with one is better than the other. Only time will tell. For me it doesn't matter  .AZ or Moderna or any other .

On 6/29/2021 at 8:39 AM, jacko45k said:

Well it is good news in a way, but I am concerned about putting 100% down on this. 

Bkk hospital in HH has no idea of any vaccine registration.  Don’t waste your time even thinking about getting a jab.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MoversandShakers said:

Not subject related, but ohhh so true.

These AirAsia cowboys created the refund procedures so complicated that NOBODY will be refunded.

true, they owe me about 18,000Baht, all their telephone numbers now dead, no e.mail addresses available, try to talk to their online robot 'AVA' and get reply to a different question. Once got a real human on their chatline (12 months ago) abrupt comment was 'cannot refund because the transaction is across several countries and refund would be illegal', then 'sorry, we have time limit' and connection terminated. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I can't understand why everything on the television here is in Thai. Just another plot to make farang feel uncomfortable I think. ????

If the Thai people would simply make an effort to learn multiple foreign languages it would ease that tension somewhat. To be honest though, as an American I've noticed this nationalistic attitude in a number of foreign countries. It's annoying but I'm a big enough person to let it pass.

I can't believe that in this day and age I still run into this kind of message ("Wake up, you're on ThaiVisa!" - had to pinch myself...) 

Context wise, the two modifiers "Thai" and "American" in the above passage are totally interchangeable. In other words, substitute "American" for "Thai" and vice versa, the message still holds "true," even though in spite of being American myself, that "truth" doesn't make the grade: because Thailand is poorer a country doesn't make its people second or third-grade and have to stoop to accommodate 1st-world demands.

Edited by watthong
  • Thanks 1