The pandemic: Rich Thais get richer and low income earners get poorer

webfact

27 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Tax the rich...

The interest is taxed at the bank. 

Equal rate.

It is quite unfortunate, that 1000thb if generate 1% a year = 10thb minus tax,

Vs.

100 million at 1% a year = 1 million thb minus tax.

Unless the money made illegally, it is how it is.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not very fair is it?

Everyone should be taxed the same.

From an opportunity to make money it can seem a bit unfair

If you look though at 2 people, one born rich, one born poor, it can seem fair to have higher tax rates for the richer person who is ten steps ahead, not only in income but the opportunity to make income, before things get going. 

In reality often the first dollar takes hard work. The ten millionth dollar generally not so..

It depends on how you see the role of each person in society..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So what 70% tax on those with millions and then 70% on those with little to nothing.  How would that be fair.  Tax those that make more money and include an inheritance tax on those trust fund babies.

What an extremely distorted way of thinking. I wonder if jealousy is an ingredient here. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not very fair is it?

Everyone should be taxed the same.

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So rich people already pay more taxes as they buy more expensive products. 

Why should the lazy man that lives next door to me , who spends his days on a hammock drinking cheap whisky, use the same facilities that I pay tax on, when I am stuck on my computer working all day?

So what do you propose, making the poor people pay the same amount of money so they can use the same facilities you do because you feel disenfranchised.  It is unfortunately the same as the people getting free services when others pay to have the services created and also use it, like the medical facilities.  Sounds like your the one who might be a little jealous of the lazy neighbor using the pool while you work and can not use it.  Oh well at the end of the day, there is nothing either you or I can do about it now can we.

• Like 2

No question about this. Covid has been devastating to the average low earner, worldwide. There are a few exceptions, like the bizarre labor shortage taking place in parts of the US right now.

And the high income folks, and the rich folks seem to have done quite well. Also, although I am not a conspiracy theorist, there is so little about the "covid narrative" that seems to be factual and accurate. And when you look at the kind of malfeasance, neglect, indifference, sabotage and destruction the authorities have wreaked upon the people of this nation, one does wonder if there may be an alternate agenda at work here, than what appears to be happening, on the surface. Same may apply elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I guess the richest in Thailand failed to follow through.....

Thai PM Prayut's appeal to billionaires to help ease Covid-19 pain highlights big business privileges

BANGKOK - Speculation is rife about who among Thailand's billionaires will be called up by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha after he announced he would invite the kingdom's 20 richest people to join his government in easing pandemic-induced hardship.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thai-pm-prayuts-appeal-to-billionaires-to-help-ease-covid-19-economic-pain-casts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

So what 70% tax on those with millions and then 70% on those with little to nothing.  How would that be fair.  Tax those that make more money and include an inheritance tax on those trust fund babies.

Tax is legitimised theft from the poorer classes to the rich and has always been thus since their inception of landowners demanding tribute from those on the land.

You should be able to have a say in what your entire tax contribution is spent on and how if indeed taxes are still a thing in the coming decades. 

Hopefully with the advent of new technologies we are not far off this. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Tax the rich...

That is exactly what they are doing.

If you are familiar with Thai income tax rates, you would have noticed that the rich are taxed seven times as high rate as those of the poor, paying any tax, and that group is rather lower middle class. Poor people don't even pay income tax, as only little over four percent of the population pays income tax in Thailand.

What is the government doing? Our bank account balance should be confidential! 

Why are they looking at our bank accounts whether it is going up or down?

Edited by EricTh