divorce advice required from Uk guy, stuck with a nice house over there, yup in her name - dammmm

reddo1973

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OP doesn't say where they were married, but if in Thailand why would a British family court have any say in a divorce, and even if married in the UK have any control over property in Thailand? Bit outside their jurisdiction IMO.

Country of residence has jurisdiction.

UK divorce court has jurisdiction over worldwide assets.

My Brit pal was divorced in the Uk and she got his Brit house and his French house.

Seemed a bit unfair to me, but that's the way it is in the UK.

• Like 1

Seems u are after some security so u shouldn’t have bought the house in her name anyway how about estimate the value of your house.

lets say 4,000,000 Bht then list a mortgage on the house in ur name of 2,000,000 at the title-deed. So in case of a sale u will receive that 2M Bht before her getting the remaining.

Btw what’s ur age gap?

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

Thanks all for your comments - it's appreciated. This wasn't a click bait, or trolling going on so I am surpised at some peoples words suggesting it may have been.

With clear communication and doing the right thing for everyone and I am sure we it'll be fine.

Good luck everyone and thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Unless she agrees in writing to split on a 50%/50% basis on everything including the house, then: 
1) listen and note in writing, what she expects IF there is an amicable way out of it
2) stay married and both carry on with their separate lives 
3) transfer the property into the names of the three children
4) just forget about everything and start anew at square 1

Good luck! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What do you envisage a lease will achieve ? A lease wont make any difference to you getting 50% of the house. A lease would insure you have ongoing right to live in the house until its sold etc but if your wife is happy to sign a lease (she is the landlord), she is agreeing to you living in the house anyway, making a lease unnecessary.

If your wife agrees that you get 50% of the house sale then a lease or even divorce doesn't make any difference, if she doesn't agree then a lease wont change that.

A long term, registered on the title deeds, lease will make the property harder to sell.

I think we don't have enough info to answer... Married where??? When was the house purchased??? ( before or after marriage), etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As I see it, from the limited information given the Op has two choices-

1/ stay married but live seperate lives.

2/ get divorced and take whatever deal the wife is willing to agree to. I don't see that the OP has any hope of getting what he wants.

In worse case, an accident can happen very quickly. 5555555

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

I think we don't have enough info to answer... Married where??? When was the house purchased??? ( before or after marriage), etc. 

Yup if bought after Thai marriage its 50/50 anyhow

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A lease would insure you have ongoing right to live in the house until its sold etc

Not until it is sold. A properly registerd lease stays until it expires or both parties agree to remove it. The property will be worth much less with a long lease on, that's all 

1 hour ago, 3NUMBAS said:

you just write it off like everyone else did

Thai family courts are actually good at ensuring that assets bought after marriage are shared 50/50, regardless of if one is a foreigner or not. If marriage is registered of course 

• Thanks 2

"When was the house purchased??? ( before or after marriage), "

The house is in her name. she won't agree with divorce. They will go to court, she will win the house. And definitely she will win "alimony" for the 12 years old and perhaps some for herself. 

Edited by The Theory