Thailand reports another daily record of 9,326 COVID-19 cases, 91 more deaths

webfact

54 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand to allow home isolation for asymptomatic #COVID19 patients who have no underlying diseases and have separate bedroom as hospitals are near capacity. Community isolation at temples and schools is also suggested. Patients will be given telemedicine calls and prescriptions.

https://twitter.com/tappanai_b/status/1413812838527770625

It was always just a matter of time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Noticed that Thailand's spiraling COVID caseload got mention in yesterday's daily COVID report from Johns Hopkins in the U.S., and not in a good way:

COVID-19 Updates - July 9, 2021

"Analysis by Reuters indicates that 19 countries* are currently reporting a daily incidence that is 90% or greater of their highest peak....

The South-East Asia region accounts for a third of the countries globally that are currently exceeding 90% of their highest peak, stretching from Bangladesh to Indonesia.   Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam are all at their highest peak. Additionally, Malaysia is at 92% of its record high, and Cambodia is at 92%."

Worth repeating for emphasis: "Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam are all at their highest peak."

Johns Hopkins also had an update on the growing trend of health officials to recommend a second vaccine shot of the mRNA variety (Pfizer or Moderna) for those who had their first shot of the AstraZeneca variety:

"MIX & MATCH VACCINES This week, Germany became one of the first countries to strongly recommend that anyone who received the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine for their first dose should receive a dose of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines for their second dose. The German Standing Committee on Vaccination (STIKO) said those who received a first dose of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine "should get an mRNA vaccine as their second dose, regardless of their age." Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization made a less strongly worded recommendation last month when it said "an mRNA vaccine is now preferred as the second dose for individuals who have received a first dose of AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD vaccine."

I received their COVID update by email, but they haven't updated it yet to their website because of the July 4 holiday period:

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/COVID-19/COVID-19-SituationReports.html

The above makes me wonder whether any of the seemingly few expats here who've already received the Thai government AZ vaccine first shot will have any opportunity to have their second shot be from the 1.5 million Pfizer doses the U.S. is giving to Thailand, of which 150,000 are supposed to be set aside for older foreigners and those with chronic conditions.

Knowing this is Thailand, my guess as to the ultimate answer to that question is a likely NO. The officialdom here will probably say, "You got your first dose of the wonderful Thai made AZ vaccine, and you're going to get your second dose of the same, come hell or high water."

Hopefully I can get the second shot as a Pfizer jab.  However, reading another OP where Sheryl posted it does not appear that mixing the vaccines will suffice for a vaccination card or possibly be honored for international travel.  Only time will tell I guess.

20 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

From what I read in that article, the Russians claim that Sputnik is effective against delta but provided no data to back up that claim.

I would say that the jury is still out.

This is a scientific assessment. But do we need a scientific assessments here? There are hundreds of adenovirus based vaccines that have already shown that using the adenovirus based technology lead to production of highly effective vaccines. Do we need another one?
About 0.5-1 year is required to prepare a reliable scientific publication. And are there anyone interested in these reliable data in 2022? I think that in 2022 everybody will look for a medication for "omega" strain of COVID and delta will be a forgotten history for sure. So the strategy of waiting for scientific assessments is useless in fighting COVID. That is why we see that about 70 countries have approved Sputnik V. These countries rely on the most recent real world data only 
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01813-2

The main goal of the vaccine diplomacy is to expand influence of the country:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-china-are-beating-u-s-vaccine-diplomacy-experts-say-n1262742

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason for a vaccine manufacturer to lie about its effectiveness against the delta variant (or any other variant). Just because lying will void all the previous efforts to expand influence of the country by providing effective vaccines.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Hopefully I can get the second shot as a Pfizer jab.  However, reading another OP where Sheryl posted it does not appear that mixing the vaccines will suffice for a vaccination card or possibly be honored for international travel.  Only time will tell I guess.

That's a surprise to me... But I think the medical community is coming around to the value/efficacy of a mixed dose regimen for AZ then mRNA.... I suspect at some point, if not now, it will be accepted as normal full vaccination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Health care workers face a lot higher exposure to the virus and have higher rates of infection than any other profession.

Well, your links didn't work but I found one that did.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341045223_A_rapid_systematic_review_of_the_efficacy_of_face_masks_and_respirators_against_coronaviruses_and_other_respiratory_transmissible_viruses_for_the_community_healthcare_workers_and_sick_patients

Assuming that these conclusions were the same as in the article that ultimately was published, it looks like you, or whatever source you relied on, were cherry-picking.

image.png.a697e5a984e993b36e9dc039e6177560.png

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341045223_A_rapid_systematic_review_of_the_efficacy_of_face_masks_and_respirators_against_coronaviruses_and_other_respiratory_transmissible_viruses_for_the_community_healthcare_workers_and_sick_patients

Yeah that's the one and I realise that health care works are exposed more to higher concentrations than most people but it does illustrate my point.They use a lot of word like the "study suggests" or masks may be beneficial.Nothing conclusive apart from their statement that they were ineffective in healthcare settings.All the studies use this inconclusive language that suggest things but nothing conclusive.  

2 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

This is a scientific assessment. But do we need a scientific assessments here? There are hundreds of adenovirus based vaccines that have already shown that using the adenovirus based technology lead to production of highly effective vaccines. Do we need another one?
About 0.5-1 year is required to prepare a reliable scientific publication. And are there anyone interested in these reliable data in 2022? I think that in 2022 everybody will look for a medication for "omega" strain of COVID and delta will be a forgotten history for sure. So the strategy of waiting for scientific assessments is useless in fighting COVID. That is why we see that about 70 countries have approved Sputnik V. These countries rely on the most recent real world data only 
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01813-2

The main goal of the vaccine diplomacy is to expand influence of the country:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-china-are-beating-u-s-vaccine-diplomacy-experts-say-n1262742

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason for a vaccine manufacturer to lie about its effectiveness against the delta variant (or any other variant). Just because lying will void all the previous efforts to expand influence of the country by providing effective vaccines.

It’s normal in the scientific community for research to be peer reviewed I believe. 

I don’t see why the Russian Sputnik results should be any different.

it may not be a question of lying, mistakes can be made, research can be flawed. Peer reviews can help ensure those don’t happen.

every vaccine is reviewed before approval and not because the manufacturer might lie. 

as for 2022, I guess we will all have to deal with that when it comes.

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

There is a study in the UK that shows mixing and matching AZ and Pfizer gives the best of two very good worlds.

If only we had access to any of them over here, even the Sputnik vaccine sounds very promising to me when I read about what it is and how it works.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yeah that's the one and I realise that health care works are exposed more to higher concentrations than most people but it does illustrate my point.They use a lot of word like the "study suggests" or masks may be beneficial.Nothing conclusive apart from their statement that they were ineffective in healthcare settings.All the studies use this inconclusive language that suggest things but nothing conclusive.  

Aren’t masks compulsory anyway outside? If So does it matter if they work or not? Seems choice of mask type is the only discretionary bit.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

I'm thinking with the thousands of infections within the prison there must be a lot of infections amongst the gaurds and other prison workers.  The workers must have familys and mingle amongst the public.

What an awful job!

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

If only we had access to any of them over here, even the Sputnik vaccine sounds very promising to me when I read about what it is and how it works.

I've read the same about Sputnik.  Supposed to be very effective.

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Noticed that Thailand's spiraling COVID caseload got mention in yesterday's daily COVID report from Johns Hopkins in the U.S., and not in a good way:

COVID-19 Updates - July 9, 2021

"Analysis by Reuters indicates that 19 countries* are currently reporting a daily incidence that is 90% or greater of their highest peak....

The South-East Asia region accounts for a third of the countries globally that are currently exceeding 90% of their highest peak, stretching from Bangladesh to Indonesia.   Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam are all at their highest peak. Additionally, Malaysia is at 92% of its record high, and Cambodia is at 92%."

Worth repeating for emphasis: "Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam are all at their highest peak."

Johns Hopkins also had an update on the growing trend of health officials to recommend a second vaccine shot of the mRNA variety (Pfizer or Moderna) for those who had their first shot of the AstraZeneca variety:

"MIX & MATCH VACCINES This week, Germany became one of the first countries to strongly recommend that anyone who received the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine for their first dose should receive a dose of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines for their second dose. The German Standing Committee on Vaccination (STIKO) said those who received a first dose of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine "should get an mRNA vaccine as their second dose, regardless of their age." Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization made a less strongly worded recommendation last month when it said "an mRNA vaccine is now preferred as the second dose for individuals who have received a first dose of AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD vaccine."

I received their COVID update by email, but they haven't updated it yet to their website because of the July 4 holiday period:

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/COVID-19/COVID-19-SituationReports.html

The above makes me wonder whether any of the seemingly few expats here who've already received the Thai government AZ vaccine first shot will have any opportunity to have their second shot be from the 1.5 million Pfizer doses the U.S. is giving to Thailand, of which 150,000 are supposed to be set aside for older foreigners and those with chronic conditions.

Knowing this is Thailand, my guess as to the ultimate answer to that question is a likely NO. The officialdom here will probably say, "You got your first dose of the wonderful Thai made AZ vaccine, and you're going to get your second dose of the same, come hell or high water."

I don’t think Thailand is at the point where it is considering which vaccine is best, let alone whether it’s a good idea to mix and match. I sense it’s a case of get supplies of “stuff” and whack it into the nearest available arm. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

Wife's cousins all caught the virus in Bangkok, been a week and still can't get a hospital room.  Their child can hardly breathe, pretty sad state of affairs at the moment.

Just fyi, the "sad" emoticon wasn't aimed at you or your post, but rather, the news you reported therein....  I'd assume that would be obvious, but just wanted to make that clear. Sad state of affairs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

It’s normal in the scientific community for research to be peer reviewed I believe. 

Yes, it is normal price for getting a scientific result. But I don`t see a scientific result here. Making just another vaccine with the 20+ year old technology is not a scientific result.
So I can't see any scientific publication before release of new cars. Because making internal combustion engines is a very old technology and there is simply no sense to spend 1 or 2 years in order to provide just another proof that it is working.

• Haha 1

sad situation all over the world- Indonesia has its bad days with so many death and infection.

In Thailand they have implemented "curb on travel, Malls, beauty clinics, spas and massage shops to be closed or limited "

Soon, the Phuket Sandbox visitors  14 days forced holiday  will have only one choice is " to go home " . with the pandemic raging in other part of  Thailand , one can't expect that Phuket goes back to normality. Bad decision and of course bad timing.

Even if you were quarantine in Bangkok,  returnees, will have difficulty to  leave to the other provinces for fear of spreading the virus.

what happened to the Thai vaccination program?

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I really wasn't planning on going anywhere, anyway. Already been in de facto home isolation for quite some time, and don't see that changing any time soon...

I think I'd prefer to stay in my cocoon at this point, and not risk mixing and traveling in the outside world.  Let the uniformed boys with toys have their fun...

We have an elderly friend who lives alone in Nonthaburi we try to visit and take items to every other week, so my concern is we can not get to her.

2 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

Yes, it is normal price for getting a scientific result. But I don`t see a scientific result here. Making just another vaccine with the 20+ year old technology is not a scientific result.
So I can't see any scientific publication before release of new cars. Because making internal combustion engines is a very old technology and there is simply no sense to spend 1 or 2 years in order to provide just another proof that it is working.

Well:

1. They aren’t making cars and car designs do in any case have to meet safety standards, emission limits etc. so I don’t think that is a valid analogy. In fact, the VW emission scandal kind of blows up your whole point. The company lied about its emissions results in the USA and paid very hefty fines.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi6pb2rv9jxAhV4zjgGHeu7DTMQFjAAegQIAxAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fbusiness-34324772&usg=AOvVaw2uXSgql-QKymKUjdqqQvME

2. Why do you suggest peer reviews might take 1-2 years? A very wide time range btw.  Covid Vaccine research is being peer reviewed all the time and results released on an expedited basis. Obviously the larger the study, the longer time it takes.

I understand what you are saying. The Sputnik vaccine uses old technology so no need to check it. Presumably sinovac and sinopharm fall into that category also.

Personally I think I prefer vaccines to be checked as far as is humanly possible before being used. Even now, all the vaccines have been rushed to market because, well, needs musts. But there is an inherent risk in doing that.

I’m surprised you feel normal checks can be removed but you’re entitled to your opinion. I just disagree.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So we are locked in now.....

Sounds like a lovely place for a care free holiday!  I do hope I can snap some pictures of people lined up at hospitals desperate to get in to show my grandmother.  

13 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

For that matter the basis of mRNA vaccines is also old technology. What is informally called the launching pad has been around for a while. It's only the payload that differs. And it's a simple payload. 

So whether the payload is delivered by an a virus or by lipids is immaterial.

And no, it doesn't take 1 or 2 years to do a peer-reviewed scientific study.There have been plenty of peer-reviewed studies published already. Stop making things up.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

yes... except, they're still running 140,000 doses per day short of their own self-stated goal of getting 70% of the population fully vaccinated by the end of the year.

And they're going to fall further and further behind with every passing day that they come up short, including on every weekend thus far when those 300K-400K dose counts drop to 100K or so.

if I understood - It is the first dosage ..It does not classify  you as  being vaccinated .You are vaccinated when you receive the 2 dosages. 

Let us understand the probability here :  one of  the two shot of the vaccine, lower efficient or poor  vaccine due to the uncontrolled Delta virus. all can contribute to be infected while waiting for the 2nd dosage.

Adding to that:  medical staff being vaccinated with the Sinovac to receive a dosage of Pfizer for better protection. 

We all hope for the best ....

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Troops swift to block routes out of #Bangkok ahead new lockdown on Monday.

The country’s Supreme Commander, General Chalermphol Srisawat, has also ordered military patrol units to supplement the operations of the checkpoints in preventing any mobility which may accelerate the spread of COVID-19 in other provinces.

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1413803587637940226

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/troops-swift-to-block-routes-out-of-bangkok-ahead-new-lockdown-on-monday/

They could at least let us know where they are and what criteria is being used to allow for necessary travel!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, the green light said:

if I understood - It is the first dosage ..It does not classify  you as  being vaccinated .You are vaccinated when you receive the 2 dosages.

Unfortunately, the Thai govt. has been periodically fudging on its use of the term "vaccinated."

It reopened Phuket province talking about having met its requirement that 70%+ of the residents first have been vaccinated. But what it ended up meaning was, 70% got only their first shot, and not even 60% last time I checked had been "fully vaccinated. (two shots)"

As different studies have shown, especially regarding the Delta variant, one dose only of the Sinovac vaccine is not a very strong protection against contracting and becoming ill from the coronavirus... But they went ahead on the basis of 70%, one shot anyway.

40 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

No. These kind of real world studies never will conclusively come to an absolute positive about anything. They always couch their language carefully like this. The fact that you represented this as the entire conclusion of the article rather than quoting the whole conclusion shows where you are coming from. It's deceptive to pull stuff like that. Almost certainly you got this reference  from some denialist website. Maybe you were conned, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1