Thailand reports new daily record of COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

Agreed. Again, IMO, the point should be made, that what are being called "cases" are often infected but asymptomatic people. Those people, when vaccinated, frequently, (but not always I agree) just recover.... so the current increase in, for example, UK numbers, is nothing like as worrying as it was last year.

The current increase in Thai numbers is very worrying

As ever the key is vaccination (or lack of)

Yes lets not muddy the waters. Countries like Israel or UK ( and Germany soon) are furthest ahead on the better vaccines like Pfizer or AZ but

1) Delta Variant is easier to catch and is rising in Western nations

2) Even vaccinated have picked it up (although most teens not double vaccinated are more vulnerable) 

3) But the hospitalisation rate of the double vaccinated rate is very, very low and hardly no deaths. 

4) Most deaths of middle aged or older in highly vaccinated countries are the unvaccinated

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, peter48 said:

Yes lets not muddy the waters. Countries like Israel or UK ( and Germany soon) are furthest ahead on the better vaccines like Pfizer or AZ but

1) Delta Variant is easier to catch and is rising in Western nations

2) Even vaccinated have picked it up (although most teens not double vaccinated are more vulnerable) 

3) But the hospitalisation rate of the double vaccinated rate is very, very low and hardly no deaths. 

4) Most deaths of middle aged or older in highly vaccinated countries are the unvaccinated

3rd post re same stuff.

Are you currently in Thailand?

Have you been able to obtain 2 shots or even 1.

Was it AZ or sinovac.

There's no damn vaccine here in Thailand.

What there is available is not the type of vaccines that you refer to.

Or do I try Amazon.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, VBF said:

You are correct...BUT....the ability to get a new phone, or yours repaired MIGHT be a lifesaver. Very few people I know in Thailand have landlines so a mobile might be their only form of communication rather than just a fashion accessory.

You’ve been talking to my young daughter. She assures me that having a new phone is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

sorry, being flippant, I know you were being serious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Do you know the funniest thing about dandermans obsession?

once this 4th wave has run its course, peak at goodness knows how many daily cases, the daily admission count will start to fall, and fall, and hopefully fall further.

eventually, daily admissions will fall to the point where new admissions equal discharges. Everybody will breath a huge sigh of relief that we got through the wave.

Meanwhile Danderman goes “oh no! Admissions equal discharges….the hospitals are full!!”

Actually, that point will be reached soon, and it will mean that the system is maxxed out. No one will be breathing a sigh of relief when that happens. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Seems a good way to infect others. Did they actually need any care?

Does it matter if they needed care, they tested positive, and were told to isolate.  They could have infected others had they not followed instructions, which they apparently did.  Good on them.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Swimfan said:

I can’t see the restrictions coming in to effect on Monday having any impact on these numbers. Why wait till Monday giving people the opportunity to move out to the provinces where facilities and resources to deal with large local outbreaks will be very limited. 

They like shutting the door AFTER the horse has bolted.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

May I ask a dumb question. 

Why do so many Thai queue for testing.

Some for MANY hours.

Not a dumb question, if they are not actually sick...I wonder, too. Maybe they are asymptomatic and want to not spread the virus. OR maybe they are on their way to the Sandbox and want to avoid paying for the test before they go.

6 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

9,500 is nowhere near the real number...even every otherwise uninterested Thai I know is aware that the real number is much higher.

if the R rate was 1 which quite frankly is impossible then every 1 person detected infects 1 other person 

Like I said yesterday the limiting factor in these daily numbers will be based on the capacity to test and I am referring to PCR tests - IMO they have reached that limit 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I agree with most of what you say, however this delta as you know is a very different beast, because of the Uk high vaccination rates we can get some insight into what potentially awaits us here in Thailand.

There is one point however in the mortality of delta deaths in the UK. Up until the 28th June out of 117 people who died 50 were were fully vaccinated.

Its an alarming figure I know but true from Public Health England.

https://news.yahoo.com/vaccinated-people-dying-delta-variant-104813911.html

Yes, the fact that the UK is a few weeks ahead of Thailand (I think) in terms of a delta wave, gives a fortunate opportunity for the Thai authorities to see what happens there and plan accordingly.

what am I saying, what am I saying…..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Former red-shirt leader Nattawut Saikua has just posted on Facebook that he has tested positive for #COVID19. “I was vaccinated with 1 dose of AstraZeneca vaccine on 8th June. On 8th July I went to test for COVID-19. I was told a moment ago that I have tested positive.”

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1413867805661798400

The vaccine does not mean you cannot catch covid therefore this news isn't news . Vaccines lessen the chance of serious illness or death from covid ... please note the word lessens ... Hospital admissions and deaths are the real measure of this ( although in Thai admissions may not be due to every positive test being required to hospitalise even if mild or no effects).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thailand set a record single-day high for new COVID cases for the fifth consecutive day with the 9,539 cases reported on Sunday, while also adding 86 new COVID deaths, the country’s second highest tally of the pandemic.

Sunday’s results, with the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus spreading throughout Thailand, brought the country ever closer to predictions that it will soon surpass 10,000 new COVID cases and 100 COVID deaths per day.

The newly reported COVID cases – 9,436 among the general population and 103 among prisoners – came the day before the Thai government’s imposition Monday of a nightly curfew and the closure of some businesses in Bangkok and nine other provinces with high COVID case tolls.

Sunday’s new case count also means Thailand’s tally of daily COVID cases has more than doubled during the past two weeks from levels in the mid 4,000s in late June. Just in the past five days, the country set new COVID case records daily with tallies of starting July 7 of 6,519, 7,058, 9,276, 9,326 and finally today’s 9,539 new cases.

The 86 new COVID deaths reported Sunday was exceeded only by the 91 new COVID deaths the day before. Since the start of the pandemic, Thailand has now recorded 336,371 total COVID cases and 2,711 deaths, although some Thai doctors say the real figures, especially for cases, are likely much higher.

Because of the rapid rise in new COVID cases in Thailand, the country as of Saturday was already reporting record levels of COVID cases hospitalized (80,289), the share of those in critical condition (2,738), and the share of those requiring ventilators to breathe (717). Those numbers are likely to go even higher when updated later today.

The government refuses to supply vaccine for the people. There is no end to this problem as long as there is no vaccine for people up country except the useless Chinese Sinovac. The USA 1.5 million doses is consumed by Bangkok. In Chiang Rai there is not one dose available. Sinovac is reported not to be effective against the Delta variant.  What will they do with the 25 million doses ordered from China?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chrisbangkok said:

The vaccine does not mean you cannot catch covid therefore this news isn't news . Vaccines lessen the chance of serious illness or death from covid ... please note the word lessens ... Hospital admissions and deaths are the real measure of this ( although in Thai admissions may not be due to every positive test being required to hospitalise even if mild or no effects).

Dude you missed the point of the post completely.  No use in trying to explain it to you if you did not bother to read the posts by myself and others.  We all know that the vaccination does not keep you from getting infected once vaccinated.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chrisbangkok said:

You are right about the Covid aspects.

but if it isn’t news, why is it in the Nation newspaper? The guy is a nationally known figure, the news aspect isn’t about vaccines, although perhaps the article helps to highlight that one jab doesn’t make one bullet proof, it’s that a publicly known figure is positive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You assume a awful lot from going a gym, who says those in a gym don't do cardio. 

What I am saying is a pragmatic thing something you don't seem to be able to wrap your head around. Anything is better then nothing and the best thing is what you can do is exercise what you like.

Would you not agree that forcing yourself on a track if you hate it wont last long ? same goes for me forcing people who hate weightlifting lift weights.

I do cardio with my anerobic workout and if you have ever done squats or deadlifts heavy you know they tax your aerobic part too. You assume too much. 

Im saying don't force people into doing stuff they hate as it wont last. NEVER ever you brought up low bodyfat.. that is diet not exercise.

The best exercise is definitely the one you like as then you are most inclined to enjoy it.  And any exercise id indeed better than none.

But we're in a specific situation where the emphasis is most definitely on cardiovascular strength, and a gym is a very inadvisable place to be.  We can't always do what we most like, and I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, am I?

Also aerobic exercise is undoubtedly requires one to breathe more heavily over a prolonged period of time, which is where the benefit is derived.

Yes, I certainly have done my fair share of squat, bench, military press, but I never did deadlifts.  I remember doing them to the point of near black out when I was younger and once or twice nearly puked.  They didn't improve my heart and lung function at all, I think. 

I suppose the main thing is to lose body fat as best one can, and work on heart and lung function.  I don't suppose it matters how you achieve that.

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Why is this important?

The vaccines don't stop you getting covid19. They greatly reduce its effects and chance of dying. They also reduce the risk of infecting others.

I sense there is a dangerous belief creeping in of a mythic vaccine that is 100% effective, instantly protective, without side effects, or adverse effects, and universally available in abundance.

There isn't!  The AZ is comparable with Pfizer in a real world setting.

Thailand's problem is simply shortage, and bad organization.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

So again where do you suggest the vaccines come from.

No Magician Hat handy.

Things might be more feasible if government involves private enterprise, however doubt that's in their mantra.

the other thing to consider is if Thailand actually told the truth about infection rates and ramped up testing then countries (and companies) that are providing vaccines might take more notice of Thailand and push them up the emergency table of need vaccines urgently

As it stands we have the wrong message going out - Phuket open to foreign tourists - more Islands about to do the same - the PM opening up all of the country in 90 days etc etc etc - it is sending the wrong message and is a blatent lie - the situation here is dire 

Case numbers with not go up IMO because there is a limit to how many PCR tests they can do in one day, we all know that the numbers are underreported right now because they never took testing seriously - it leaves us all having to guess what the real numbers are which is less than ideal 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Last week saw 43,765 confirmed infections. This week at this rate maybe 60-70K maybe more. Please anyone say this is not an exponetial increase. Possible 50% increase over a 7 day peiod. The psuedo lockdown will do nothing other than push it out to the provinces.

Ill say it - this is not exponential.   Do you know how numbers grow exponentially?  Not even close to exponential.  It is a 50% increase which is not good.

50 minutes ago, chrisbangkok said:

Oh really.......................... another one, I'm truly surprised how many just do not get this.