Thailand reports new daily record of COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So let the 5% left survive since 95% of the world is vunerable is that your point?

I'm not entirely sure that is what I said is it?   I just stated that obese people are more likely to suffer severe illness from covid than people who are not obese.   It's not a feeling or how I desire the world to work, it is just how it is.   The good news is that for the vast majority of people this is something that they can do something about without relying on an incompetent government to do it for them, and as a bonus it will help with their overall health, both physically and mentally, as well as increase the likelihood of not getting severe illness from covid.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, in Phuket I wouldn’t have to queue for hours. But in any case, in all honesty, I would not go for testing. I would self isolate at home the best that I could. My reasoning would be that I do not want to go to a field hospital, period.

Secondly, even if positive,  the authorities can do no more than have me isolate, EXCEPT that I would be a link in the test and trace chain. If I felt that there was a risk to others that I might have infected them, I would probably go for a test, provided that I didn’t have to queue. If I had to queue, test and trace is already overwhelmed, so my being tested would achieve nothing.

thirdly, this assumes that I remain asymptomatic. If I had symptoms that became uncomfortable, I would go to a private hospital for a test and treatment.

with regard to the people queueing in, I assume, Bangkok, if I were them, I would not queue for a test if asymptomatic. I would self isolate as best I could. If living in small accommodation with other, my best might not be very good, but it’s what I would do.

So basically you would do exactly what I outlined in previous post.

Also I'm still not sure why SO many Thai queue for many many hours to be tested.

In any event not important.

And yes the long queues etc is about  Bangkok.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Most Thais live with their family members, some of them old, in a small place. Their choice is different than your choice; it’s between field hospital vs. putting their loved ones at risk, not between field hospital vs.  air-conditioned condo. 

I already pointed that out re very few Thai would be able to self isolate. Especially if living in Bangkok.

My words in that post.

Unfortunately I don't believe that many Thai would be in the situation to self Isolate, especially those living in Bangkok.

Edited by DrJack54

1 minute ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Do the WHO say working out in a closed environment with lots of other potentially Covid positive people is ok? 

No, you degree of health has almost nothing to do with it. This is well established by now. It’s a lottery. My dad is in his 80’s and one of the inhealthiset people I know...when he got Covid we though he was dead for sure. 2 days in ICU and he came out fine while other much younger and much healthier people died.

I've no doubt that there are many anecdotal stories of those that considered prime candidates to die from covid that survived it without an issue and vice versa, but the science and statistics state unequivocally that obese people are more likely to suffer severe illness than non obese people:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/obesity-and-covid-19.html

Yes, it is still a lottery, but the higher the BMI, the more tickets you are buying to get the severe illness prize.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Macrohistory said:

If outdoors, then not such a problem.  But a packed gym full of heavily-breathing people not wearing masks is a COVID disaster waiting to happen.

Outside is also a problem it's just inside is worse. All you need is to inhale the breath of an infected person. Hence mask wearing is crucial. Might not be 100% protection but not wearing a mask is 0% protection. Fleeting contact transmission this variant.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Of course one should not wear a mask while going to the gym. I gave up on working out when they said a mask is mandartory. I Got enough troubles as is while doing a heavy set of exercise.

Roids probably don't help against covid Though staying in shape like you said does. Roids only help against burns (they were were first used to treat burn victims and roids often help people with injuries recover faster. But that is different from a virus).

No gym I have been in was packed but that is bangkok more upscale gyms (think they are all closed now) I workout at home now in my home gym with some friends. It pays to stay in shape and work some of the stress away.

Also, obesity is a major factor in determining how much of a threat covid poses.

Edited by placeholder

3 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Lol my comment quality on here has started to vary widely. The good stuff was largely unappreciated, so it's devolved into 'for my own amusement', sadly.

But re: the comment that I quoted, the guy made the implication that regular gym-goers also tend to be steroid users. Which anyone who exercises regularly would know is false.

More anecdotally, I have noticed that relatively more fit people, and relatively higher achieving people, have tended to have more of a laissez-faire attitude towards Covid (suspect that varies widely by profession though), and I've also noticed that ThaiVisa Asean Now members tend to skew older and male with relatively high alcohol consumption and populist outlooks. So just playing my probabilities here.

????  "Relatively more fit" and "relatively higher achieving people" are in fact more likely to take COVID seriously, for a variety of complex reasons.  It would be "relatively self-absorbed and naive people" who take a laissez-faire attitude toward the pandemic.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Swampy999 said:

Will someone please enlighten me as to <deleted> closing 2 motorways for 7 hours is going to do?

Stop those from sneaking past the checkpoints as they flee from the city.....that's what my friends dog told me.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

I workout hard and regularly, in good shape still i fear covid.. there goes the all in your comment. I might survive but might cost me a lot of time to recover. Its not only about death and being in shape is no silver bullet.

Ditch the gym and take to the track.  Try to get body fat to a minimum.  It's still no guarantee but it's slim Jims who seem to have most protection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The 900 queue cards for free covid testing at Wat Phra Sri Mahathat, Bang Khen District, ran out at 6:30am leaving people disappointed

May I ask a dumb question. 

Why do so many Thai queue for testing.

Some for MANY hours.

A few months back the Thai health office issued a statement that said all Thai nationals must be tested for free and treated for free for Covid at any hospital private or government.

But society is the rich and poor, them and us here.... two different worlds and the people in this queue dont have the confidence to pop off to a private hospital and demand a test..... as they would probably be refused even if they had a copy of the ministerial statement with them and if the refusal came to light it would be a misunderstanding, the same as the enormous bills that came to light given to some who did go to a private hospital for covid treatment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Stop those from sneaking past the checkpoints as they flee from the city.....that's what my friends dog told me.

Being nose now but what is the name of your friend's dog?

51 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I blame WHO for saying Thailand was second best in the world for coping with covid

It's no wonder they didn't order enough vaccines if they're being told they're already doing a great job

If anyone believe a compliment from any world organization is worth more than two cents then nothing will prevent them from courting their own death via their own stupidity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swimfan said:

I can’t see the restrictions coming in to effect on Monday having any impact on these numbers. Why wait till Monday giving people the opportunity to move out to the provinces where facilities and resources to deal with large local outbreaks will be very limited. 

Running away is very irresponsible but expected in the land of me, me, me. 

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Lol my comment quality on here has started to vary widely. The good stuff was largely unappreciated, so it's devolved into 'for my own amusement', sadly.

But re: the comment that I quoted, the guy made the implication that regular gym-goers also tend to be steroid users. Which anyone who exercises regularly would know is false.

More anecdotally, I have noticed that relatively more fit people, and relatively higher achieving people, have tended to have more of a laissez-faire attitude towards Covid (suspect that varies widely by profession though), and I've also noticed that ThaiVisa Asean Now members tend to skew older and male with relatively high alcohol consumption and populist outlooks. So just playing my probabilities here.

Are you offering up a definition of ……trolling? 5555

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Not a hope in hell that those Pattaya numbers are anywhere close to reality. I think Pattaya is the one place where you can safely assume the real numbers are at least 10X higher than what is reported.

Brought to you care of domestic tourists looking for a good time. 

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Being nose now but what is the name of your friend's dog?

Rexxx, triple X Rex, he is a Belgian Malinois.......home protection dog I trained for him.  Should have trained him to sniff covid, instead he sniffs the ladies he brings home hence the Triple X name.

39 minutes ago, James105 said:

I'm not entirely sure that is what I said is it?   I just stated that obese people are more likely to suffer severe illness from covid than people who are not obese.   It's not a feeling or how I desire the world to work, it is just how it is.   The good news is that for the vast majority of people this is something that they can do something about without relying on an incompetent government to do it for them, and as a bonus it will help with their overall health, both physically and mentally, as well as increase the likelihood of not getting severe illness from covid.  

Actually, as research on the gut biome progresses, it may not be something that the vast majority of people can do something about. Lots of research points to how antibiotics have altered the gut flora in such a way that losing weight is very difficult.  When I was a kid I remembered the livestock industry was thrilled that antibiotics helped animals gain weight faster.